Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By STC
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By catharsis

Thread: Tatonka Pack Advice Needed

Tatonka Pack Advice Needed

Hi team, so I won a $500 Tatonka voucher. I'm wondering which multi day pack to get. Questions are, would you bother going with the stealth camo for a hauling pack and which size? ie 55+10, 75+10, or 95+10. I also have an Osprey Talon 44 which can cover the small stuff but not much weight carryign ability. Current thinking is to just get the 95+10 in canvas if they compress well. Cheers!

I have the 90 plus 10 Its a big pack. They do compress but they are still a big pack on your pack imo. Wouldn't bother with camo

Cheers, if you could what would you downsize to?

@hamishg when i done a fly in trip this year i had to use the 90l as my day pack while they are a comfy pack as above its a big pack. As a multi day pack i would look at the 75l but that's just me. That's the only trip I have use it on. Hopefully give it another crack this spring on a couple multi trips. Also all depends on how tall you are etc
    If do 5 day trips the extra room might be needed

I use the 90+10. As noted above, it is a big pack. I also use it as a day bag when hunting after walking in and find if the the pack is mostly empty it it can be a bit awkward and the top flap doesn't sit as well as it does when the pack is full. Can't have it both ways though. I really like not having to struggle for space, and it does mean there is plenty of room for meat.

I can't justify 2 packs, so the larger pack is my pick as there is less hassle in packing away my gear.

Thanks team, I'll check em out at hnf. Think the 75 should probably be plenty. Can always strap stuff to outside.

A smaller pack is a good incentive to get rid of some of the crap we carry.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

You might want to look at packs and how they fit you? How small do they compress down to? Do they have a separate meat shelf. You can go the traditional macpac/tatonka backpack style without the separate meat shelf, but probably not going to carry as well as a pack with the meat compressed on a meat frame - central to your back. They can be quite heavy also, with too many zips, pockets etc. Some packs compress down really small using the side and front compression straps, so negates the need for a "day pack". If your concerned about leaving gear behind to hunt (getting wet), you can either set up your tent/tarp, or use a big dry bag and seal everything up. I use a single dry bag, and stuff my quilt and overnight gear inside (instead of hundreds of canon ball dry bags inside - very inefficient) Then you can use your pack (with your safety gear, comms, jacket, food) to hunt with. Best of both worlds and less weight.

There are some brands that do a meat shelf "locally" in retail like Spika and Hunters Element. These are no doubt built on US brands like Exo, Stone Glacier, Kuiu - these are the shizz, but super expensive to import. Best be out of the house when the credit card bill arrives in the mail. Thoroughly recommend a pack with a meat shelf. Really helps distribute heavy weight (on a pack out), much better on the body, and mobility.

Thar is bang on around not taking so much gear. As you return from trips, tip your gear out and work out what wasn't necessary and don't take it next time. When we start out, many of us tend to "pack our fears", something to be mindful off. Then you can go a super cool ultra light pack, like Southern Lite Packs (NZ made). No meat shelf though. So, you'd be needing to bone out meat. You can customise them - cost more again than your stock standard retail store pack.
    Last edited by Snoppernator; 11-08-2023 at 11:47 AM.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A smaller pack is a good incentive to get rid of some of the crap we carry.
    Nobody makes you carry crap you don't need into the bush but you.

But i think it is fair to assume that everybody that goes into the bush with a backpack and rifle hopes to fill that backpack up and carry out as much as possible.

Tatonka bisons are good and bad. I have the 75l. The bag has too many useless features and what annoys me most is its not even waterproof, so they can sell you a raincover that is unuseable in thick bush. Bushwhacking is horrible with that thing.

However the harness is amazing! I can fill the bag up with meat and have carried up to 50 kg with it, without anything (but me nearly) breaking...
    paremata likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    However the harness is amazing! I can fill the bag up with meat and have carried up to 50 kg with it, without anything (but me nearly) breaking...
    Yes, the harness is really good. Bit of silicon grease to stop random squeaking every now and again, but it is the best fit I've found and it can handle a fair bit of weight, which comes in handle when I have to help pack in extra gear for my young son when he hunts with me.

A 60 litre pack can carry a couple or three nights gear and a boned out deer. It’s experience that teaches what not to take. Fly instead of a tent etc.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Check out their one with the load shelf not light but looks pretty good

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

How tall are you? I found no Tatonka would fit my 1.65m body hence why I use a Spika Drover instead.But if you are taller shouldn't be a problem.
    Happy Jack.

I'm 1.86m, use the Bison 75+10. Fits me just fine. It has plenty of space for me + my boys gear. I wouldn't go bigger unless I was doing 5+ days tbh.
    The rain cover is a must for sure.
    Super comfy and hardy. No complaints.
    bigbear likes this.