Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Titanium pans

Titanium pans

Hey guys looking to get a lightweight pan for hunting trips as weaning my self off backcountry seeing they are $17~ now for a bag of slop. Without breaking the bank what suggestions do you guys have? Ideally big enough to cook a few snags at once.
    Not keen on non stick (Teflon kinda coatings)
    Cheers

can I suggest a wok very versatile and light

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    can I suggest a wok very versatile and light
    Bit big unfortunately

Kathmandu are Anodised Aluminium, still a bit sticky but not teflon

no woks come in a variety of sizes dont have to have a big one - I use a chefs fry pan in the bush just need to cure it properly first like a wok and keep dish washing liquid away from it - nice and light - they do need proper curing first - super heat after a good scrub from new ( often have a oil on them from shop ) and then cure with peanut oil - use gas to heat cure first up - wipe clean or hot water only afterwoods

I haven't had much luck with the titanium frypans, the thin base just doesn't seem to transfer heat well and I burn or stick everything using them over a gas cooker. Tried two different brands (tooks was one) but both the same. Maybe a high spec fry pan might work better?

Gone to a lightweight grill mesh and cook steaks/chops/sausage over hot coals using it.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Checked out my jet boil pan it's not a Teflon coating but some other coating seems bloody good I've had titanium and aluminum both are not as good as the jet boil.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    TimC likes this.

Maybe one of these? https://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/oute...-steel-fry-pan
    Stainless with a copper bottom to improve the heat transmission/retention

BB
    striker likes this.

I've been using a $10 warehouse 20cm diameter pan without the handle, weighs about 300g. But, is Teflon. Hear you on this. It works great for solo cooking. Found that little cubes of butter is all it needs. Opens up a world of "real food", like fried eggs, pita pockets with cheese, sausages and home made venison burger patties. The Jetboil Skillet is ceramic non-stick and apparently has even heat distribution due to varying pan thickness. I do notice this with the cheap pan. Saving up.
    RV1 likes this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

MB
    My understanding that a good cooking pan has a thick (i.e. heavy) base to achieve even heat distribution. Heavy is exactly what hunters don't want most of the time!

My Mrs and I had a weekend in the bush cooking on one of these: https://www.macpac.co.nz/macpac-fryi...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

It is very light, has a sturdy handle that locks in place, and did up some bloody good meat patties and bacon. It is not non-stick so to clean it we simply boiled some hot water and dish liquid in it. This process took all the burnt on stuff right off with no scrubbing. Would highly recommend. Only downside is perhaps it could even be a wee bit bigger, but if you don't mind cooking in stages (i.e one meat pattie and some onions or 2-3 snags at a time it is fine. A good bit of kit.
    erniec and Ned like this.

Thinking I may have to go SS, slightly heavier but good to cook on and cheaper.
    Snoop the jetboil one is amazing but again I'm avoiding non stick

At home now all we use is cast iron and carbon steel. Just yesterday I seasoned a small pan like Barry the Hunter described. It still amazes me that when used properly this type of cookware is non stick and washes clean easily. As far as weight goes if I changed the handle there would be little difference in weight in the small carbon steel high sided pan and a titanium pan that would definitely stick more.

Jetboil frypan works well.
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    Checked out my jet boil pan it's not a Teflon coating but some other coating seems bloody good I've had titanium and aluminum both are not as good as the jet boil.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    GoreTex