Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SUMMIT vs DROVER

SUMMIT vs DROVER

I'm looking at a new pack. Trying to decide between the SPIKA DROVER 80L and the HUNTERS ELEMENT SUMMIT 85L. Do you guys have any comments or recommendations on either? Or anything around the $500 mark? I'm leaning towrds the SPIKA DROVER because I like that it has a meat shelf and I like that spika pockets are usually quite large (I have the spika bino harness). I recently returned my BushBuck destroyer it squeaked and drove me insane! (seems to be a common problem). Cheers!

I have one of these:
    https://www.furtherfaster.co.nz/coll...nt-nz-prion-85
    Recommend it if you want a bulletproof pack in 85 litre for around that money
    paddygonebush, Boxton and RV1 like this.

I have a Drover 40l as like the concept but personally found it too much faffing around and it stays home while the One Planet Extrovert with Stoney Creek scabbard goes on the hunt.

You could also consider this from Hunters Element as it looks like it has a meat shelf option

https://www.hunterselement.co.nz/pro...e&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA
    Really comes down to how much you want to spend. And the intended uses. I have had
    Macpac 90L Cascade(no longer made but on TM occasion 2nd Hand) - took 15 years of abuse before i bought a new pack
    Replaced the Macpac with a WILDERNESS EQUIPMENT PRION 85 - bomb proof canvas (Western Australia version of Cactus) but its heavy (~3.5kg bare)
    Which got replaced for weekenders with a Sitka Mountain Hauler 4000 (60L) nice and light works well. https://safarisupply.co.nz/collectio...ack-sub-alpine
    For a Fiordland Trip have used the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 and that was the best pack yet that i used yet. Was on trial so had to give it back to Safari Supply but i will be purchasing one at some point.

If you do go Mystery Ranch or Sitka use "Paddy" for 10% off at Safari Supply
    Tahr and Moa Hunter like this.

what was the faffing with the drover mate?

Iv got the 40l drover & I really like mine I just use the one pack for everything it's day pack & I can if enough gear in the for fly camping for 3- 4 days & know when I get something the meat goes in the load shelf & still got room in pack for everything else

TLB
    Out of those two I would go hunter's element just because they have a better warranty.
    However I would buy a macpac or stoney creek over either of those two.
    Got given a hunters element pack and it fell apart on it's first outing. Good warranty but a liability.

I have the big Drover and like it. Material is tough and I like the layout of the pack. It's not lightweight but it tightens down well and the harness adjusts right down to my size which many do not especially Tatonkas

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Out of those two I would go hunter's element just because they have a better warranty.
    However I would buy a macpac or stoney creek over either of those two.
    Got given a hunters element pack and it fell apart on it's first outing. Good warranty but a liability.
    Have you had anything to do with a drover it made a lot better than any off the stoney creek packs iv had & iv a few as I could only get 2-3 years out off them before they started to go into holes or the shoulder strap started to rip off they where packs in the 30-40 litter rang to be fair & made from the silent fabric but I only ever used them as a day pack but they had carry a lot off boned out deer out & I bring all the meat out so there have been some heavy loads the drover pack is a 1.5 old and it doesn't even look like it's had much use and it's carried a lot bigger loads cos I use it as a day pack carrying meat out & all my camping gear as well so only need the one 40 litre pack for a weekend hunt and today I shot 2 fallow on a farm and had to carry them back up the hill to the ute I just bought one at a time in the meat shelf whole and carried them up like that it was freaking awesome so much better than having the leg sticking into your shoulders.

When buying pack you need try them with weight in them as you need a to find a pack that fits your body when tatonka brought out there 30 - 40 liter day pack I try one but it was the most uncomfortable pack iv every worn but lots off other people love them
    Puffin and Happy Jack like this.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    Have you had anything to do with a drover it made a lot better than any off the stoney creek packs iv had & iv a few as I could only get 2-3 years out off them before they started to go into holes or the shoulder strap started to rip off they where packs in the 30-40 litter rang to be fair & made from the silent fabric but I only ever used them as a day pack but they had carry a lot off boned out deer out & I bring all the meat out so there have been some heavy loads the drover pack is a 1.5 old and it doesn't even look like it's had much use and it's carried a lot bigger loads cos I use it as a day pack carrying meat out & all my camping gear as well so only need the one 40 litre pack for a weekend hunt and today I shot 2 fallow on a farm and had to carry them back up the hill to the ute I just bought one at a time in the meat shelf whole and carried them up like that it was freaking awesome so much better than having the leg sticking into your shoulders.
    Na never used one. I have about 10 packs but tend not to use any of the hunting type brands other than for day packs as most of them tend to crap out.
    A one year warranty on a pack with very little reputation would put me off.
    I suppose it all depends on how often you use them but an 80l it is a pack designed to carry a load and it is an investment. If the right pack was purchased it would last many many years.

I've had enough hunters element gear come apart at the seams that I would probably steer well clear of their hunting packs. I've also had a pack shoulder strap let go on a decent meat retrieve and it was a fucking ballache.

Look at the good hiking brands, and throw a wtb post up in the buy sell. One planet makes good gear and a bit cheaper than cactus. Quite a few people in the forum use the osprey 85l packs with good reviews. Also, I don't love the tatonkas design personally but they definately seem to have a decent following and the ones ive handled seemed well put together.

I tried the Osprey as mates have them. For me the million compartments were a put off I like simple single compartment packs.
    Happy Jack.

I have the drover system mate and rate it. When I was looking at a new pack I really liked my mates Kuiu purely because of the meat shelf (only ones really doing it at that point). And not long after that Spika introduced their Drover range. Although not as light as Kuiu, I rate it. Nice silent material for bush hunting, good quality materials (i've had nothing fail), carries loads well.

I don't use it for day trips, I use an old army day bag I äquired" When I left, and drape a fleece over the top to keep quite. But anything longer I take the drover.

My 2cents.

My comment re faffing was partly expectation of what I imagined the meat shelf function would be like and what the reality was. The first time I used it, deer was shot right on dusk - by the time deer was found, photos, processed it was dark. Then discovered that it takes some faffing around to set the system up.
    Perhaps it was because I have simply hunted with One Planet packs (McMillan and Extrovert) for quite some time and they are very simple classic tramping packs but for whatever reason I personally didn’t warm to the Drover system. May give it another shot in the Spring. Also have found the Extrovert a more comfortable setup than the Drover. The Drover has a lumbar pad at the bottom which I found uncomfortable. Again with use I may have got used to it.