Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 1 Post By Te_Tianara

Thread: SI tents

SI tents

Hey everyone,
    I know this topic is probably a regular pop up so apologies if there is already a thread or two on this but just looking for some advice on tents. I am aware that you can get the naturehike mongars from Aliexpress etc, but are there any other recommendations?
    Budget probably wouldn’t extend to getting a Kuiu or anything like that just yet as starting out. Had been looking at Macpac duolight (potential to get it at decent price) or alternatively the Orson tents (had been checking out both the Indie and hopper)
    Anyone able to offer insight on any of these?
    For context, I’m in Canterbury and looking to get into a bit of hunting in the area so wouldn’t rule out Arthur’s and Lewis passes as options of where to go. Thanks in advance!

I bought a Durston X-Mid 2 solid. Got it to NZ for about $650. It’s just over 1kg and uses trekking poles. Very roomy, but the “footprint” is reasonably large compared to some tents. It does have good sized vestibules for gear.
    Te_Tianara and IamHackmeat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I bought a Durston X-Mid 2 solid. Got it to NZ for about $650. It’s just over 1kg and uses trekking poles. Very roomy, but the “footprint” is reasonably large compared to some tents. It does have good sized vestibules for gear.
    Good to know I ordered one a couple of days ago.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    stug likes this.

I have a bushbuck horizon 8000.
    It's light and roomy enough. Probably not as robust as some others but I think it's more or less an msr copy.

You can get one fairly cheap when they pop up on special.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

ive got a big agnes model before the copper spur 2person , good tent had a thrashing here and lived out of it for 3 mths in canada you do want to really like your mate tho. ive used some of the aliexpess clones and they are very close in build quality weight etc. what time of year and altitude are you planning on camping ? .

Still not 100% sure on altitude, but would be handy to have closer to the tops as options. As for time of year, probably not the middle of the winter but likely some hunting in the shoulder seasons
    IamHackmeat likes this.

Guessing you are after a two person tent but if you’re not I rate the Macpac Microlite pretty highly, it’s fairly cosy for one and a dog but I’ve had mine 7 years and still going strong, light and low profile and around $500 if on sale.
    That said I’ve also got the Indie 2 which I bought for more space on easy good weather trips, it’s been ok, survived some fairly high winds on one trip to Mt Cook so maybe more capable than I gave it credit for, that said the inner mesh is easily torn. Nice folk to deal with at Intents and was OK at 350$ish
    Cheers FP

the mongar and duo light are just about the same (likely made in the same factory). if you cant wait get the duo light but if you can order a mongar save the $$ and get some other crap you dont need but want any ways. as a 3 season tent will be ok as long as you choose a good protected site, ive had my agness out mid winter with out any issues apart from it being cold due to the amount of mesh. just have to choose a good weather window.

After my boys and I got blown off a hill while they were in a Vaude and I was in a bivi bag I bought a MSR Access 3 as a more robust option that we could all fit in. So far it's been great. Heaps of interior space to get dressed etc. I'd say the Access 2 would be a good option. Not cheap though.

I've bought gear from these folks https://outdoorfair.de/zelte/ and been happy with both price and delivery.

One Planet Goondie 2 or 3 if you want a bit of room for 2. Aust made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iSi
    I recently picked up a Mont Moondance 2 from Bivouac. Had it in the bush over the break and I'm pretty happy with it. Was originally going to get a MSR Hubba Hubba 2 which is slightly lighter but after getting it set up it really seemed too flimsy for my use, and I swapped it.

Would prefer if the inner and fly could be pitched together for when it's really wet but that didn't seem to be a common option and it's pretty quick to get the poles setup, drop the inner and throw the fly over it anyway.

Ive been in a few different tents now and bought a kuiu mountain star- cant rate it high enough and if you wait until on sale not too badly priced