Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: SCALPEL FOR HUNTING ?

Ok, so just my two cents.

I have been using an Eaglehawk knives talon exclusively for the last three years. Its a steel handle which accepts any number 4 scalpel blade. I have had two iterations, the first which was originally sold in 2018, and the second which was released last year. Functionally there is no difference between the two, the handle thickness has been reduced to reduce weight slightly.

https://eaglehawkknives.com/products/the-talon

Name:  IMG_20210410_104125.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  2.22 MB

The main draw for me was the weight, at about 60 grams with the sheath, and the rigidity of the knife. I had a Havalon Piranta prior to this, and although it was great, the fact that it folded was slightly off-putting.

I have never felt as though I needed a larger, or more rigid knife. I acknowledge that it does take an amount of finesse to remove hip joints, and you have to carefully target any bone junctions with the knife. One on occasion I managed to slightly bend the mounting point of the blade on my earlier model. This isn't a design flaw of the knife, more just user error, as I used the knife to split the sternum on a deer.

Name:  IMG_20201022_205227.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  1.96 MB

As you can see from the photo, the bend was minimal and didn't effect the functionality of the knife.

Thus far, I have used the knife to breakdown sika, red and fallow deer, along with Tahr and Chamois.

Name:  IMG_20191230_203021.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  3.81 MB
    Name:  IMG_20210630_114331.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  4.23 MB
    Name:  IMG_20200509_165956.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  5.61 MB

Sorry I don't have more pictures of me using the knife, abit hard to cut and take photos.

I am always extremely careful when handling the blades when changing them, and when using the knife for breaking down animals. I haven't cut myself with it yet, touch wood.
    This is not a racing knife. You will not be breaking down an animal at world record speeds.
    Tahr, rugerman, tikka and 8 others like this.

I got two from AliExpress, one for me and one for @popshot
    I thought it’d be a handy spare/emergency knife or useful for caping out that big trophy that we all hope we’ll shoot one day.
    I was watching two stags at 350 yards a week or so ago and a pig wandered across the clearing that they were on. I lined up and made a hurried shot as it was about to disappear into the bush, a clean miss and it ran back down the clearing and disappeared into the bush again.
    I continued to watch the two stags, who had mobbed up but weren’t too overly concerned by the shot from the 7mmRM! I was about to leave, when I noticed the pig had reappeared at 200 yards, I didn’t miss this time. I wandered down and went to grab my knife… no knife, luckily I had the little scalpel knife in my pack. It was very sharp, but became a bit dull when I cut off the hocks, I probably wouldn’t do that next time. I since purchased a box of Gerber blades (worth more than the knife!) and it’s sharp again.
    Name:  8F0F5169-0838-41EF-AE79-EE59DA5A99D9.jpeg
Views: 537
Size:  1.15 MB
    It was only a little pig, but the second I’d shot that week.
    Name:  6376B71E-CC76-4759-A8E8-AE59540197A9.jpeg
Views: 526
Size:  1.45 MB
    I’m happy with the purchase, but wouldn’t use it as a main knife, sharpening them is half the fun!
    Tahr, rugerman, Pengy and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I got two from AliExpress, one for me and one for @popshot
    I thought it’d be a handy spare/emergency knife or useful for caping out that big trophy that we all hope we’ll shoot one day.
    I was watching two stags at 350 yards a week or so ago and a pig wandered across the clearing that they were on. I lined up and made a hurried shot as it was about to disappear into the bush, a clean miss and it ran back down the clearing and disappeared into the bush again.
    I continued to watch the two stags, who had mobbed up but weren’t too overly concerned by the shot from the 7mmRM! I was about to leave, when I noticed the pig had reappeared at 200 yards, I didn’t miss this time. I wandered down and went to grab my knife… no knife, luckily I had the little scalpel knife in my pack. It was very sharp, but became a bit dull when I cut off the hocks, I probably wouldn’t do that next time. I since purchased a box of Gerber blades (worth more than the knife!) and it’s sharp again.
    Attachment 180514
    It was only a little pig, but the second I’d shot that week.
    Attachment 180515
    I’m happy with the purchase, but wouldn’t use it as a main knife, sharpening them is half the fun!
    1) 2 that week?? I haven't seen any pork. You are making a pig of yourself
    2) An extra knife for potshot?? What about your bloody Father??

My mate has a Scalpel knife and he likes it.
    At that price it's not a big loss if you don't like it.
    Ftx325 likes this.

I was about to poo poo this but after reading the entire thread....Himmmm I can see that they have some merit.

But, if your stuck out Id really rather have some thing with a bit of weight to it so you can split wood, cut fern etc.

