Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Sharpener edge test

I thought so.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I had the spyderco sharp maker with the ultra fine rods as well, a good system with a really well thought out case, however it does not even come close to the edge I can get with the wicked edge, so saying the wicked edge as I have set up now cost well over a grand, so if you only have a couple of knives it’s probably not worth it.
    Extra strops? Or other whizz bang bits

I'm in the hole for around 700 bucks with mine and would say I use it a fair bit. I also have different angles for different knives so being able to record and repeat them, helps a lot and saves a lot of time as most just need a tickle up from 800 then a polish.

I actually just sharpened 2 bahco? Knives. Dunno what steel they use but I can get those bloody things scary sharp really quick.
    That knife you made for me has done a few animals and I still havent touched it. I havent dinged any bone with it tho.
    Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Shelley and CATLINS HUNTER like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I actually just sharpened 2 bahco? Knives. Dunno what steel they use but I can get those bloody things scary sharp really quick.
    Same Swedish stuff as Mora (and out of the same factory) I think? Sandvik 12C27 according to the internet.
    R93 and stevodog like this.

Ordered this with every stone for a play. If no good, will get a wicked edge. I don't have many knife and use them infrequently...but find it satisfying.

#Aliexpress NZ$ 18.87 46%OFF | Knife Sharpener Professional Larger Degree Newest Portable 360 Degree Rotation clip Apex edge EDGE KME system 1 diamond stone
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUvGxDH

Link won't work...came to a $120ish.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Watching with interest, I have a Lansky sharpener here hiding in box somewhere, It will be interesting to see how your sharpeners differ from each other. Be interesting to hear your impression on each as to ease of use etc.
    Could be keen on one of the finished items too.
    How do you find the Lansky system? I've been considering buying one. I've got a handful of knives that I use regularly, but nothing especially fancy.

You cant go wrong at that price, I might have to get one!

I'll post a review once it turns up...
    von tempsky fan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Z View Post
    How do you find the Lansky system? I've been considering buying one. I've got a handful of knives that I use regularly, but nothing especially fancy.
    Waste of money, too much play means the sharpener wobbles all over the blade.
    Puffin likes this.

Sharpener scratch patterns
    2x48 belt sander
    Name:  AB90A070-A241-4D58-BBF8-96409179FF65.jpeg
Views: 295
Size:  1.26 MB
    Pure primary grind, fairly smooth and blends in perfectly, most expensive system, quickest to use but easy to bugger it up and takes a lot of practice to get it right.

Tormek
    Name:  0D7ED9BB-0578-4A6C-B7BF-8ECE08DCA008.jpeg
Views: 279
Size:  1.23 MB
    Second quickest, edge very toothy, Japanese waterstone supposed to be a lot smoother, fantastic for most tools but for blades depends on your needs, would not use if for a chef knife but would for a skinner.

Wicked edge
    Name:  81A0DF6B-03EA-433C-B13C-4A3511FAA13C.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  1.45 MB
    Edge ok, fairly smooth, diamonds are well worn meaning they cut well with no high spots, so saying get much much better results with higher grit, thousand grit leaves a smooth but non polished edge, sharp but not outstanding, not fast, but not super slow.

Tsprof k03
    Name:  605BD244-2082-4BA0-B24F-B612F8EEBDCC.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  1.36 MB
    Slowest method, also sharpest result by a hair, very smooth edge but not polished, will be buying higher grit stones with this one to see how it performs.

Photos taken with iPhone, need a macro lens to show results better, working on that, more cutting to come.
    Tikka7mm08 and viper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Link won't work...came to a $120ish.
    I copied that link and it worked for me. Try this
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Pixie, I haven't used it a lot but I find you need to take your time and guide the stone as you sharpen, I probably need to use it more and get used to using it to be honest. I use a normal stone and a steel still but I have gotten good results from the Lansky, well good enough for my purposes.
    Pixie Z likes this.

I had a Lansky, Its no longer used. I could do more damage with it than anything else. I ended up buying a couple of water stones and perservering / practicing using cheaper knivess until I managed to teach myself how to do it. Now I seem to have got the "knack" its not so bad. I have also learned patience as sharpening the new type steels takes a lot longer on waterstones than I thought. I know diamond stones would be faster but that means more $$
    viper and Pixie Z like this.

Cheers for the advice guys. Think I’ll perhaps pass on the Lansky then. I’ve been using a regular wetstone up til now. Get decent results but would really like to take it to the next level. I like the premise behind the Lansky, being able to precisely get certain angles. But sounds like it’s quite a fiddly system.

Cheers for the advice guys. Think I’ll perhaps pass on the Lansky then. I’ve been using a regular wetstone up til now. Get decent results but would really like to take it to the next level. I like the premise behind the Lansky, being able to precisely get certain angles. But sounds like it’s quite a fiddly system.
    Not fiddly so much as poorly designed, the rods are quite small but the holes they ride in are quite big, as such there is a lot of slop, you can hold a finger under the rod and try and make it more stable but fingers are soft so you still get a lot of play.
    If you can use a stone stick to it, try a waterstone, of it you can spring it a dmt double sided atone, the 8 inch version will get anything sharp and will last forever...or send em to me and I’ll hsrpen them up!