Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Refrigeration for your hard earned venison

I've been looking at a unit like the one in your right photo KJ. Think it's about $200.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The current venison in the fridge is a 'loose' fit (lots of air space around it) with nothing touching the sides. The thermostat/temperature control is a 1 - 7 scale (L to R) with a thermometer icon on the right hand side. I've turned it from 1 to 5 and I'll check it in a couple of hours. You may be correct about setting it to freeze.

Name:  Beer fridge & occasional chiller.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  52.6 KB

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I've been looking at a unit like the one in your right photo KJ. Think it's about $200.
    $200 is not bad going. Some of the import ones are a touch less robust. Make sure it has all the shelves and clips. Mines missing a few and I need to scrounge some from somewhere.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    The current venison in the fridge is a 'loose' fit (lots of air space around it) with nothing touching the sides. The thermostat/temperature control is a 1 - 7 scale (L to R) with a thermometer icon on the right hand side. I've turned it from 1 to 5 and I'll check it in a couple of hours. You may be correct about setting it to freeze.

Attachment 44631
    I think that should see you right running it a bit higher up the scale.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    $200 is not bad going. Some of the import ones are a touch less robust. Make sure it has all the shelves and clips. Mines missing a few and I need to scrounge some from somewhere.
    See a few Skope ones popping up in good working order.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    See a few Skope ones popping up in good working order.
    Scope is built in Christchurch and are very good , especially the ones with the refrigeration unit on top. $200 for a good condition Scope is great going IMO
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post

Attachment 44631
    A misconception with thermostats is "if I turn it down colder it will chill faster". Not the case unfortunately, it will only run longer. It will reach temperature in the same time only wont cut out.

Thanks KJ.

P38
    @kiwijames

Thanks.

Plan "A" failed and dumped

Plan "B" beginning to brew.

Cheers
    Pete

Got a double door display cabinet. Works well but the meat dries out on the outside. Is that a humidity problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Got a double door display cabinet. Works well but the meat dries out on the outside. Is that a humidity problem?
    Yes. The refrigeration cycle will always do that. Even the commercial units have this problem. It is fine for Coke cans and packaged product as they are sealed. Anything exposed to the ambient condition will dry out. Keep your venison in the original packaging as long as you can or, if ageing try a vacuum packer or plastic bag. Vacuum packing is my preference. This is the same reason you get freezer burn and lumps of ice in your sealed frozen products. Mini climates in the bag with wet and dry bulb temperatures approaching equal, force the water out of the product and is then re-frozen during the run cycle. It can't go back.
    The fresh fruit and meat industries have very large cooling coils to not only rapidly chill but also reduce water loss from their product. Lighter carcass weight = less money for your product so is money well spent. Every kilo of defrost water is a kilo of cash lost.
    Even the wine guys suffer with what they call "Angels portion". The porous oak casks the wine matures in will leach out some water content and can get up to 5% lost through the the cask in refrigerated storage. This also bumps up the ABV%

A lot of our meat gets boned out in the bush. I'll try wrapping some in glad wrap for ageing.

Its worth noteing a bit of drying can be benificial for handeling the carcass without it picking up all sorts of crap and all those outer guard/sheath muscles should be trimmed off your steak for sausages where they will rehydrate anyway.
    Too much humidity can be very very bad with rot or even mould setting in.

My little chiller struggles in summer temps usually only pulling down to 7-9 degc. It was recently regassed and now ices up the cooler bit quite bad espesially if you put wet deer in there.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    A lot of our meat gets boned out in the bush. I'll try wrapping some in glad wrap for ageing.
    Should work. Make sure the meat has chilled first though. I'm using either a pillow case or mutton cloth to keep it in while cooling down. As Cam said a bit of external drying is not a bad thing.

Always use pillow cases till its cold. Thanks for the advise.