Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Water Proof Pants/ leggings

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Poncho keeps rifle handy and out of the weather, covers back pack and belt gear...really fast to put on and take off...makes a good groundsheet or bivvy...the army used to think they were the bees-knees for their troops, don't know if they still use them or whether soldiers still go out in the rain.
    Nah we just shutdown and go home when it rains or things get hard...
    DavidGunn and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Earth Sea Sky are the best apparently
    I have a pair of these and I do like them but seldom wear them. I prefer wet legs when walking. They can be good as warmth layer when stationary though, especially in wet windy conditions.
    bigbear likes this.

Have had several pairs of dream bull over trou. They are very good initially but don't last very long if you use them often. Have now got a pair of the earth sea sky extreem over trou an they so far seem to be good. A little harder wearing to but they do cost a small fortune but was having to buy 3 pairs of dream bulls in two years which was getting expensive anyway.
    WillB and hotsoup like this.

If you are hunting seriously then you cant beat poly pro long johns over nylon shorts and with your choice of puttess/ gaiters. You will get wet but they move freely, are quiet and when wet they dry off quickly. With a good coat that covers down over my butt I have yet to be in a situation where my life depended on having waterproof and wind proof overtrou. But I stand to be corrected. Maybe if standing on the crest of the southern alps? I have tried a few overtrou and most were too noisy if a good enough shell to shed water or were too heavy. Carry more weight in a good coat is my thoughts.
    Ryan_Songhurst and Got-ya like this.

MSL
    You wear your shorts under your long Johns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    imaca likes this.

Umm. Oops. No, shorts over the long johns.
    WillB and imaca like this.

Wear huntech knee length shorts over old cycling leggings that don't have the chamois in them. Don't get caught in the bush as much as polyprop long johns. If I stop for any time I'll Chuck a cheap pair of lightweight overtrousers over the top to stop the wind.

Kaiwaka workwear dairytex over trousers. About $120. Light, waterproof and flexible. Wouldn't want to do a hike in them. But awesome for sitting still. Also, a slightly-bigger-than-butt-size EVA foam pad cut from a cheap roll-up mattress... Waterproof, light, cheap and fits in a day pack.

If you go to stoney creek website I am pretty sure there is a lockdown special on. Mention lockdown get $20 off. Dont know how much postage is though.

I prefer short shorts and a long parka that covers the shorts...your leg skin is 100% waterproof, guaranteed.
    mikee and Happy Jack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    I prefer short shorts and a long parka that covers the shorts...your leg skin is 100% waterproof, guaranteed.
    My skin has a tendency to leak from the inside.

Best thing ever for keeping the rain off is a roof.
    mikee likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Best thing ever for keeping the rain off is a roof.
    Next best is an umbrella...come to think of it I have seen farmers getting the cows to the shed with one but never seen a hunter with one, I wonder if they come in camo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibzy View Post
    Wear huntech knee length shorts over old cycling leggings that don't have the chamois in them. Don't get caught in the bush as much as polyprop long johns. If I stop for any time I'll Chuck a cheap pair of lightweight overtrousers over the top to stop the wind.
    Fu*k me those cycling leggings would smell like an old polecat after 3 or 4 days of hunting!? Merino undies keep the stench at bay for a bit longer.