Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Whats in your First Aid Kit?

I'm a minimalist: its first aid, not second aid. Tampon and a roll of good quality insulation tape.

There's a million uses for insulation tape...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ8PnPF3orY

Oh, and drugs. Twisted knees or ankles aren't worthy of a plb if I can dull the pain enough to get back out

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I'm a minimalist: its first aid, not second aid. Tampon and a roll of good quality insulation tape.

There's a million uses for insulation tape...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ8PnPF3orY

Oh, and drugs. Twisted knees or ankles aren't worthy of a plb if I can dull the pain enough to get back out
    Another tampon guy. What are you going to do with it? I read a saying "tampons for drama, not trauma".

I go alone and carry PLB, foil blanket x2 sports strapping tape about 50mm wide, crape bandage, Israeli bandage and TQ. PLB with whistle is around my neck under my shirt. Whats going to happen. Slips, trips, falls, most dangerous is probably cutting yourself when butchering (So excited that a miracle has happened and shot something ) and bullet hole. Minor cuts, burns, scrapes, splinters get some spit and a rub and can wait until I get home.
    Vaseline you never know when you need lube
    Just read what I carry and why do I carry crape bandage when I have strapping tape?

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way.
    We are all different and act in different ways to pain. Some can take quite a beating from a fall ect, or a fairly nasty injury and carry on and get themselves out of trouble.
    Others seem to crumble and collapse and become unable to move or help themselves with relatively minor injuries.
    If you are the latter my guess you will carry more. Then there are the lets cover all scenarios including nuclear war and be able to treat multiple people.
    We all should carry a PLB at the very least. If you haven't got one think about getting one.
    timattalon likes this.

MB
    As for pain meds, I carry them for a couple of reasons. First thing, it might be a minor ache that could take the fun out of a trip. Second, it might be something more serious that requires you to move to safety while in significant pain. I carry a PLB too, but how long after activating does help actually arrive? You might have a long painful wait. A few pills don't weigh much.
    Tahr and sore head stoat like this.

I’m with Tahr, you don’t need much.

In 35yrs of hunting I’ve arsed over a few times, cut myself once, had a stick in my eye pushing through some shit & been stung plenty, had a mate slash his thumb. So some simple stuff for cuts, Voltaren for sore/pulled muscles, Panadol/codeine for pain relief and antihistamines tabs/cream for stings, needle for splinters and an eye wash sachet.

Anything serious and your heading out under your own seam or via a PLB.
    Mathias likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!