Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: iPhone satellite connection available from today

iPhone satellite connection available from today

Just read this in Newshub
    New Zealand iPhone 14 users are now able to contact emergency services and loved ones via a satellite when no cellular or Wi-Fi coverage is available.
    Nathan F, Jit, DemocKot and 1 others like this.

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by Staffnurse41 View Post
    New Zealand iPhone 14 users are now able to contact emergency services and loved ones via a satellite when no cellular or Wi-Fi coverage is available.
    Anyone tested it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Staffnurse41 View Post
    Does contact mean text or voice?

And how many internal organs does one have to sell to avail oneself of this service?
    XR500 likes this.

My understanding is that it's iPhone 14 and up... and that it's txt to emergency service only, but users can mark their position on the "Find My" app for family to see...

Half a liver and one kidney.

MB
    Sounds good.

https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT213426

Note: "Emergency SOS via satellite is free for two years after the activation of iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro".

this is the 2nd "thing" in last month SUGGESTING that cell phone will save your arse in the back of beyond .
    as I said to the lads.....you fall over and land on your cellphone or take major dunk in the drink it will be toast... and if its in your bumbag ripped off up the hill none of them will do you any good.
    cell phone batteries are notorious for going flat at the worst possible time...the melenial crowd forever on facebook or swiping left right n sideways all take their toll . we had call out the other week,the fella managed to send out a single location ping to his dad the next morning allowing us to get to him quickly.... that was possibly the only txt he had left in phone...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Suggest treating this tech as an addition and nothing more or consider the Bush like the water - take two means of contact
    mikee and MB like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz036 View Post
    Suggest treating this tech as an addition and nothing more or consider the Bush like the water - take two means of contact
    Exactly. Another string to your bow and most people carry a phone anyway. I'd still carry a PLB, but they have limitations and then there's those times when you won't be carrying a PLB, not necessarily hunting, road trips, quick walk around the farm etc. I can't really see a downside.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    this is the 2nd "thing" in last month SUGGESTING that cell phone will save your arse in the back of beyond .
    as I said to the lads.....you fall over and land on your cellphone or take major dunk in the drink it will be toast... and if its in your bumbag ripped off up the hill none of them will do you any good.
    cell phone batteries are notorious for going flat at the worst possible time...the melenial crowd forever on facebook or swiping left right n sideways all take their toll . we had call out the other week,the fella managed to send out a single location ping to his dad the next morning allowing us to get to him quickly.... that was possibly the only txt he had left in phone...
    So you say a phone won't save your arse, then give an example of a phone saving someone's arse
    BRADS, Micky Duck and Chur Bay like this.

Great to have another form of emergency comms but I’ll still carry my plb. As others mentioned phones just don’t have the battery life to justify not taking something else, especially if to want to take photos ect

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    No different from any piece of equipment if it takes enough of a hit so I'm not sure what the point is? Also, define major dunk? as I'm pretty sure most iPhones from 10 up are IP rated to over 6 mtrs for 30mins. Don't quote me on that though.

However, if you are stupid enough to leave home with a non-charged phone and/or spend all day scrolling on it rather than hunting, you are the problem, not the phone.

I'm not sure how anyone can see this is anything other than a good thing?
    Last edited by Proudkiwi; 17-05-2023 at 01:32 PM.
    kiwijames, crewe2, BRADS and 6 others like this.

I'll just carry on with my PLB, I can't afford or even want to sell my soul to buy anything fruit based unless its edible. I actually like not having coverage out the back means peace.
    mikee, zimmer and Micky Duck like this.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    So you say a phone won't save your arse, then give an example of a phone saving someone's arse
    yeah I know...but you know what Im saying...5 more minutes on facebook and he wouldve had much longer wait to be found....
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    No different from any piece of equipment if it takes enough of a hit so I'm not sure what the point is? Also, define major dunk? as I'm pretty sure most iPhones from 10 up are IP rated to over 6 mtrs for 30mins. Don't quote me on that though.

However, if you are stupid enough to leave home with a non-charged phone and/or spend all day scrolling on it rather than hunting, you are the problem, not the phone.

I'm not sure how anyone can see this is anything other than a good thing?
    oh its a good thing but I m suggesting it shouldnt be the first line of defence.... to me a PLB is always going to be more reliable and they are in a nearly bombproof cover so far less likely to be disabled