Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Tent review - Mongar 2 - MSR Hubba hubba clone

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    It's light, packs up small and I can lay down in it no problem. I'm 5'11". It's been dry in light-moderate rain. Floor is a bit thin, but I'm sure this is true of all lightweight tents. Otherwise well made. Unless you're a giant, I'd say go for it.
    Definitely at the limit in my 2 man version at 6'8 I can imagine the 1 man version would be too cramped for me. At least in mine a can lay fully out stretched even if I have to go diagonal.
    #DANNYCENT

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Definitely at the limit in my 2 man version at 6'8 I can imagine the 1 man version would be too cramped for me. At least in mine a can lay fully out stretched even if I have to go diagonal.
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Unless you're a giant, I'd say go for it.
    dannyb likes this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    Here's a site that lists all the knock offs etc for camping on Ali express Frugal Hiker
    I checked that link out and ended up getting a 3F UL Gear "Lanshan Pro Ultralite" that is apparently the same as an SMD Lunar Solo.

But I have to smear glue on some of the seams, anyone know what type of glue to use?
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    After much thought and deliberation about what tent I chose to buy a Naturehike Mongar 2. It’s a MSR Hubba Hubba clone, so just like the Bushbuck Horizon 8000, Orson/Intents Hopper 2, etc.
    Sure an MSR would be nice but I’m not a brand snob and at $900ish not going to happen!
    At times can get the Bushbuck for mid-high $300s + delivery, similar for the Hopper however can always buy the Mongar from AliExpress for $190-$205 delivered. The standard 20D/210T fabric version weighs 1.8kg and range of colours.
    Rather I opted for the 15D version of the Mongar which is spec’ed at 1.57kg less pegs. Dark blue only and it was $219 delivered.
    I ordered on 11th November in a 11.11 sale and it was in my hands yesterday 24th Nov, just 13 days later! I’d expected 2-3mths due to covid freight delays so rapt to have it in less than 2 weeks.
    Comes with extra floor mat and pegs. There’s individual bags for the pegs, poles and the floor mat. The main bag has heaps of spare space so easy to repack it and not a struggle like some tent bags.
    Chose the Mongar / Hubba hubba clone over others as it’s a roomy 2 person, has vertical sides and decent height if need to be in there a couple of days, has doors and vestibules on both sides so don’t need to climb over other person or crawl to door, and apparently it sheds wind well. Can be erected inner only or fly only giving lighter weight options for good weather.
    On our digital kitchen scale minimum combo of poles, pegs, inner and extra floor mat is 1.409kg. Drop the floor mat and it’s 1.158kg.
    Or swap inner for fly and include the floor mat is 1.461kg. Max with everything is 1.912kg.
    Re clone vs genuine MSR I found this useful comparison video. Pros and cons of each but generally the clone wins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyjrjU2eemU
    Some cool little features. Pegs already having rope loops so easy to pull out. The two ways zips on doors are good so can peep out at top of zip to see weather rather than having to zip from bottom. The optional overhead gear net will be useful for head torch. There’s also internal gear pockets at each end. Clips, fittings and poles all seem good.
    I didn’t get it but they also make an optional extra vestibule for about $100 than connects to it. But it weighs around 600gm so rather than that in time I’ll get a lightweight fly to use as extra shelter on longer trips.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_
    Attachment 154426Attachment 154427Attachment 154428Attachment 154429Attachment 154430Attachment 154431
    Any updates on how the tent is going? I'm needing one for trip next year up around bushline in queenstown area? Would it hold up or am I better to go with a more known brand?

I've barely used it due to to time constraints. Had no issues with it when I have though.
    If you're going to extreme conditions wind or temperature and your safety demands it buy the best you can. If you're in average 3 season conditions & have some shelter consider a Naturehike, Bushbuck, Intents, etc and save yourself $400 to $700

Pav
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowslayer View Post
    Any updates on how the tent is going? I'm needing one for trip next year up around bushline in queenstown area? Would it hold up or am I better to go with a more known brand?
    We used both the Bushbuck version (Horizon 8000) and the BushBuck Solo 8000 (1 person) for the Fiordland Wapiti Ballot this year and both held up well to high winds and rain experienced on the open tops. Other members in our party had the original MSR hubba hubba and there was no apparent difference in how they handled the conditions except the Kea seemed to like the MSR more and left the Bushbucks alone. The Solo is now about 18months old and has done alot of predominantly weekend hunts in the Kaimanawas and my only problem with it is a small tear in the fine mesh of the inner but overall I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of the cheaper msr clones.

Pav's comments agree with several comparison videos. There's differences but they don't affect overall performance.
    2 year review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-jX1GORewg
    MSR & Naturehike 'destroyed' in wind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbl1M-3xkw
    Direct comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyjrjU2eemU

how are the tents going ? my one is just about rooted so looking for a new one but really don't want to spend mega $ .

Quote Originally Posted by IamHackmeat View Post
    how are the tents going ? my one is just about rooted so looking for a new one but really don't want to spend mega $ .
    Still using my mongar granted haven't done many overnight trips this year other than the roar, where I pretty much lived in it for a week
    Pixie Z and IamHackmeat like this.
    #DANNYCENT

I have been running a naturehike for around 4 years now, had it up in the snow, decent rain and tested to collapse in a 80-100km gusts of wind in the tops. Only damage was some of poles are a bit more curved than they should be now. Still works fine - for a $200 tent has done me pretty bloody good. Have been deliberate so far in not using it in a high stakes situation - eg exposed tops, bad weather with no bail out options but based on experience so far would almost be game to risk it now. Pretty much the same design as the bushbuck two person tent, different fabric and more mesh on the inner.

Naturehike Star River 2 Tent 2 Person Ultralight Waterproof Camping Tent Double Layer 4 Seasons Tent Outdoor Travel Hiking Tent
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPCLwOm

Hasn't been used much but have had no issues with it. Definitely notice the low mesh inner if there's a cold wind.
    Name:  Cameron Glacier - Colin Pearson.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  3.73 MB
    IamHackmeat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    At that price I would've bought pink....to even out the balance of my testosterone producing 270

Weighs stuff all I know that much and heaps of room, 1.8 kg and I'm pretty sure that was with the foot print either way not much for the size and plenty big enough to get dressed in if required and 2 large vestibule for storing stuff out of the weather.
    testosterone producing 270??? hahahahaName:  ezgif-2-04272fc8f6.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  65.1 KB

sweet looks like il be getting a new tent sooner than expected
    TimC likes this.