Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 6 Post By Husky1600
  • 1 Post By Jit
  • 4 Post By hotbarrels

Thread: What Binoculars to buy ??

What Binoculars to buy ??

Hi Team, so I would like some advice on what Binoculars to buy.
    I have just sold my Vortex 12 x 50 Diamondbacks.
    Great Binoculars but more power than I need and also physically larger and heavier than I want. I am trying to lighten my load as I get older 😌.
    I have $600 to $700 max to spend.
    Binoculars aren't something I have had a lot of experience with.

Buy used alpha or near alpha binos, e.g., Leica Trinovid. Older eyes need the most they can get. If you are hunting high, then you will need 10x42, if low, 7x42 or 8x42.

It's funny you sold your Diamondbacks. The 8x42 version have good reviews in that price bracket. Don't pay more than $430 and pocket the difference for more gear.

Always identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss and I will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    It's funny you sold your Diamondbacks. The 8x42 version have good reviews in that price bracket. Don't pay more than $430 and pocket the difference for more gear.

Always identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss and I will be missed
    I liked the Diamondbacks, just brought too much magnification for my purpose

10x32s are a great compact size if you want to loose a little weight and with decent glass give little away to the 42s.
    I use Kowa 10x32s and after selling my Minox 10x44s wouldn't go back to big binos.
    viper likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Spend as much money as you can possibly afford, and then some. I used Leupold Cascades for years cos they fitted the price point I could afford, and they were bloody good bino's. My son now uses them. I then was given a pair of the Swaro 10x32 and will never part with them, reasonably compact, and excellent glass. I prefer 10x, but I dont like the bulk of bigger models so the Swaro's fit the bill. I also a set of Leica 10x25 which I call my "fishing glasses" cos they fit in my pocket and are light. And they have spotted plenty of animals for me.
    TeRei, mikee, Shearer and 3 others like this.

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Spend as much money as you can possibly afford, and then some. I used Leupold Cascades for years cos they fitted the price point I could afford, and they were bloody good bino's. My son now uses them. I then was given a pair of the Swaro 10x32 and will never part with them, reasonably compact, and excellent glass. I prefer 10x, but I dont like the bulk of bigger models so the Swaro's fit the bill. I also a set of Leica 10x25 which I call my "fishing glasses" cos they fit in my pocket and are light. And they have spotted plenty of animals for me.
    Absolutely true. You can’t hunt what you can’t see. Plus the sheer joy of the image is worth alphas. When you get that WOW experience the first time you put them to your eyes there’s no looking back.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I went to the Sika show a few years ago and looked through every pair of bino's I could lay my hands on, from the cheapies to the most expensive.
    For me, none of the big-name high-priced units lived up to the hype on a cost to benefit ratio. I found Leupold to be the best bang for buck.

I have two bino's - leica ultravid 10x25 compacts for long walk days (best compact out there), and Leupold 10x50HD BX-3 for when weight is not an issue, and you are glassing for longer periods.

In your price range if you want new, I recommend a set of Leupold BX-2 Alpine HD 10x42mm retailing at $599.

The Sika show is coming up. I suggest you go to that and try before you buy. One other thing I noted when trying all the different brands and models was that personal fit is very important and something often overlooked. Some bino's just didn't fit me. They were uncomfortable, required constant positioning to get a good view, or made my eye sockets sore. Then, you will pick up that one pair that just fits like a glove, and it is oh so good! Bino fit is like buying boots - some fit you better than others. Worth considering if you are spending long sessions glassing.
    erniec, Husky1600, Cigar and 1 others like this.