Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: sleeping bag comparison…

I run the seas to summit Trek II and could not rate it more. Four years of big missions and still going strong.
    https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campi...tml#additional

Its light, warm, and plenty cozy. I did once sleep in the Greenstone valley in the middle of winter (cold enough that bootlaces froze solid). I have since obtained a better sleeping mat and that solved that problem. It turns out they have quite light insulation on the bottom so you need a really good mat with them to avoid loosing heat to the ground.

Also a fun fact is that if you have a wife/gf and they get a sea to summit bag you can zip them together as the men's and women's ones have zips on opposing sides. They can also be unzipped to use as a quilt, I do this a lot in summer when it gets warm.

A really good bag, especially when used in tandem with a thermal mat and a liner to beef it up for those colder winter missions.

Another vote One Planet. Have the Cocoon and it’s been great. Packs well and is easily warm enough. Pays to get their 800+ loft option as obviously it’s lighter for the same warmth.
    Roarless20 and Borris like this.

No mention of the domex halo, wow, I got one when they were all the rage 3 or 4 yrs ago. My how times change...haven't had an issue with mine yet btw

Something not al have is a 2 way or seperate zip to be able to open and poke only your feet out to put on boots etc
    Even go for a midnight wander in it.
    STC likes this.

+1 for the One planet Cocoon 800loft.
    Very small packed size (w/ a aftermarket compression sack) and light weight.
    Name:  Resize_20240401_064850_0922.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  241.3 KB
    Name:  Resize_20240401_064851_1320.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  252.8 KB

Two bloody cold snowy nights last week where I was warm as toast in the Cocoon. I did wear my down jacket but it wasn't really needed, it just meant I could have an arm out.
    Micky Duck and KimberHunting like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Floundering Around View Post
    It turns out they have quite light insulation on the bottom so you need a really good mat with them to avoid loosing heat to the ground.
    way back when I worked in sports n camping store we had visit by rep of one of the big companies..possibly fairydown??? long time ago now...was shown that you can move the down around in sleeping baf baffles by doing a sort of karate chop motion to move n shake it along baffle from top to bottom...the bags had baffles running around bag of course.... might be solution to your woes.more on top in winter for warmth and more under neath in summer so not so warm.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

[QUOTE=Roarless20;1560888]+1 for the One planet Cocoon 800loft.

Pretty certain you will find those compression sacks will probably reduce the lofting ability/ life span of your down over time....
    TimC likes this.

[QUOTE=matagouri;1560957]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post

Pretty certain you will find those compression sacks will probably reduce the lofting ability/ life span of your down over time....
    yes if you leave them inside it compressed..when get home hang open in wardrobe or on a spare bed...thanks for reminder,mine still squished up from SAR call out two weeks ago!!!
    75/15/10 black powder matters

[QUOTE=matagouri;1560957]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post

You only have them compressed while carrying them in your backpack. They come with a large mesh storage bag.
    Micky Duck and STC like this.

Aight looking intently at the one planet bags now simply with the price and weight, and my shrinking budget lol.
    One question for the guys rating then, what’s the difference between the Nitrous and Cocoon? Can’t find bugger all between them despite weight and price. Specifically comparing the cocoon -5 and the Nitrous -3

Gkp
    I've got the spark 3. Went for the Long version but probably would go standard length next time.
    Amazing warmth to weight ratio.
    Only thing I don't like is the small zipper, easy to get it caught up but that will probably be the same on all light bags

Cheers mate. Yes I did see the spark uses a ykk 3 zip vs the one planets are a ykk 5 zip so a bit fatter. Also have an interesting zip guard on them but buggered if I know how effective it is.
    Everywhere seems to be almost sold out of spark 3 bags which is a good sign I guess. Still an option when comparing it to the cocoon -5 but I also need a new thermarest mat so money is in the equation too hahah.
    My big one is to save a bit of weight but really pack size is key too.

Gkp
    While you wait to find the right one and aquire the budget needed you could use a liner in your bag and a thin piece of mat (like the thin under floor insulation foam with the foil one side) to boost the warmth of your current set up

Current set up is too hot not too cold hahaha.

I went with one of these when they were on special.
    Light and packs down fairly small.
    Name:  20240403_201204.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  4.35 MB
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.