Still like the idea as this as a spare. Not that ive ever bothered with one......hang on dose that swiss army knife in my survial pack count...lol
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    1) 2 that week?? I haven't seen any pork. You are making a pig of yourself
    2) An extra knife for potshot?? What about your bloody Father??
    The "Father" has quite enough knives In fact, some people might even say he has a minor knife collecting problem !
    Tahr, rugerman, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

You can also get a variety of different shaped #4 scalpel blades, so you could have a couple of each different contour for pointy stuff and skinning type work. I've bought them through shoof before
    CBH Australia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    But, if your stuck out Id really rather have some thing with a bit of weight to it so you can split wood, cut fern etc.
    I thought about this as well, then I realised it was kind of fantasy land shit. Because you can't buck logs to a decent length to split. And you can gather and break enough wood by hand if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    This sort of thing @ZQLewis ?
    Doesn't look like 5" blade but is a double folder with scalpel blade one end

Attachment 179226

That's a Havalon Titan.
    I found these on eBay. I bought a Jim Shockey version in a soft case with spare blades, (inspired by this thread)
    It's in the post but the price ranges between $50+ to retail of around $70 our dollars are similar, close enough .

Ilmy mate is a Deer hunter, I know he likes his but not sure on the model he has.
    Ftx325 likes this.

The main advantage of disposable scalpel blades in the medical field is their uniform sharpness and that you can discard them after use. Doctors did use to use resharpenable scalpels with fixed blades, I once bought a couple in from ebay for use in surgery and even though they took a good edge I decided against and they now live in my hobby box. A contaminated blade is simply an unacceptable hazard to staff doing instrument cleaning and resterilization, especially if they are not used to them, not worth going there.

Here is a foldable scalpel handle to reduce the risk of handling scalpels when not in use.

Name:  9ef6d65a_large.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  46.2 KB

A clamshell cast stanley knife with *curved* disposable blade on the other hand would seem useful for skinning.

Name:  ST10-099.gif
Views: 407
Size:  5.9 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Just an update on the scalpel I bought as mentioned earlier in the thread , the carbon fibre handled one from AliExpress.
    I am very impressed with the quality of the knife . Has a liner lock which is strong and appears robust and also has a locking detent to hold blade closed . Takes a fair amount of pressure on the flipper to open so very much doubt it will pop open by itself in pocket etc .
    Very light with carbon scales and they're machined to add texture for grip .
    A little smaller in the handle length than I was expecting but big enough to be useful.
    Seller also threw in an extra 10 blades for free .
    I took to show some workmates who hunt and they're also impressed .
    In fact , I have ordered four more as they all want one as well !!
    So testimony to quality of finish there ....

Name:  IMG20211227100106.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  4.89 MB
    Name:  IMG20211227100020.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  2.43 MB
    Name:  IMG20211227095922.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  2.72 MB
    Name:  IMG20211227095931.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  2.33 MB
    Name:  IMG20211227095952.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  2.37 MB
    Pengy, Micky Duck and paremata like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Just an update on the scalpel I bought as mentioned earlier in the thread , the carbon fibre handled one from AliExpress.
    I am very impressed with the quality of the knife . Has a liner lock which is strong and appears robust and also has a locking detent to hold blade closed . Takes a fair amount of pressure on the flipper to open so very much doubt it will pop open by itself in pocket etc .
    Very light with carbon scales and they're machined to add texture for grip .
    A little smaller in the handle length than I was expecting but big enough to be useful.
    Seller also threw in an extra 10 blades for free .
    I took to show some workmates who hunt and they're also impressed .
    In fact , I have ordered four more as they all want one as well !!
    So testimony to quality of finish there ....

Attachment 186582
    Attachment 186583
    Attachment 186584
    Attachment 186585
    Attachment 186586
    I bought 3 and impressed as well good value

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    Ok, so just my two cents.

I have been using an Eaglehawk knives talon exclusively for the last three years. Its a steel handle which accepts any number 4 scalpel blade. I have had two iterations, the first which was originally sold in 2018, and the second which was released last year. Functionally there is no difference between the two, the handle thickness has been reduced to reduce weight slightly.

https://eaglehawkknives.com/products/the-talon

Attachment 179823

The main draw for me was the weight, at about 60 grams with the sheath, and the rigidity of the knife. I had a Havalon Piranta prior to this, and although it was great, the fact that it folded was slightly off-putting.

I have never felt as though I needed a larger, or more rigid knife. I acknowledge that it does take an amount of finesse to remove hip joints, and you have to carefully target any bone junctions with the knife. One on occasion I managed to slightly bend the mounting point of the blade on my earlier model. This isn't a design flaw of the knife, more just user error, as I used the knife to split the sternum on a deer.

Attachment 179824

As you can see from the photo, the bend was minimal and didn't effect the functionality of the knife.

Thus far, I have used the knife to breakdown sika, red and fallow deer, along with Tahr and Chamois.

Attachment 179825
    Attachment 179826
    Attachment 179827

Sorry I don't have more pictures of me using the knife, abit hard to cut and take photos.

I am always extremely careful when handling the blades when changing them, and when using the knife for breaking down animals. I haven't cut myself with it yet, touch wood.
    This is not a racing knife. You will not be breaking down an animal at world record speeds.
    Get a havalon blade changer - will work with these fine, is only a couple of bucks and much safer for the fingers!

https://targetspecies.co.nz/collecti...-blade-remover

JLF
    I only use Ka-Bar and have a sharpening system.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Rather then starting a whole another thread, so i went to buy some blades for my Gerber vital none in stock and retail $40-$50 for twelve blades so i might look at another option like the Havalon Piranta? by the looks there blades are heaps cheaper?
    Don't use it much but might look at a cheaper blade option