Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: sleeping bag comparison…

sleeping bag comparison…

Aight had a read of a pile of sleeping bag threads here. Looking for a second sleeping bag. Long story, bought a new kuiu 0 bag 12 months ago, wicked bag, but very much a winter bag for weight, packability and temp rating.
    I’m in need of a bag for roar/spring hunting that packs small and is as light as possible.
    Living in central Otago so want one that will be ok in tail end of the roar where below zero is very likely.
    I was about to pull the trigger on a RAB Mythic 400 but have seen the Sea To Summit Spark SP3 popping up here and there. On paper they square up but I am wanting to know if anyone has hands on comparisons of them both? Is the RAB worth the larger price tag? Or if there is something as good worth considering that’s readily available in NZ?

Cheek the one plannet specs bro i got one of there that was half the price of the rab and specs were on par with each other. Was a couple of years back now tho

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

STC
    +1 for one planet.

love mine

I have 3 Rab sleeping bags, well worth the price. Have a look at the mythic ultra range aswell

I have a mythic 600, because I get bloody cold when i sleep.

awesome bags but be aware that I'm 6'1 112kg and i wouldn't want to be any bigger. if you're a big unit I'd see if you could drop by somewhere and give them a trial fit.
    dannyb likes this.

I have a macpac dragonfly 400 which is 780gms and has been a great lite-weight option to my 4 season heavy bag.
    Hunteast likes this.

Ms got a rab, always small ount of down around after a night sleep, I'm using a 15yr old sea to summit , still happy. Both are good bags. Rab can be bought in Europe for1/2 price. Lots of stores will post
    TimC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Cheek the one plannet specs bro i got one of there that was half the price of the rab and specs were on par with each other. Was a couple of years back now tho

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    What he said, i got a One Planet Nitrous -3 and very happy with it , packs down very small, weighs about 600 gr. Been plenty warm enough so far , but yet to test it in colder temperatures.
    Ned likes this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Re RAB, a few years back I pulled the pin on a Neutrino Endurance 600, was a high spec & very expensive buy iirc retailed for $1300 - 1400 I'm a very cold sleeper so wanted a decent light weight - packable bag

It's a very nice piece of kit but I wouldn't rate it as twice the bag of a Macpac at half the price ( if you get what I mean ) It's always easy to say the expensive option isn't twice the product but in this case I think the more budget bags work fine, I have a 20 yo Katmandu down bag ( I use for a truck / crash out kit ) I got on sale for like $250 & while bigger n buckier theres fuk all difference in performance. I also have a Exped ultralight which is a great bag so could be worth a look ( being UL the zips are pretty lightweight though )

For bags it seems to come down to down loft n quality & a decent theremal liner helps
    WildBrad likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Exactly where I was at with the decision mate. Between the one planet, seas to summit and rab compatible options I really needed/wanted to know if the rab really was worth close to double the price.

In short no for rab. Built quality no better than my S2S.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Re RAB, a few years back I pulled the pin on a Neutrino Endurance 600, was a high spec & very expensive buy iirc retailed for $1300 - 1400 I'm a very cold sleeper so wanted a decent light weight - packable bag

It's a very nice piece of kit but I wouldn't rate it as twice the bag of a Macpac at half the price ( if you get what I mean ) It's always easy to say the expensive option isn't twice the product but in this case I think the more budget bags work fine, I have a 20 yo Katmandu down bag ( I use for a truck / crash out kit ) I got on sale for like $250 & while bigger n buckier theres fuk all difference in performance. I also have a Exped ultralight which is a great bag so could be worth a look ( being UL the zips are pretty lightweight though )

For bags it seems to come down to down loft n quality & a decent theremal liner helps
    Keep in mind with the liner some of them weigh upto 400grams and you will get far more warmth from adding 400g of down into a bag (fill weight) then a liner will do.
    I run a silk liner for keeping the bag clean tho
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

My two cents….my Macpac latitude 700 died a death in the bath tub when I tried to wash it, the baffles gave way, was only 6 years old but had excellent customer service from Macpac who refunded the purchase price as the model was discontinued. Bought a Rab Alpine Pro 800, at the time I compared specs and pretty sure the Rab on paper at least looked to be the warmer bag, but in the few times I’ve used the Rab I’m convinced it’s a colder bag, still warm enough but just not as warm as the macpac and with small details like a stitch seam standing proud 2-3 mm the length of the bag. If I could have found a Macpac with a 3/4 zip to split and use as a duvet for me and the dog I would have preferred MP. The Rab is good, I just think in this instance MP was better.
    FP
    erniec likes this.

I also have the lattitude 700 and its a nice bag but a tad on the heavy side at 1.5KG great for winter but too heavy most of the time.
    Happy Jack.

I have an older model of one of these.
    https://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/dome...MaAuR7EALw_wcB
    Pros. Great shoulder season bag, not too expensive, can be zipped right open.
    Cons. A bit heavier than the flash ones.
    I always use a silk liner and if the temperature really drops I will wear clothes inside it. I usually end up using it with the zip part open.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.