Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Raincoats. What is the best....

Swannies should be banned. I wore them for many years when that was all we had. Weigh a ton when wet and the chill factor from a cold wind when they are wet is lethal.

Tramping and farming gear beats the flash hunting stuff.
    Ive just bought one of these from Farmlands, https://www.betacraft.co.nz/product/...d-fjord-parka/
    Last edited by Tahr; 28-06-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    Phil_H likes this.

Found them to be good in the bush.
    When shepherding I had a few so hung them up to dry.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Swannies should be banned. I wore them for many years when that was all we had. Weigh a ton when wet and the chill factor from a cold wind when they are wet is lethal.

Tramping and farming gear beats the flash hunting stuff.
    Ive just bought one of these from Farmlands, https://www.betacraft.co.nz/product/...d-fjord-parka/
    Heading into the NW Ruahines in 1973 there was a wealth of hunting gear available...Jackie Howe, Mountaineer Bush shirt and Swannie and a rubbish bag if you were high tech.The local shearer who came along in 1973 used even more expensive gear...rugby boots with the sprigs cut off the bottom of them.We slept in wet woollen clothing in a storm on the top of Ohutu Ridge in 1976 and survived with gale force winds.My hunting mentor told me to shut up and would talk to me in the morning if we survived.He had 2 labs wrapped around his body until 1 vomited after eating possum. Madness.
    Tahr, Shearer, bumblefoot and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    If you don't "need" camo then I'd be looking at jackets made for mountaineering etc, especially the heavier duty versions (which are still light compared to most hunting jackets). Good, Lightweight mountaineering gear is designed to bring maximum performance for minimum weight. My main jacket is an Arcteryx Alpha SV. It's expensive but miles ahead of hunting jackets for function and protection (imo). I was at a shoot on the West Coast last November, pissed down all day and I was dry all day. Mates with their cool looking camo jackets had wetted out by midday and were soaked through completely and cold.

I was pretty tempted by a Jottnar jacket, but got my Arcteryx in a 50% off end of season sale

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Hagloffs, mountain hardwear, even Montane are worth a look. Streets ahead of the hunting branded stuff. Arcteryx seems to be leading the pack for now though. Goretex, eVent are great fabrics. The “hyper-super membrane” knockoff special you see in most hunting coats not so much. Most army surplus coats will be better if you can find new.

Spent all of last Sunday hunting in the rain and cold with the Game Gear Swampy under the $99 desert cam army goretex jacket. Warm and dry all day

armyandoutdoors.co.nz/collections/camouflage-jackets/products/british-95-desert-mvp-jacket
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    Has anyone tried the new Huntech range of coats ?
    They seem to be really waterproof.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Had one for a couple weeks, I’ve actually been very impressed with it. Was using it in some pretty bad westland scrub this week. A couple of inches on top of the scrub so just put my hood up and pushed through, dry as a bone and jacket still looks new, the dream bulls on the other hand got torn up

The tussock jacket is the one I’m referring to

@Phil_H Ha ha; me an influencer? Shit no! But seriously; most of my mates use the older DPM version and now the desert cam; they seem to last forever. There's a lot of cheap new desert cam available as the US etc have changed camo pattern
    Phil_H likes this.

Is this Cactus stuff available through a store or is it online only..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Is this Cactus stuff available through a store or is it online only..?

They sell from the shop out the front of the factory* in Chch and have a store in Welly too.

Is a place they sew things called a factory?
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    They sell from the shop out the front of the factory* in Chch and have a store in Welly too.

Is a place they sew things called a factory?
    Pretty sure it’s a factory. Thanks for the info. Hoping there was a outlet closer to home. Especially with clothing I like to try be I buy.

Joe_90 likes this.

From the Cactus website:
    We offer a reduce-risk online shopping experience. If what you received from us is not what you expected, or does not fit, send it back to us in it's original condition with the original tags attached within 14 days and we'll either refund or exchange depending on what you want to do. Refunds are for the costs of the goods only, freight costs are non-refundable. We'll cover the cost of sending out a replacement if you so choose.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    You are on notice @bumblefoot. Your reputation as a NZHS Influencer is on the line.

Following your recommendation I went to Army and Outdoors and bought one. Will give it an outing in the Albury Ranges next Monday.

Have to say, they look new, are very light and are well made. I got the largest size available so it looks a little like a tent on me but that leaves plenty of room for movement, multi-layers underneath and anything else that I wish to keep dry under it. Hell, in an emergency, with the use of my hunting stick I could probably make a tent from it.

Will let you know how it works out.

Cheers
    Phil
    hey Phil if youve got rom to spare bring mummy along to tuck under the jacket .a little bodyheat and who knows what may happen!
    bumblefoot and Phil_H like this.

I second the above, cant go wrong with tramping jackets such as macpac copland. Light weight, shed water dose not absorb and fast drying.

Couple of dairy farmer mates swear by Kaiwaka for rain gear .....