Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Range finder- what's everyone using and why?

Rwt
    I splashed out and upgraded my Bushnell 1500 to a Gunwerks G7 rangefinder. Ranges over a km easy and also is a ballistic computer as well. You get a custom curve rather than a pre programed one. Saves time setting up and taking a shot as it ranges, works out pressure temp and angle and tells you what to dial.

Nobody mentioned the flash Leica geovid with sd card? Are they preprogrammed curves or real ballistic software?

I've got the Swaro laser guide.

It works good, ranges out to 1999m in perfect conditions.

But a mate has the zeiss rangefinder unit. Works heaps better in poor light, thinking of selling my swaro to get the new vortex binos tho.

Chris

Leica and Leica...

Geovids - handy to sight and range, as long as there is little or no incline/decline.

1200B - has TBR and it programable for a range of cartridges.

Love the Leicas, buy one cry once.

I have a Leupold range finder, it was pretty average and never ranged as far as they claimed it would.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    I've got the Swaro laser guide.

It works good, ranges out to 1999m in perfect conditions.

But a mate has the zeiss rangefinder unit. Works heaps better in poor light, thinking of selling my swaro to get the new vortex binos tho.

Chris
    The 8x30 monocular?

Alot of people spend extra money on the long range rangefinders (1600 etc). The way i saw it was why spend extra on something that ranges way more than you going to shoot? I bought a leupold 850TBR and its all i need. It range as far as im going to look at shooting so found it pointless spending extra on the 1200 model etc.
    I like the new model, very light, compact and seems to work quite well and will range out past the Max i look at shooting so that suits me just fine. Sometimes i hear people moaning that a range finder only ranging 1250 etc when it states 1600. i think are you really going to shoot something out that range, fact is they prob never shoot anything out past 800 so whats the point and who cares ?
    Maybe its just me but never did get my head around why people want to range animals at 1.5 km when a good percentage of them are never shooting anything out past 500 and even the long range experts a 1000-1200 model prob will do what they want. If it doesnt range it its a fu ken long way
    Last edited by deer243; 19-12-2016 at 10:58 PM.
    keneff and TianBotha like this.

bushnell fusions!
    they punch way above their weight.
    if ya want a price pm me.
    plenty of ballistic curves with the tbr feature as well.
    they have fixed the blue tint of the old model and are a 3rd the price of the big boys.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    deer243, blake and kiwiazonic like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    The 8x30 monocular?
    Yeah that's the one.

Chris

A couple of advantages of the longer ranging rangefinders is you can range the animal and then range someother places closer and get an idea of how far the shot might be from a particular spot.
    Also the longer ranging ones will range better in brighter mid-day light and less reflective objects.
    Having said all this I have the older Leica 900 scan that can be switched between metres and yards. Bought them back in 2006ish.

I just sold off my lica 1600 had temp and angle too

Had readings over 2k from it.
    Only sold to upgrade to an all in one unit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Alot of people spend extra money on the long range rangefinders (1600 etc). The way i saw it was why spend extra on something that ranges way more than you going to shoot? I bought a leupold 850TBR and its all i need. It range as far as im going to look at shooting so found it pointless spending extra on the 1200 model etc.
    I like the new model, very light, compact and seems to work quite well and will range out past the Max i look at shooting so that suits me just fine. Sometimes i hear people moaning that a range finder only ranging 1250 etc when it states 1600. i think are you really going to shoot something out that range, fact is they prob never shoot anything out past 800 so whats the point and who cares ?
    Maybe its just me but never did get my head around why people want to range animals at 1.5 km when a good percentage of them are never shooting anything out past 500 and even the long range experts a 1000-1200 model prob will do what they want. If it doesnt range it its a fu ken long way
    I would be comfortable taking a shot at 800 if it was an animal I really wanted and my rangefinder is a RX1200tbr, so in theory it's "more than I need" but at least I know that it's gonna range that animal at 800 even in difficult conditions. It's also handy to use just to know a distance between point a and point b, plus ranging gongs etc that may be out further than I would currently shoot in a hunting situation

Vortex Ranger 1500. Ranges deer at 750, I'm sure it would work further. It's the only rangefinder with a lifetime warranty which covers all manufacturers faults and damages caused by user. Buy once, use hard without worrying about it. It has True Ballistic Range.

I take it that with very long range you are best to take line of sight distance and angle and pump that into an app. Taking the horizontal component for drop is only an approximation over moderate distances, as other ballistic factors take effect over the entire flight path.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I take it that with very long range you are best to take line of sight distance and angle and pump that into an app. Taking the horizontal component for drop is only an approximation over moderate distances, as other ballistic factors take effect over the entire flight path.
    No GM, just leave your rangefinder on TBR mode (true ballistic range/angle compensating) no matter what distance you are shooting and don't worry about putting angle into your ballistic app as the rangefinder has already done that part for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    No GM, just leave your rangefinder on TBR mode (true ballistic range/angle compensating) no matter what distance you are shooting and don't worry about putting angle into your ballistic app as the rangefinder has already done that part for you.
    But flight time will be based on actual path, not just the horizontal component. The slowing forces will be on this entire distance, and be a function of your bullet and speed, things your range finder cannot know. If the true path is 1000m and the angle compensated distance only 800m then the compensated distance is only an estimation.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!