Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 150 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171854104 ... LastLast
Like Tree4623Likes

Thread: Show me your knives

Left to right
    Svord does 90% of my hunting, next was built by the guy from blackbird valley that sells them at the flea market in nelson ,nice shape and great handle but the steel is a little soft,a fallkniven TK4,(present from my wife) the best edge and retention by far and a cold steel pendalton mini hunter which I havn't used enough to comment on yet. I have an old green river skinner and a victory boning for the carcus's that make it home in one piece.

Attachment 1675
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

A handy line up. A Svord like yours just sold for $200 on Trademe. I hear people say that the older Svords are better made than the newer ones, and Raging Bull posted an explanation somewhere on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A handy line up. A Svord like yours just sold for $200 on Trademe. I hear people say that the older Svords are better made than the newer ones, and Raging Bull posted an explanation somewhere on here.
    My last Svord went for $215 + postage a few weeks ago, I bought it a couple of years ago for $100. I had a fairly low reserve/buy now on it but people just kept bidding. It was a well made knife and had a top quality finish, but I didn't like it being unguarded/polished acrylic handle (had a couple of close calls with the slippery handle)... so I upgraded.

Theres a guy on trademe Kamby or something like that who has been buying up an awful lot of knives lately. Older Svords have definitely gone up in price.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Here is my Zedteq slimline Skinner. Very happy with it so far. Skinned out a bull tahr with it this week.

Attachment 1743

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I've just been looking at knife prices, and have been astounded to find that I could bring a Svord knife in from the States for $30-$50 cheaper than I can buy one here for. What's that about?

This is a couple I have made for myself.

Von Gruff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I've just been looking at knife prices, and have been astounded to find that I could bring a Svord knife in from the States for $30-$50 cheaper than I can buy one here for. What's that about?
    Thats crazy, would you be able to post a link to the site?

Doesn't really make much business sense, if your going to market/sell a quality product you need to keep some sort of benchmark. I acknowledge there would be a hell of a lot more competition in the US market, but still, it doesn't quite add up?

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Thats crazy, would you be able to post a link to the site?

Doesn't really make much business sense, if your going to market/sell a quality product you need to keep some sort of benchmark. I acknowledge there would be a hell of a lot more competition in the US market, but still, it doesn't quite add up?
    Shop for case knives, Kershaw and other discount knives at Knifeworks.com - Svord Knives

Look at the 1990 model. $81USD, add $30USD for postage, $111USD. Total landed $147NZD

Outdoors Supplies price, $186

Nice knives Von Gruff.
    CBH Australia likes this.

You guys that make your own sheaths... I have a bahco knife and another knife without sheaths/decent sheaths...

I have some leather kicking around. Where do I buy the brass rivets for fixing leather together? Just wanted to make a fairly basic design for them. Much like Sneeze's one second from the left

Also, Im off to the US of A later in the year and want to bring back some knives... What can you guys reccommend? Want a nice general purpose type with blade around 5in long. So I can stick a pig if I have to but not too big for doing the assholes etc

Von Gruff they are nice. The second one down especially.

Sent from my lazyboy : may have coffee stains
    CBH Australia likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Also, Im off to the US of A later in the year and want to bring back some knives... What can you guys reccommend? Want a nice general purpose type with blade around 5in long. So I can stick a pig if I have to but not too big for doing the assholes etc
    These Hess knives are well made and keep an edge. I've got a different model. Quite hard to find so I doubt you will just pick one up in a shop though. Maybe get one mailed to an address to collect if you wanted one. This steel is known for coming up razor sharp.

Knives - Hess Knives - Outdoorsman - Hess Outdoorsman Black Canvas Micarta Red Liners

These too...

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.co...aa62778a16f63a

The other thing, is that you can get Svord knives a good bit cheaper over there than here. Its weird, but true...

http://www.knifeworks.com/svordknives.aspx
    Last edited by Tahr; 30-05-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Here you go Spanners. Didn't take long to try it out. Performed well, it was a big stag. Stayed sharp for the whole job and I didn't have to touch it up (missing posts refer, this is a Hess knife made from 50-100 steel. Cost $190NZD landed from the states).

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Nice - might have to have a look at getting one I think