Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Three O'Three
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 4 Post By imaca
  • 1 Post By Slug
  • 2 Post By Three O'Three

Thread: Well This Turned to Custard

Well This Turned to Custard

Hi all. Today I tried my hand at making a pouch for my Opinel No12. After constructing the pouch which came out well I decided to harden it with 50/50 beeswax and paraffin wax. I rubbed it in on another sheath last week with good results but this time I thought I'd be clever a dip the pouch into hot melted wax, and as the title says, it turned to custard. So much wax stuck to the pouch I had to put it in the oven in a attempt to get the excess wax to dip off and wipe off what I could, didn't get as much off as I was hoping, pouch dried but still feels a little sticky and looks like shit, might have to try again and build another and apply wax by hand but run out of rivets.
    Name:  DSCN0193[1].JPG
Views: 525
Size:  121.2 KB
    Bavarian_Hunter and Hermitage like this.

so you made a shit not a pouch
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

could you hang it and try a heat gun on it to de wax it?
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Or iron it between layers of brown paper?

I laced the last sheath with fishing braid rather than rivets. But before you make another one, you have nothing to lose trying to remove the wax etc from the existing one. You currently have a sheath you cannot use and dont have a sheath that you can use...if you ruin it trying to remove the wax you are exactly the same place as you are now....
    11mms likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Popsicle stick or similar and scrap any excess off? Then just use it and put up with it until the leather softens up again? Lessons learned though, baking leathergoods isn't a great plan and neither is dunking it in wax haha.

Nothing to lose so submerge in bees wax thinners (turps) and warm up. The remove, cover in rags inside and out and squash to soak up the last bits of dissolved wax

Acetone wipe?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Just put the knife in your pocket :-)
    308, flock, paremata and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Hi all. Today I tried my hand at making a pouch for my Opinel No12. After constructing the pouch which came out well I decided to harden it with 50/50 beeswax and paraffin wax. I rubbed it in on another sheath last week with good results but this time I thought I'd be clever a dip the pouch into hot melted wax, and as the title says, it turned to custard. So much wax stuck to the pouch I had to put it in the oven in a attempt to get the excess wax to dip off and wipe off what I could, didn't get as much off as I was hoping, pouch dried but still feels a little sticky and looks like shit, might have to try again and build another and apply wax by hand but run out of rivets.
    Attachment 239102
    yes got sucked into a beeswax for my bike leathers - never again damn stuff just went into lumps in the cold and came of leathers looked like they had been hit with white lumps - got a proper german saddle oil effax comes as black or brown good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes got sucked into a beeswax for my bike leathers - never again damn stuff just went into lumps in the cold and came of leathers looked like they had been hit with white lumps - got a proper german saddle oil effax comes as black or brown good stuff
    You might find that's just beeswax with parafin and neatsfoot mixed in 😁
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

A wick and a match...
    Ross Nolan likes this.

wear it on ya belt in the srub and let ma nature remove the excess which it will inevitably.likwise the natural movement of the knife in and out of the sheath over time.

One of the guys at work said to leave on the window sill in full sun and eventually it'll dry up. Left it out today and so far so good.
    308 and XR500 like this.