Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steelo

Thread: Thermal or long pant for autumn/ winter

Thermal or long pant for autumn/ winter

Hi team, Ben looking at those Under Armour Base layer 4.0. I use thermals and shorts instead of pants as prefer a bit more breath ability. Has anyone tried these and or other thick thermals that would do the job? What about those new Bushbuck ones? Thanks
    Alternatively what would be the best warm winter pant?

The under armour and good, tough & work well, ive used them 2.0 in the snow in the alps on a tahr trip but not spend much time down south.

I have tried a few others that just fell apart including kuiu

The 4.0 will be hot as when moving i have a top in the 4, its great for stopping wind chill
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

+1 for @Sarvo gear but think he will be low in stock

Sarvo had an ad on Fagbook saying last few items 1/2 price and doubt if can get anymore.

I'm a shorts or shorts and thermals person as only own 2 pairs long pants both far too dressy for hunting.

I always wore cheap Kathmandu thermals and shorts even in summer to keep the whiteness covered.
    I've changed to the Stoney creek microtough pants which are great, as they're loose they are fairly cool in summer they've got side zips to get more airflow as well, they're warmer than my thermals in winter. I've only done Nth Is bush hunting no tops yet, but theres room to wear thermals underneath which I did on a very frosty Waikeremoana trip last winter.
    I got the tuatara camo ones which have a slightly more "brushed" look to them so figured quieter in tight stuff.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

A bit on the pricy side for some but I have been enjoying the First Lite stuff.
    https://www.pointssouth.co.nz/collections/first-lite
    Have only bought the lighter weight Jacket, Pants and this summer a very light weight Merino Tee from them but they have stood up to bush lawyer and matagouri better than I expected.
    The 4 way stretch makes them really comfortable to walk in, particularly those large step up's or downs where they don't constrict movement. Only DWR water proof in the light weight stuff I have so that's really only shower & wind proof.
    Z

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

+1 for Sarvo’s gear