Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Fat belly Dog
  • 1 Post By muzza2020

Thread: ? Game Gear Cocoon or Hennessy Hammocks. recommendations please

? Game Gear Cocoon or Hennessy Hammocks. recommendations please

Hi has anyone some experience with hammocks and the pros and cons of Game Gear Cocoon, DD Hamocks or Hennessy Hammocks?

https://www.gearshop.co.nz/collectio...ine-hammock-xl

https://www.gamegear.co.nz/products/...32158525816931

thanks in advance
    m

Following

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have a Hennessy Hammock with the snake skin and the thermal layer as well. It hasn’t had a lot of use because I have mostly hunted from an established base camp or hut but the times that I have used it (central NI) the only issue has been cold (hence I now have the thermal layer) in the winter time. The asymmetrical fly took some getting used to for an old soldier that has always had a rectangular hoochie but otherwise it has been all good. Note that I am not a small bugger either.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hammocks
    I have been using a hammock on and off for the last few years, I get the best sleeps in the bush using a hammock, way better than an inflatable mattress on the ground. However the hammock needs to be the right size for you, set up correct and have adequate protection underneath your body to keep you warm.

I use a seas to summit double with a 3x 3m DD Hammocks tarp and a top and bottom quilts along with bug net if needed.

Weight wise it works out about the same as a tent, 500grams for the hammock, 200g for the bug net, 600g for the fly and about 500g for the under quilt. I typically as carry an inflatable sleeping mat just in case I need to sleep on the ground under the fly.

Name:  hammock camp day one.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  709.8 KB

Below is more detail if you are interested.

Set Up tips:
    I am 6’2 and north of 100kgs so I use a Sea to Summit double hammock, this is more to get the length right, for my size I want something 3m long, too short and narrow and you pinch your shoulders and feet.

https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campi...tml#additional

As long as you can find two suitable trees with a clear space between them of 3.5m min you are good to go. Set the hammock at a height that’s easy to get into but doesn’t touch the ground when you are hanging, at 3.5m tree spacing this is about eye height for me.
    Get the hang angle right goes along way to getting a good sleep, too tight and it feels unstable, too loose and you are like a staple. I use my thumb and index finger as a guide, this is about 30degs, you are looking to get the straps at that angle with no weight/load in the hammock. Play around a bit with this to get an angel that suits, every ones a bit different and weight/hammock type comes into play. Also set the hammock up with the feet slightly higher than head, this will stop you sliding down and putting pressure on you legs at night.

Warmth
    With a hammock your are up off the ground so the air circulates around you a sleeping bag keeps your top and sides of your body warm but as it compresses under you as you lie on it you loose most of its insulation qualities Heaps of other ways to get insulation under you both inside and outside the hammock.
    I use an under quilt, this is basically a shorter down sleeping bag with bungy cord, it hangs loose under your body and doesn’t compress, its heaps better than a sleeping mat in the hammock and I have used my set up down to -2degs and been toasty warm. On top I use a down quilt as well, tuck it in around your feet and sides. For me the investment in an under quilt has been worth it. I have this one in -12 deg I think. Pretty sure there are local boutique places making these as well

https://enlightenedequipment.com/revolt-v2

Name:  hammock one.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  339.6 KB
    Fly
    I use a 3mx3m fly this is just long enough to cover the hammock ends and has loops on the top so I can run a ridge line above to hang the fly from, this allows any rain water running down the ridge line not to drip into hammock. The DD fly has good coverage and you can pitch it just above head high with flat angles or steep depending on weather, I had it up last week in drizzle and there was heaps of room under for the pack, Dog and rifle and gear to keep every thing out of the rain. I strong winds you are going to get wind blown rain under but in most cases with a hammock you are pitched in the bush so have some shelter from the rain.
    I am going to go to a 3.5 x 3m fly next just for the extra length. Don’t go too long or the spacing between trees needs to go up, on our trip last week we were looking for spots to hang two hammocks and had to look around a bit for trees that gave us enough space, one spot we would have ah just on 3m as the tarp was hard up each end.

