Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree4623Likes

Thread: Show me your knives

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    So I have just started making knives, no power tools other than a battery drill. Everything done with a hack saw , files and sandpaper.
    A very slow and testing process for someone with no metal work skills.
    I wanted to start at the bottom and really understand the whole process before moving onto grinders etc.
    I didn't even own a vice or clamps, however I do have a mentor who provided a lot of guidance and honest advice and answers to stupid newbie questions.
    I won't mention names but a big thanks for the patience and friendship.

So here's my first attempt , my design with no particular direction other than a huge test bed to try and experiment with.
    1095 HC steel, mustard etch on ricasso , wood from old postcard / bill holder from Hospice shop.
    Lots of faults but lots learn't and the start of the journey.Attachment 112978

Knife number two, reverse Tanto, why...they look cool ?? Again my design, 1095 HC, resin handles from Etsy.
    A test to see if I could to different angle grinds then repeat on the other side...not easy and not perfect but reasonably successful.
    Ergo's aren't quite right , full vinegar patina, I think the handle could be 20 - 30 mm longer but again I learn't a lot.Attachment 112979

Knife number three, my first real working knife. Kitchen Paring knife for my lovely wife.
    1084 HC, turquoise resin handles with stainless pins and G10 liners.
    So many hours on something so small, not perfect as full grinds with a hand file and jig isn't easy, at least not for me.
    It did 20 kg of apples for stewing yesterday and performed well.
    Handle a little to fat for wife's hands but not far off the mark.Attachment 112980

I have a Deer knife for field skinning and boning out of my own design nearly ready for heat treatment coming up.
    I will post new knifes as I go and show my journey along a new path for me.
    I one day hope to sell the odd one and maybe make one to auction at the Toby shoot with the money going to charity as this forum, members have given me a lot at times both in terms of advice and laugh's plus some great people.

Viper
    i am seriously impressed
    Wirehunt likes this.

Nga
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    out of curiosity what is something like that worth ??? pm me if you like
    3 unicorns and 16 gold plated bacon sausages.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Roses are red
    Bacon is red
    Poems are hard
    Bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nga View Post
    3 unicorns and 16 gold plated bacon sausages.
    Damn it all out of unicorns
    Nga likes this.

Not a knife, but part of a knife making kit ……… a new anvil.

Its a legendary Peter Wright. Markings are a bit hard to make out so I haven't been able to narrow down its date of manufacture yet, but its very lack of markings would suggest that it is an early manufacture, possibly 1830-1852 vintage. Weighs in at 333lb by the stamps (151kg). I am told that it came out of Flock House (the agricultural training centre).

In the process of making up a wooden block stand out of 100x200 timber on end, with a 40mm thick steel plate on top, left 'rustic flame cut'. The plate was a disc put out of a bigger plate to make a pipe flange and weighs 75kg. All up with the wooden block the assembly is knocking on 250kg!

Name:  2019-06-15 16.38.31.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  2.25 MB

Name:  2019-06-15 16.38.42.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  2.18 MB
    Wirehunt, veitnamcam, NRT and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post

Its a legendary Peter Wright. Markings are a bit hard to make out so I haven't been able to narrow down its date of manufacture yet, but its very lack of markings would suggest that it is an early manufacture, possibly 1830-1852 vintage. Weighs in at 333lb by the stamps (151kg). I am told that it came out of Flock House (the agricultural training centre).

In the process of making up a wooden block stand out of 100x200 timber on end, with a 40mm thick steel plate on top, left 'rustic flame cut'. The plate was a disc put out of a bigger plate to make a pipe flange and weighs 75kg. All up with the wooden block the assembly is knocking on 250kg!

Attachment 113468

Attachment 113469
    Exceptional find
    Wirehunt and turtle like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gotta love those dlt packages. Picked up a wee case slip joint for my lil bro's 30th present, because every man should have a classic slip joint. Nice wee knife, edges need a tickle though.

Dlt had the yukon on sale so be rude not too pick one up. Been using a cheap cold steel cbk and while I don't love the knife itself I really like the profile.

The koa Yukon seems pretty nice, fit and finish is pretty good, not exceptional but perfectly acceptable for a $100 work horse. Factory edge is a little toothy but very sharp. Shaves hair ootb. Umed and ahhd between this and the lt wright northern hunter but in the end my preference for carbon steel(and my cheapness tbh) won out.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Gotta love those dlt packages. Picked up a wee case slip joint for my lil bro's 30th present, because every man should have a classic slip joint. Nice wee knife, edges need a tickle though.

Dlt had the yukon on sale so be rude not too pick one up. Been using a cheap cold steel cbk and while I don't love the knife itself I really like the profile.

The koa Yukon seems pretty nice, fit and finish is pretty good, not exceptional but perfectly acceptable for a $100 work horse. Factory edge is a little toothy but very sharp. Shaves hair ootb. Umed and ahhd between this and the lt wright northern hunter but in the end my preference for carbon steel(and my cheapness tbh) won out.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I can “tickle” up the edges if you want, I can take them to 50000 on diamond grit that will give you a polished edge that will allow you to whittle hairs if you want, I charge $5 per blade (if under 100 mm), you pay postage here and back.
    If you are not happy with the edge then you don’t have to pay...
    dannyb likes this.

Ejected

Attachment 113468

Attachment 113469
    Thats a thing of beauty in itself.

MSL

Attachment 113468

Attachment 113469
    This reminds me, I have one of similar size, maybe bigger to collect

Is that folder a semiautomatic

Bus driver

Just had this given to me..beautiful piece of his work

My rifle scabbard mate also makes beauty knives as well....
    It’s a folding knife as well,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Frogfeatures and viper like this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Just finished making my 6th ever knife. Decided to have a go at something for the kitchen. This is my take on the Japanese Nakiri.
    Blade is 52100 flat ground and heat treated to 60RC. Blade finish left as heat treated (tiger stripes from the anti-oxidising paste used for final hardening). There is a very small ripple in the edge of the blade, hence the wave in the edge sharpening, but I haven't been game to try and beat it out.
    Handle is stabilised poplar burl with red stabilising epoxy, oiled with linseed.

Cuts real nice. Pretty happy and another big learning process.

Name:  2019-06-22 15.19.52.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  3.85 MB

Name:  2019-06-22 15.20.14.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  3.61 MB

Name:  2019-06-22 15.20.24.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  3.57 MB
    Wirehunt, veitnamcam, R93 and 9 others like this.

Bark River ultra lite hunter
    Lovely wee knife to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hotbarrels and Micky Duck like this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Bark River ultra lite hunter
    Lovely wee knife to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great knife.

Name:  P1010009.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  4.37 MB

Nga
    Ok so I was bored and had a bit of Damascus laying about....

Name:  094CAA2F-6645-4200-994C-8337808A0AD8.jpeg
Views: 291
Size:  520.7 KB

Name:  8C5748BB-42EF-427C-9407-6548A780148E.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  372.2 KB

Name:  859F3B6C-A3C8-4B2A-9A4D-D2594B9BAB5C.jpeg
Views: 281
Size:  572.7 KB
    Roses are red
    Bacon is red
    Poems are hard