Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Trauma kits Celox vs Quik clot

Maybe one of you chaps might like to follow me around during the roar as my sort of personal medic? Just don't go sticking a sanitary device into me without getting my permission first though. The mind boggles. I could die of toxic shock (google it).

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Maybe one of you chaps might like to follow me around during the roar as my sort of personal medic? Just don't go sticking a sanitary device into me without getting my permission first though. The mind boggles. I could die of toxic shock (google it).

If I carried around all the stuff that I "might" need in case of emergency, I wouldn't be able to walk because of the weight.
    As I recently read somewhere - "Don't carry around your fears".
    Kiwis are pretty good improvisers. A knife and your shirt will make a pretty good compression bandage.
    Tahr and veitnamcam like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    In my experience this is the sort of joke that returns to ones mind while sitting in a puddle of your own blood.
    I have no intention of walking through the bush prepared for every contingency.
    I carry on my belt adequate stuff for the most likely events. If I carted around a remedy for all of the least likely events I would, as I said, be loaded up like a medic.

I am though curious about this stuff that stops bleeding. But tampons, and plugging great gaping holes is a bridge too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    If I rounded up all the advice to not be wary I have heard from all the "experienced" weekend hunters it would be a long list.

Your shirt makes a good bandage if it is made from cotton. If it is made from cotton the fact you are now shirtless and injured is less of a worry as you were probably going to get hypothermia from lying immobilized in wet cotton shirt anyway.

The gear they are talking about is tiny and effective. If you don't carry much you might as well carry the right things. Like wool or synth shirts and bandages.

If all you carry around is luck, I wish you all the best (luck). You will need it.
    If I end up shirtless I will put my jacket on (which I always carry), or use my survival bag (which I always carry). If the injury is life threatening, I will activate my PLB (which I always carry) while my shirt stops the bleeding. These are thing I have thought about.
    Another saying I heard recently is that "a heavy pack is made up of a lot of light things". Too true.
    The best way to stop bleeding is not to let it start in the first place. I know "accidents" happen, but I use the outdoor in a way that minimises the risk of a serious accident. I know my limitations and stay within them. If I do have a serious accident hopefully I have the means to survive it without having to carry around a heap of "just in case" crap which I will never use. If I don't you can say "I told you so".
    PS. My "luck" (I like to think of it as good management) has been pretty good for the last 35 years.
    Gibo likes this.

Bandages make pretty crappy shirts too.
    And as I implied above, I think it is more than just luck that has kept me unharmed in the outdoors for the last 35 years.
    Last edited by Shearer; 26-02-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    Grim and veitnamcam like this.

I've had the Isreali bandage and celox sachet in my PLB pouch on my knife belt for about 2 years new. Its vac packed so is small and compact, don't even know its there.

I haven't had to use it and probably won't ever need the stuff, but if its not in the way then why not take it.
    Its that one time that you need it, maybe on someone else that you'll be glad you did.
    I try to make sure my hunting partners have the stuff to (have given it to them). One day I might be out cold so if I can help them help me its a double win.

Hope I never have to do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl2ieZzRtvo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNcTM1tHCXk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_memNCN0IY
    Last edited by chris-b; 26-02-2016 at 02:02 PM.
    Grim and Blue Arrow like this.
    Ping-Ping and Pew-Pew.
    Mathews Monster 28" @ 60#. X-Bolt .308

Quote Originally Posted by karl200 View Post
    Tampons are great for filling wounds especially exit wounds ( Stops woman bleeding out...), Israeli compression bandage is the best type I've used it really cranks the pressure on, if your thinking gunshot wounds you may like to look into gear for sucking chest wounds (collapsed lung) such as stick on flutter valve or ways to improvise. and oral or nasal airways they really are priceless for keeping an airway open.....When thinking Trauma think bleeding out and stop breathing
    I carry (especially in the roar) a couple tampons, a Israeli compression bandage, couple nasal airways, flutter valve thing and a Tourniquet. (Torurniquet only if you cant stop the artery bleeding out with all the other stuff been used already)
    Sorry sir going to disagree with you about that. One tampon is designed to hold about 30mls of blood which is bugger all and while it works for the fairer of the species you would do just as well with a rolled up bandage stuffed in there. Gear for sucking chest wounds is the eftpos card and duck tape. I am curious do you hunt with people who know how insert a nasopharyngeal airway?
    Savage1 likes this.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

And I would advocate for carrying Celox, get the bandage form otherwise it's like pouring icing sugar in the wind.
    Hey just so you are aware there are potential side effects to using Celox and while it does save a life by stopping bleeding, there is no doubt there, you may also like to know it increases your chances of clots being formed and going for a very merry wander round your body.
    Clot hits the brain, stroke. clot hits the heart, heart attack. clot hits the lung embolism....don't stop the bleeding you die. rock and a hard place.
    I might just stay at home and hunt from my computer...hang on not moving enough I might get a clot.

Life to short really. Celox, light, portable and works. Ah bugger it I just happen to have it in my kit.
    You may also like to purchase from these wonderful people
    Product Search : Emergency Care, Training and Rescue

Just type celox and go for the z fold bandage or the applicator.

@Willie
    How effective is Celox if the patient is on heart drugs such as Wafarine (sp)
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    @Willie
    How effective is Celox if the patient is on heart drugs such as Wafarine (sp)
    It laughs in the face of blood thinners Pengy!
    Grim and Pengy like this.

As a general day hunter can someone give me an idea of what first aid is ideal to carry? I have a full kit in my car but never take any in the bush

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    As a general day hunter can someone give me an idea of what first aid is ideal to carry? I have a full kit in my car but never take any in the bush
    enough to stop the leaking and ease the pain. Anyhting else you can ususally walk out and back to the car kit.
    Ping-Ping and Pew-Pew.
    Mathews Monster 28" @ 60#. X-Bolt .308

I use a 250gr marmite container,
    1 bandage,
    few plasters, assorted size.
    couple wound pads 3" square
    2 needles, few ear buds, tooth picks.
    painkillers and anthismine tablets, about a dozen in total.
    part tube of antiseptic cream,
    small roll of medical tape.
    sealed with insulation tape.

have been thinking of adding a little pk of burn gel,
    and getting six -10 stronger painkillers,

this kit is in my belt bag. been used many times,
    Last edited by southernman; 27-02-2016 at 04:06 PM.