Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Stoney Creek Expedition Gaiters Good or Bad?

I use cheap pair off trademe....at $10 a pair...and they stay up due to the velcro up the front...they give quiet a bit of protection from spanyards etc... bottom strap gets cut off ASAP.six months and the velcro getting tired,so chuckem out and get next pair.

sneakywaza I got
    Stoney Creek make cheap rubbish. Stoney Creek lies about the ability of that rubbish and sell it for more than it's worth. Buy OR or Cactus.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Stoney Creek make cheap rubbish. Stoney Creek lies about the ability of that rubbish and sell it for more than it's worth. Buy OR or Cactus.
    Yep, yep & yep. All good if you hunt occasionally, or can afford to continuously buy new gear.

Twinneedle are ok. There’s a few smaller NZ businesses making good quality canvas gaiters if you use google

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I got a pair of these Berghaus Yeti gaiters about 6 months ago. The design has been around for ~30 years and they are effectively waterproof. Will only fit a specific boot style like Lowa Tibet. About NZD$122 all up.

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mou...aiter/650916/p

Name:  Berghaus Yeti Gaiter-c.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  226.9 KB

Jit
    I used the Berghaus orgainls for years, just a bit bulky and abolute bastards to get of and on a boot. Im now looking for a quiet pair of Goretex as my lower leg and socks get drenched with sweat. Any recommendations, Ive see RAB and others but they look noisy ?
    So far my hunters element have done well but just dont breathe. i run them with the zips undone but they collect crap on the inside which defeats the object.

I use a pair of Kuiu Yukon Gaiters and love them. A mate uses the first lite gaiters and likes them too. In saying that I largely wear gaiters to keep stuff out of my boots and keep my feet dry so being waterproof is important to me over very hard wearing canvas etc and these may not fit your needs. I wear my pant over top of the gaiters. Pants take the hit, and the water runs over top not down and under. Twin needle always seems to receive favourable reviews