Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Stihl chainsaw choice

older brother cut cord of kanuka with 1 and a bit batteries...so milage does vary.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The battery MSAs are like any other tool, use them in a situation for which they are suited and they will significantly aid productivity. I got mine after the boss at the local sawmill had to step in cause the guys tailing out were scrapping to get the battery saw - it was that good. Doing rail work mine will go all day cutting both ends of every rail - and we usually get through at least a pack and a bit a day - sometimes I'll get into the second battery. Cutting heavy firewood I doubt we'd get past smoko before needing the third one ... but you'd be farken stupid to start with a battery saw.
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

I have had a MS180C for a few years now.
    Replaced a Husqvarna 45 that had done a lot of work.
    Went with this as at the time liked it better than the equivalent Husky.
    Liked the "finger" wheel chain tensioner it is bloody quick.
    Main reason I got it is that it balances well bar doesn't drop or come up when holding in one hand.
    I use a bigger Husqvarna to knock down big gums then do a lot with the little Stihl.
    Agree with one comment earlier the chains are pissy little things and you have to allow for that.
    Micky Duck likes this.

@7mmsaum. Yes, Husqvarna do have the advantage of higher battery capacity 337 versus 281Wh at higher initial $ outlay. Pruning wood like pictured the Stihl unit is good for 150-160 cuts, Husky probably do a few more. Would be interested to know battery life doing full length bar cuts through dry pine logs as a comparison.
    PS. I'm not trying to start a Husky/Stihl shitfight, just interested.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    @7mmsaum. Yes, Husqvarna do have the advantage of higher battery capacity 337 versus 281Wh at higher initial $ outlay. Pruning wood like pictured the Stihl unit is good for 150-160 cuts, Husky probably do a few more. Would be interested to know battery life doing full length bar cuts through dry pine logs as a comparison.
    PS. I'm not trying to start a Husky/Stihl shitfight, just interested.
    Stihl are bringing out 500s battery.
    Not sure on the improvement but will be better again than the 2 previous versions.
    I love my stihl battery saw and it gets thrashed at work and home.
    Just bought the hedge trimmer skin and that goes well to.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Unless you're cutting a winters worth of firewood I'd get a Sthil battery MSA 200 with 2 or three batteries. I use mine everyday in my fencing business and have only used my big saws once or twice a year in the last 5 years. As a fencer I get quite a bit of tree work and the battery saw handles it all. They do need to be kept razor sharp and consequently I'd say chains only last about 2/3s of a normal one.
    I’ve gone electric and I love chainsaws. Your son has a bigger saw if needed, and I am blown away how easy and effective the modern battery saw is. You get tired before running out so time for a rest and battery change/charge

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    I have had a MS180C for a few years now.

Agree with one comment earlier the chains are pissy little things and you have to allow for that.

go see an old school saw guy..and see if can change that...sometimes its as easy as change sprocket and bar....

Nah it is all good just have to be aware of them.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

I ran 2 Ms 170 & put a carving bar on then for work fencing then after bot 2 years the fencing one comes home for firewood & hunting & what ever else I can cut can't complain bout them at the price off them with new bar & chain I wouldn't take them to shop to fix when they play up time for new one. If you don't like the size of bar or chain talk to your local shop they should change to what you want me local Stihl shop have just bot change all the saws bars that iv brought
    Micky Duck likes this.

For the money hard to go past the 170. Think I got mine on a gst free deal and was under $300. About 6 years old and still going strong.

They want the same money second hand. I could sell it and throw another $100 in to buy a new one.

Thanks to everyone for their input. A mate has GIVEN me a Stihl 211. That will do for the trimming and a couple of fellings, before being cleaned and stored for next season. I appreciate that battery tools are the way to go, but the 211 will do the work.
    7mmsaum, 308, erniec and 1 others like this.

photo needed....
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input. A mate has GIVEN me a Stihl 211. That will do for the trimming and a couple of fellings, before being cleaned and stored for next season. I appreciate that battery tools are the way to go, but the 211 will do the work.
    I dunno, petrol power works for me - unless I had two chargers and a fleet of batteries a cordless wouldn't do the job unless it was a quick trim of a busted branch and in that case I often reach for the Sabre saw as its more accurate and can fit into tight spaces without unintentional side chops...