Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Rifle Cleaning Day Today

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Cripes, then my 223 would be a 44mag by now.
    Classic
    Nathan F likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    I always clean my riffles after every hunt which means running patches through until clean even if only one shot fired.
    Same here but it doesn't have to be an intensive clean. Mostly I dry patch out powder residue ( 3 or 4 patches ) then 3 or 4 passes with a CLP saturated patch to oil the bore, then into the safe barrel down.
    About four or five time per year cleaning is more thorough with KG1 to loosen / remove carbon fouling, KG12 for loosening copper fouling and if happy with the job, CLP wipe the bore before storing. If I need to remove anything really stubborn, like a carbon ring in the chamber, a KG2 scrub on a dedicated hard nylon brush does it every time.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Cripes, then my 223 would be a 44mag by now.
    It can go the other way too, around the time that the .17hmr came out, I remember reading somewhere that it was actually invented almost by accident. Little known fact but apparently one of the first 22 magnums had been used for culling since the early 1960s, shooting hundreds of rounds most working days and all without ever being cleaned. The copper fouling built up so much that the rifle (if you could still call it that) eventually became a .17 caliber. Along the way there was quite a period of time where it didn't shoot very well at all, the .21 calibre and the .18 calibre times were the worst from memory, but when it got down to .17 it hit a node so good that word of it's amazing accuracy and terminal ballistics performance caught the attention of a Hornady employee. On aquiring the rifle (again I use the term loosely) it took some work by the company to create a cartridge with head space that actually allowed folk of average strength to properly close the bolt on the 'prototype', but once this was done, the .17hmr was born and the rest as they say is history.
    Tahr, Micky Duck and Jukes like this.

That sounds like a story so tall that you can't shoot a .17HMR over the top of it. Like something hornady employees tell their kids at night to make them go to sleep.
    BRADS likes this.

@longshot I got to bed at 4am this morning and your story just put me back to sleep �� ��