Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: The ULTIMATE rain jacket

Thanks everyone for your replies. Had a look at the earth sea sky range and looks like they’ve got me covered. Being NZ made will go with them
    25/08IMP, hotsoup, imaca and 1 others like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Backsteaks View Post
    @257weatherby have you ever weighed your army outdoors raincoat? Interested in what one of them weigh
    And you’re certainly right about misrepresented gear. Shows what marketing can achieve for a brand. Makes you wonder why a lot of guys on social media and tv all represent SC
    Am guessing around 700g.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    You still trapping bro?
    Nah mate I'm back on the tools now

AS Tahr said Technidairy. Obvious. LOL. Great leggings as well if doing lotsa 4wheeler work.

Another problem is a lot of raincoats will keep you dry but not warm, why layering becomes important
    RV1 likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I have got a Cactus Rain Jacket (these are now $$$) and a British Army MVP jacket - I pretty much always use the ex-Army one as it packs down a bit smaller ...
    Moa Hunter and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by +Snoop View Post
    I'm going to throw this thought into the mix. I was running a Swazi Kagoule (800g medium) (soft exterior, waterproof, good length rain jacket), but noticed it was not completely waterproof a year or so later when going for walks locally. Sent it in to Swazi and they found little micro holes, the cause, using it bush hunting I'd pick.

Then I realised that you could have the most expensive rain jacket on the market, that is perfectly breathable, lightweight, compact and the latest technical waterproofing, whatever that looks like... if you take it into the bush, your gonna munt it.

So, moved on from the Kagoule, got a Swazi Rifleman (trying to support local) for the tops trip (350 odd grams), lightweight and packable. For hunting bush, I pick my days, and use a Swazi fleece. I've actually picked up a Swandri Reidston (kinda a more athletic cut of the traditional swanni, really really like it) and intend on using this in the deep of winter in wet bush, wool and warm. If it's absolutely chucking down, a Line 7 PVC rain jacket might be the go, or not hunting.
    Pretty much exactly why I now use a HE Halo for most things. Cheap, lightweight, waterproof and I won’t cry if I bugger it.
    25/08IMP likes this.

Cactus mountain coat is the best jacket I've found buy far, and I've tried most.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum likes this.

Be aware, there are degrees of "rainproofing" built into raincoats. I was in a Macpac store a while back and looking at a raincoat. I asked the assistant how rainproof this model is. He said: "define rainproof". I said "2 hours in very heavy rain" . He shook his head. He handed me one that would fit the bill. It works. Ask the questions.

Kuiu have 25% off sale at the moment for some things, including the NORTHRIDGE RAIN JACKET and pants.
    Not cheap but good quality.

The Kuiu stuff is great but you really need to wear both the coat and jacket together.
    I’ve also goat the latest stretchy Swazi Thar jacket (made offshore!) . I wanted pockets for my ‘always getting cold’ fingers.
    I’ll report back after winter.

Having owned most raincoats - yes I have a problem - I have come to a few conclusions. First up, lightweight and durability don't really get along very well. A lightweight raincoat can be amazing but they crap out. I still buy them but they are for emergencies, not for wearing with packs, or bushbashing, or getting blood on. Secondly. I love pitzips. I have yet to find a breathable fabric that works sweating up a hill. Third, "quiet" raincoats with furry outsides hold water. They get really heavy. F that. Fourth, a near new coat will be good for a few years then get worse. You can defer the inevitable with careful washing and DWR - but they all decline.Even the heavyweight ones. So don't think they are invincible, look after them. Fifth, long coats are a kiwi thing - US brands often have short jackets to be worn with rain pants.Sixth, you _generally_ get what you pay for. Some coats are ridiculous. 1500 bucks for an Arcteryx Alpha SV? Yeah Nah.
    So pick your coat for the conditions. Fiordland for a week in winter very different from a day walk in summer very different to bashing through the matagouri. Pick the tool for the job. There is no magic raincoat.
    Lightweight? The Goretex shake dry stuff is amazing. About as durable as glad wrap. But breathable and OMG it is water proof when new.
    Fiordland? A plasticy Goretex pro shell with pit zips, good luck finding one with a decent length... the now discontinued Sitka Kodiak was awesome.
    shift14, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

My best raincoat (when new!) was an Aussie hand made one (lots of personal measurements supplied to the maker) by Wilderness Equipment. Back in the 80's it was the ducks nuts. 2 layer Goretex, pit zips, fantastic hood, pockets that DIDN"T fill with rainwater . Went all around the world, and for a 35 day trek in Nepal to 21,500 ft and kept me warm and dry. Unlike a lot of other brands on display on that same trip. But was only great for the first 3 or so years, Then it was all downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Backsteaks View Post
    @257weatherby have you ever weighed your army outdoors raincoat? Interested in what one of them weigh
    And you’re certainly right about misrepresented gear. Shows what marketing can achieve for a brand. Makes you wonder why a lot of guys on social media and tv all represent SC
    Mine weighs 606grams (size small).
    Interesting comments about the Hydrophobia. We have them as work issue and no one rates them. Must say I haven't really challenged mine yet.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

The new Hunters Element Atlas Jacket has caught my attention. Some impressive figures for breathability and waterproofness (if that’s a word). Hopefully they offer an alternative colour to the brown, I do not do brown in big game hunting clothing.
    Micky Duck likes this.