Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Sarvo
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Forestry
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Finnwolf

Thread: Water proof jacket and pants advise

Water proof jacket and pants advise

I'm going into the greenstone in a week and looking for a jacket and pants that will do the job. Current looking at the bush buck options - Bush buck Defender Jacket (10000mm) or the possibly the Typhone jacket.Also in the line for water proof pants too.Im also looking at the Stoney creek Glasnock jacket and there water proof pants .Wanting to spend nothing over $
    800 overall any advise would be appreciated.

Army surplus gear works all good. I have some ex British army over trousers from Army and outdoors. Check them out

Quote Originally Posted by Haydenp View Post
    I'm going into the greenstone in a week and looking for a jacket and pants that will do the job. Current looking at the bush buck options - Bush buck Defender Jacket (10000mm) or the possibly the Typhone jacket.Also in the line for water proof pants too.Im also looking at the Stoney creek Glasnock jacket and there water proof pants .Wanting to spend nothing over $
    800 overall any advise would be appreciated.
    Get the best Sale out there deal
    And there are plenty I imagine now

For what you will use it for all the ones in H&F etc mass produced China stuff will be fine
    But if you were going to use it daily or weekly full time - it wont stay waterproof and seam seals all fail given time/use
    What I dislike about what I have seen just on rack in shops - its bloody stiff rigid looking stuff that prob come right with use

I see a lot of guys have the seam sealed 100% waterproof (I have Arcteryx myself only ever warn when needed boating or near house as we live in the bush) gear and often its not needed as they done't go out in the rain and then when they are out and about hunting in good weather - they have to use it as its their #1 outer item and they get wet with perspiration
    Breaths - not in my experience - not enough to not end up very damp inside.

So if I was you - would get a shell light coat that can stay in your day pack (poncho work well if caught out in rain)
    And concentrate more on whats against your skin and what on your feet

I have another Arcteryx Jacket that weight 355gms and folds up so small
    Perfect to have when "needed" and away out unknown when not

Just looking now at my lightweight Arcteryx Jacket (500$+ jacket too I might add)
    Prob been used 20 times (and not for long periods or any bush bashing) and its seams failing
    Superglue time

Name:  226330131_5830576393680301_5970102073538864313_n.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  38.0 KB
    Last edited by Sarvo; 01-08-2021 at 10:17 AM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

What size are you ? I have a pair of Stoney Creek hydro tough pants size M for sale on the Buy And Sell section.$80
    csmiffy likes this.

Swazi have got the KAGOULE and Tahr xp jackets for pretty sharp prices in their bargain bin online at the moment. Both top of the line NZ made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have been trying to answer this question for myself lately and testing combinations.
    The conclusion Ive come to is two jackets, one lightweight gortex or similar breathable membrane job and a lightweight totally waterproof outer shell PU type jacket or Gamegear Poncho worn over the top. That is the only way I have stayed completely dry and the only way the Goretex jacket doesnt get soaked so it can be put on dry the next day.
    Sarvo likes this.

Stoney Creek Stowit is good value. Not the most waterproof rating or breathable but very good pack size and has kept me dry. I’m not a fan of waterproof pants due to comfort if exerting. Prefer long Johns.

The latest Huntech waterproof jackets look excellent.
    Sarvo likes this.

for me,waterproof pants are a no-go.....too noisy,too hot,too hard to walk in...I have a great pair of heavy canvas chaps eg pants with no crutch,they held up by a belt and I can wear them all day no issues made by NZ hunting products......
    the other option is gaiters over your boots and simple fleece pants over top of those...water runs down fabric and stays outside your boots
    jackets are a personal thing...big n heavy and warm ideal from wagon...not so good if walking long distances. I like a light nylon shell and will wear it inside polarfleece if bush stalking....have a soft shell cabelas bumfreezer jacket that screws up small,this is ideal for stalking in bush as non scratchy and not too hot or heavy.... plenty of options out there if ok with a bit of weight....kaiwaka comes to mind...basically go look at what is in stock n station agents shops,wrightsons,farmlands etc...they worn all day everyday so tough and last.
    Sarvo likes this.

They will probably fit Me flick me a text 0275120200 and I'll take them

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
    Stoney Creek Stowit is good value. Not the most waterproof rating or breathable but very good pack size and has kept me dry. I’m not a fan of waterproof pants due to comfort if exerting. Prefer long Johns.

Sounds perfect mate flick me a text in 027512020 for your bank account

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    for me,waterproof pants are a no-go.....too noisy,too hot,too hard to walk in...I have a great pair of heavy canvas chaps eg pants with no crutch,they held up by a belt and I can wear them all day no issues made by NZ hunting products......
    the other option is gaiters over your boots and simple fleece pants over top of those...water runs down fabric and stays outside your boots
    jackets are a personal thing...big n heavy and warm ideal from wagon...not so good if walking long distances. I like a light nylon shell and will wear it inside polarfleece if bush stalking....have a soft shell cabelas bumfreezer jacket that screws up small,this is ideal for stalking in bush as non scratchy and not too hot or heavy.... plenty of options out there if ok with a bit of weight....kaiwaka comes to mind...basically go look at what is in stock n station agents shops,wrightsons,farmlands etc...they worn all day everyday so tough and last.

I wear gaitors bush buck short canvis gaitors they are really good not a huge fan of long gaitors hence why I want water proof pants. I usually wear long johns but the water when walking through grass runs down then into your boots

When I hunted that area ( pre Goretex days! ) I didn’t worry about any waterproof trousers, I just wore shorts.

And wore a japara parka (with an old jersey over it when hunting in the bush to prevent that ‘scratchy’ noise.)

Nowadays I’d still wear the shorts but would haves modern ‘ non scratchy’ jacket.
    Micky Duck and Sarvo like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Forestry View Post

I have one of those stow jackets from guncity they work probably just as good. I wore it all today and it kept me pretty dry which was not bad for $100 jacket.

Sounds perfect mate flick me a text in 027512020 for your bank account
    Sorry one more zero on the end

I wear gaitors bush buck short canvis gaitors they are really good not a huge fan of long gaitors hence why I want water proof pants. I usually wear long johns but the water when walking through grass runs down then into your boots
    thats where fleece pants really shine by having them OUTSIDE your gaiters the water doesnt go into boots. tall gaiters are no problem at all if you get set that stay up,and Ive found all sorts of ways to do this over the years,soccer shin pads worked with elcheapho canvas ones... the really cheap ones I now use have velcro full length up front and they stay up really well. I have put long johns over gaiters but it stretches them and they get beaten up terribly.