Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Which Safe to go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Anyway, is there any place recommend or best avoid for getting a decent safe?
    Seems to be some good deals on trademe, but I tend to assume the low price is a good indicator of the quality?

Are you better off to go to Reloaders or Guncity than a no name Trademe seller?
    Those edge safes on trademe are value for money. They are sold from there shop on the north shore. I've also seen them for sale in serious shooters shop in Penrose

EDGE SECURITY 5 GUN E-CAT APPROVED SAFE/CA - BLACK | Trade Me
    Yukon likes this.

i saw an edge one up here and thought it was good to but it was $450. I'd buy the same for $250 from the auckland shop but it'll take 5 hours of my day to fetch it and another $80 in fuel so the RD1 option is best for me i think.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Anyone used one of the electronic keypad/ key safes?
    They any good? Just as well built as ya normal key ones?

Or anyone recommend a combination one?

Will go have a look in stores before I buy, but like to get as much info as possible before hand.

R93
    Had this one for 10 yrs.
    E cat. Keypad entry 15 gun safe. Can get into it if batteries run out but I change them every year regardless.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

K95
    I got a sentry safe from the fella on here. 15 gun, keypad entry. Much better than keys though it still has keys for battery failure etc. Came with shelves inside.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Cool, great to know they key pad ones work, once new year comes around will have to start driving around the shops and check some out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Cool, great to know they key pad ones work, once new year comes around will have to start driving around the shops and check some out.
    ...same!

Ive got a keypad 24 gun e cat one. Great safe, fire rated to, easy to get in out of, key over ride if bat flat. I think youd get 12-15 rifles in it, before youd have to start playin jenga to fit/ remove more.
    Space in the top shelf for docs, backup hardrives, etc... (think of it as a business fireproof safe.....) with some space for personal guns.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Ive got a keypad 24 gun e cat one. Great safe, fire rated to, easy to get in out of, key over ride if bat flat. I think youd get 12-15 rifles in it, before youd have to start playin jenga to fit/ remove more.
    Space in the top shelf for docs, backup hardrives, etc... (think of it as a business fireproof safe.....) with some space for personal guns.....

What make is it, or where did you get it from?

Had a look at a kilwell 10 gun E-cat safe today, seems ok to me.
    Though this will be harder to get past the wifey than a new rifle, as in where will she let me put it (I think she well tell me where to put it)... may need to work on it for a while...

Name:  GD-10K.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  90.9 KB

Dix's firearms, timaru. Great guys, the best service, and great price

SentrySafe. Not the cheapest by far, but really well made. The shelving system is pretty good to. F'ing heavy though, but 3 or 4 bits of pipe made it easy to move by one (having a hand getting off their trailor was a big plus! Oh and he worked there to, as said great guys and service!)

As someone else mentioned, dont see the point on spending heaps on what goes in one, to have some prick knick it easy. Plus its e and b cert'd.

@Beetroot
    Last edited by Beaker; 29-12-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Forgot quote

So I ended up going to Reloaders, Serious Shooter Guncity, my local RD1 and Farmlands.

I took a trip up to Auckland, hoping to find a great selection and increase my odds of finding one I liked.
    Reloads had a tiny selection and all were too small or Ecat so to expensive, Guncity also mainly had Ecat ones which were far to expensive.
    Serious shooters had one which was ok, not exactly what I was after but the right size and good price.

I didn't buy anything as I wasn't wowed by anything I saw.
    I decided to take a trip into Morrinsville after I got home and went to RD1 and Farmlands.

RD1 has some no name ones that looked good, but they could only get in a 3-5 gun size, which was to small.

But at farmlands I saw the same one I liked in Serious shooters, but a bit cheaper.
    A buffalo river 10 gun safe, single key, looked sturdily built, much better than some I had seen.

Felt a bit silly not having bought it from Serious shooters, but SS was the first shop I went to and when I saw it there thought I was bound to see something else more suited.
    But after seeing what was available, I'll be going for the Farmlands one.

I was wanting and electronic or combination one, but the only electronic ones I saw were Ecat ones and cost a lot, and saw one combination one at Guncity which was almost twice the price of the Buffalo river one, for the same size Acat safe.

So I was shown again (has happened a lot recently), that you don't have to travel to the big smoke or buy online to get good deals on things.
    Sometimes your small local town has just what you need for a better price than what you find in the city.
    Bryan, Yukon, Beaker and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    There is no safe that will keep out a Dewalt doc cutter, here in the UK we have various gun safes, the law says they must be able to last at least 15mins of attempted break in, no external hinges, I am bringing my bratton safe with me, would it cover your laws ?
    Taff I brought over my Brattonsound 7 gun safe when I moved over. It will do for A cat but E cat needs to be made of at least 6mm steel, but for normal gun ownership yours should be all good.

Well how about this then? Overkill!

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/833029496
    199p likes this.