I don’t use tree protectors just the straps that come with the S2S these are fine, my daughter used a Naki hammock and just took a couple of 4.5m surfboard tie down straps to clip too and these worked fine as well

Pick your trees… the Kowhai tree was rotten inside and the root ball was toast…

Name:  hammock down.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  670.7 KBName:  hammock down.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  670.7 KB

Cheers FBD
    Husky1600, ROKTOY, csmiffy and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Hammocks
    I have been using a hammock on and off for the last few years, I get the best sleeps in the bush using a hammock, way better than an inflatable mattress on the ground. However the hammock needs to be the right size for you, set up correct and have adequate protection underneath your body to keep you warm.

I use a seas to summit double with a 3x 3m DD Hammocks tarp and a top and bottom quilts along with bug net if needed.

Weight wise it works out about the same as a tent, 500grams for the hammock, 200g for the bug net, 600g for the fly and about 500g for the under quilt. I typically as carry an inflatable sleeping mat just in case I need to sleep on the ground under the fly.

Attachment 214012

Below is more detail if you are interested.

Set Up tips:
    I am 6’2 and north of 100kgs so I use a Sea to Summit double hammock, this is more to get the length right, for my size I want something 3m long, too short and narrow and you pinch your shoulders and feet.

https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campi...tml#additional

As long as you can find two suitable trees with a clear space between them of 3.5m min you are good to go. Set the hammock at a height that’s easy to get into but doesn’t touch the ground when you are hanging, at 3.5m tree spacing this is about eye height for me.
    Get the hang angle right goes along way to getting a good sleep, too tight and it feels unstable, too loose and you are like a staple. I use my thumb and index finger as a guide, this is about 30degs, you are looking to get the straps at that angle with no weight/load in the hammock. Play around a bit with this to get an angel that suits, every ones a bit different and weight/hammock type comes into play. Also set the hammock up with the feet slightly higher than head, this will stop you sliding down and putting pressure on you legs at night.

Warmth
    With a hammock your are up off the ground so the air circulates around you a sleeping bag keeps your top and sides of your body warm but as it compresses under you as you lie on it you loose most of its insulation qualities Heaps of other ways to get insulation under you both inside and outside the hammock.
    I use an under quilt, this is basically a shorter down sleeping bag with bungy cord, it hangs loose under your body and doesn’t compress, its heaps better than a sleeping mat in the hammock and I have used my set up down to -2degs and been toasty warm. On top I use a down quilt as well, tuck it in around your feet and sides. For me the investment in an under quilt has been worth it. I have this one in -12 deg I think. Pretty sure there are local boutique places making these as well

https://enlightenedequipment.com/revolt-v2

Attachment 214013
    Fly
    I use a 3mx3m fly this is just long enough to cover the hammock ends and has loops on the top so I can run a ridge line above to hang the fly from, this allows any rain water running down the ridge line not to drip into hammock. The DD fly has good coverage and you can pitch it just above head high with flat angles or steep depending on weather, I had it up last week in drizzle and there was heaps of room under for the pack, Dog and rifle and gear to keep every thing out of the rain. I strong winds you are going to get wind blown rain under but in most cases with a hammock you are pitched in the bush so have some shelter from the rain.
    I am going to go to a 3.5 x 3m fly next just for the extra length. Don’t go too long or the spacing between trees needs to go up, on our trip last week we were looking for spots to hang two hammocks and had to look around a bit for trees that gave us enough space, one spot we would have ah just on 3m as the tarp was hard up each end.

I don’t use tree protectors just the straps that come with the S2S these are fine, my daughter used a Naki hammock and just took a couple of 4.5m surfboard tie down straps to clip too and these worked fine as well

Pick your trees… the Kowhai tree was rotten inside and the root ball was toast…

Attachment 214014Attachment 214014

Cheers FBD

Thanks, on your recommendation I brought a Sea to Summit double hammock ( MacPac has on sale) - really impresses with the comfort

regards
    m
    Fat belly Dog likes this.