Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Sleeping bags. What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Use a bivvy bag and a fly mostly as well have slept in the pissing down rain this roar In just my
    Bivvy bag and was nice and dry wouldn't be without one anymore
    What model bivvy bag?

Fairydown scorpion still going strong for cold weather, domex starflight for warm. First light bivi bag adds warmth and waterproofness to both.

Quote Originally Posted by savageshooter View Post
    What model bivvy bag?
    This one mate get them off eBay much cheaper

Military Issue Gore Tex Bivy Cover Sleeping Bag Cover Waterproof | eBay
    savageshooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    +1 on those

Ejected
    Yeah ex army bivvies are awesome. Think mine is the newer nz army version. Non camo

For winter I use a 30+ year old Fairydown Everest (900 or 1000g fill) and for Summer an almost as old Fairydown Liteweight (550g fill). Both bags have a waterproof outer layer. I put them on an Exped downmat 7; great piece of kit. I do also have a synthetic bag that I should use more, synthetic bags can be wrung out and will provide warmth if they get wet. Down just clumps and is useless if wet.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    For winter I use a 30+ year old Fairydown Everest (900 or 1000g fill) and for Summer an almost as old Fairydown Liteweight (550g fill). Both bags have a waterproof outer layer. I put them on an Exped downmat 7; great piece of kit. I do also have a synthetic bag that I should use more, synthetic bags can be wrung out and will provide warmth if they get wet. Down just clumps and is useless if wet.
    I use the same Fairydown Everest down filled bag from the 1970s. They were all green coloured and the pick of hunters/mountaineers for a long while. You can still pick up some good ones on TM from time to time for well under a $100. I wouldn't want anything else. Never been cold in it. Beats paying hundreds for some more modern bag which wouldn't really be any better IMHO.
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

I have an xarmy (German) sleeping bag which has been around since forever...waterproof rubber type outer skin, sleeves for arms (wear it like a coat), zip across knees so the dog can come and go (and breathe if you drop-ya-guts).
    gadgetman likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

American made REI +5 rated down bag (25 years young) only used in huts and inside the ute (useless when wet) and a synthetic 'Kelty' -5 bag when im camping (fly or otherwise).........will do me for the rest of my days...hopefully, and always a closed cell mat underneath
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Have taken a chance and have one of these on order. Hoping its good!
    enlightened equipment quilt

I use an Exped 1000 water bloc sleeping bag. Many companies claim their bags are water proof, yet none of their stitching is done. This model has individual compartments welded together and is great. Have been in canada in -15 and was warm and cosy. I company this with a Exped Synmat 9. Have had the top of the line Kathmandu and Macpac bags and would never look back.

res
    I use a exped down filled mat with one of two fairydown bags depending on the time of year. Was thinking about replacing the winter bag a couple of years ago as it's about 15 years old but as soon as I upgraded my mat I no longer felt the need.
    Tho the sound of mcche171's bag is tempting
    Using Tapatalk

I have two sleeping bags a black wolf nile jumbo which is summer weight purchased it when I was in Australia and is a very good sleeping bag and then recently a kiwi camping glacier for winter use not as wide as the black wolf but I can still get my arms inside the bag to keep warm, I want to get a fleece liner for the winter weight bag to add the extra warmth just incase it gets a bit colder than what it is rated for but also to keep the inside of it clean while out on camping trips.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

A cheap synthetic for summer and huts and a down winter one from katmandu.
    its not rated that low but have woken up to find my bivi bag(British army i think) and sleeping bag frozen together from the knees down and was warm enough.
    have a self inflating mat thing but don't take it often due to its bulk in my pack.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Fairydown Ultralite with a silk liner, on a thermorest and all inside a huntech bivybag.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.