Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Rifle Cleaning Day Today

Rifle Cleaning Day Today

After a busy week on the Golf Course, it's gun cleaning day today.
    Some of the firearms have had 250 - 400 rounds through without clean.
    A couple got very wet on Thursday night so will need to be dried o7t and we'll oiled.Name:  20240413_122748.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  5.10 MB
    Trout, Gibo, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

some have had 250-400 rounds without cleaning - really I sincerely hope you mean the out side not the barrel

Lol 1000 plus rounds on my 22lr before I so major deep clean.
    Centrefire sometimes clean re oil without a shot fired, other times they go 100 rounds. Army 300 to 500 rnds a day , sometimes only full clean every 2nd or 4 day so 2000 rnds between cleanings. On the LMG Could 4000plus rounds in 30 mins then a big clean.
    TianBotha likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    some have had 250-400 rounds without cleaning - really I sincerely hope you mean the out side not the barrel
    Why? unless accuracy or function was suffering?
    BRADS and Harryg like this.

@Barry the hunter Sorry Barry but yes, that the inside which hasn't been cleaned! Bad I know. Usually I clean my rifles each weekend, but I missed last weekend, my bad. Too put it in context and depending on where or what I'm shooting l, I can go through 200 rounds of 22LR, sub or super in a night. Or 100 rounds of Hornet in a night, or 50 - 100 rounds of triple two doing long range daylight sniping. I probably got close to 75 - 100 rounds of 12 gauge on Thursday night. So I know it's not best Forestry Service practice, but this weekend they will all get a deep clean.
    Micky Duck, BSA270 and sig4x4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Shields View Post
    @Barry the hunter Sorry Barry but yes, that the inside which hasn't been cleaned! Bad I know. Usually I clean my rifles each weekend, but I missed last weekend, my bad. Too put it in context and depending on where or what I'm shooting l, I can go through 200 rounds of 22LR, sub or super in a night. Or 100 rounds of Hornet in a night, or 50 - 100 rounds of triple two doing long range daylight sniping. I probably got close to 75 - 100 rounds of 12 gauge on Thursday night. So I know it's not best Forestry Service practice, but this weekend they will all get a deep clean.
    okay just jealous go hard my man - you will get the job done - keep it up - the hunting I mean - the hornet must be expensive running - why not 222 or 223
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have just put 250 odd shots through my .223 over a week and cleaning apart from a swipe with a bore snake hasn't entered my head. I do a deep clean every few months whether it needs it or not
    Trout, tetawa, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Deep clean with JB BORE BRIGHT which I get from Wayne @ THE OUTDOOR HUT in Upper Hutt.
    That nylon brush has been through all four barrels without a wipe clean, so not too dirty.
    I've got to admit I saturated the barrel with white spirits, scrubbed with nylon brush, then stabbed with clothe BEFORE going though the process wit BORE BRIGHT. The theory is there is no point in getting the bore brush filthy on the first barrel.Name:  20240413_141530.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  2.99 MBName:  20240413_141530.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  2.99 MB

@Barry the hunter The top rifle is 222 Rem, which I prefer to 223 (I've never owned one) because of lower noise for close proximity shooting, lower recoil so 8 can keep my eye on the target, 222 had the historical record of being more accurate than 223, cheaper to reloadcat 18.5grn of ADI AR2207.

The economics of purchasing factory 22 Hornet excludes that calibre from pest control work BUT by reloading (excluding my time) makes Hornet as cheap to run as rimfire Magnum or .17. Base cost are:
    - Case 40 - 60 cents each
    - Powder 10.2grn 10.2 cents
    - Projectiles 28 - 40 cents
    - Primer 20 - 40 cents
    Which gives a cost spread of 98 cents to $1.70 for the first reload, which reduces to 58 cents to $1.10 per round. Reusing the brass up to 10 - 15 times.
    Balance that against income of $15 per goose or possum and it looks economical viable to me.....
    Micky Duck, BSA270 and blip like this.

keep it up good on ya .222 man from way back still have my original Remington .222 from 1975 still a tack holer second barrel but some 3-4,000 rounds later ( 1000 on new barrel ) wont ever sell carried that to many miles
    Trout, Micky Duck, BSA270 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I have just put 250 odd shots through my .223 over a week and cleaning apart from a swipe with a bore snake hasn't entered my head. I do a deep clean every few months whether it needs it or not
    There was a comment when Holden was culling in Hawkes Bay he was fastidious about cleanliness and made it known he did not appreciate his collegues who thought washing once every 2 weeks was ample.
    Tahr, Trout, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

I always clean my riffles after every hunt which means running patches through until clean even if only one shot fired.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    I always clean my riffles after every hunt which means running patches through until clean even if only one shot fired.
    Rifles should be cleaned every time they are take out, even if to just remove any jacket fowling and then to replace with fresh hoppes

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Rifles should be cleaned every time they are take out, even if to just remove any jacket fowling and then to replace with fresh hoppes
    Cripes, then my 223 would be a 44mag by now.
    Trout, Slug, Tentman and 5 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi