Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Top Quality Hunting Knives

Quote Originally Posted by john worthington View Post
    you could have rung i have been in the workshop all day finishing thisAttachment 248105
    Yeah sorry I just didn’t want to be impolite or anything given its the weekend. I’ll give you a ring tomorrow. That knife is absolutely beautiful, very similar to the sort of thing I’d be after.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john worthington View Post
    you could have rung i have been in the workshop all day finishing thisAttachment 248105
    Stunning!! Superb craftsmanship.

The other one that would be good is (and not wanting to sound like a bit of a pratt) is learning what sort of knife steel needs what type of edge, and how to maintain it. I used to think I was reasonable at sharpening, but after getting into the world of guided sharpening devices I realised I had no idea. The difference now is a blade with an edge that stays good, and if it goes off a lick or two over a diamond steel and it's back running through tomato's etc like it was never blunt.

Prior to the guided devices I was creating a rounded edge I think, which looked mint as but the actual edge of the blade was way steeper an angle than I thought I was putting onto the knife just because I couldn't keep the angle accurately.
    Micky Duck likes this.

well mate see what happens when muppets try to sharpen chainsaws if you think knives are hard - I have seen chainsaws cut in a curve cause muppet could not see straight and badly angled one side - and yes I love my diamond lap for a quick touch up on my knives but gently does it as you say

@john worthington What the heck type of timber is that handle made of??
    A beautiful piece of art work!
    Barry the hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    well mate see what happens when muppets try to sharpen chainsaws if you think knives are hard - I have seen chainsaws cut in a curve cause muppet could not see straight and badly angled one side - and yes I love my diamond lap for a quick touch up on my knives but gently does it as you say
    one of the funniest (at the time) things I recal was the day my old Dad decided to put his ,still reasonably new to him, reading glasses on to sharpen his chainsaw...he fair turned the air blue when he saw what sort of a job he had been doing before putting them on...
    I cannot sharpen either saw or knife without them anymore,cant see that fine white line of reflection that needs removed otherwise.
    hell I put glasses on to skin hanging up animal too cause my arms arent long enough otherwise.
    No.3 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Yeah, and the number of people that don't check their bar when they sharpen...

yeah Gisborne Show - Stihl stand - lines of brand new saws for potential customers to look at - embarrassed Stihl rep when I politely pointed out one with the chain on backwoods - probably thought there's always one eagle eyed smart prick - I like to think he was grateful and saved him some embarrassment

Maybe that saw worked by reverse osmosis?

nah be like Greta Thunberg a lot of noise but f!**k all common sense

Someone mentioned a diamond steel. Yikes. They eat knives. Well suited to a svord or mercator 'cos the quicker they get eaten the better But not on anything of quality. They shouldn't even be allowed in the same room as John's knives.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I use my diamond lap on a japanese 19 fold damascus kitchen knife but its only one very light stroke per side - I certainly would not do more - moderation in everything except for beers sex and hunting
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Shields View Post
    @john worthington What the heck type of timber is that handle made of??
    A beautiful piece of art work!
    Looks like tasmanian blackwood

+ 1 for Ripi knives. John makes a hell of a blade! I have had him do two for friends 40th gifts, outstanding!
    Tahr likes this.

A couple of good steels for balancing better edge retention without becoming a pain to sharpen are 14c28n, rwl 34/cpm154, s45vn. All fairly available to makers here.

You can take a step up in edge retention with the like of s30v, elmx or further again, but they do start to become a little more nigly to sharpen properly if you aren't reasonably well versed in the art.

John makes a lovely knife, have a scroll through the show me your knife section and check out some of the work on there