Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Where to buy lapping film?

Where to buy lapping film?

The wife is grumbling about my lockdown beard, but the only way it is coming off is with my straight razor - which is too blunt to use at the moment.

I normally hone it with the packs of 3M lapping film from AliExpress, but I'm all out and methinks it could take a while for more to get here.

Do any of you cutlers out there know where in NZ to get it without breaking the bank? Or even better, have an old coticule or similar you'd part with?

Cheers guys!

back of a leather belt and jewelers rouge
    mopheadrob likes this.

ebf
    Yup, do some youtube searches

You can lap/strop with just about anything.

Something that has a bit of "give" in it like leather is the best option. In terms of compound - hell, even toothpaste will work - it is mildly abrasive.
    mopheadrob likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Yup, do some youtube searches

You can lap/strop with just about anything.

Something that has a bit of "give" in it like leather is the best option. In terms of compound - hell, even toothpaste will work - it is mildly abrasive.
    toothpaste and water is bloody good for plastic car headlights that have gone cloudy. being waterbased theres no chance of solvent damage.
    mopheadrob likes this.

When I got my straight razor I always thought it was a bit blunt but found a method that helps a lot. Use a pre shave lather up with a decent shave soap, followed by a hot shower (later on in the day) to soften the bristles up. Then lather up straight out of the shower, and shave as normal.
    I had a kangaroo leather strop somewhere but haven't seen it for yonks.
    Oh and trim off the majority of the beard first. Makes a massive difference
    If you know all this, disregard
    mopheadrob likes this.

i just use a hammer, knock my whiskers to the inside and chew the buggers off
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Back?? I use smooth side...
    this belt is smooth inside just lacks any colour or polish etc
    mopheadrob likes this.

Thanks guys - I already have a strop that I use (without compound) before each shave, but find I need to hone with the lapping film on a glass plate once every dozen or so shaves. The razor wasn't a flash one, so probably doesn't hold an edge very well. Plus I have a pretty coarse beard. The edge is a bit far gone for stropping to bring it back now. Will try the toothpaste idea on an old weights belt I have lying around - I don't really want to stuff up my good strop.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    Thanks guys - I already have a strop that I use (without compound) before each shave, but find I need to hone with the lapping film on a glass plate once every dozen or so shaves. The razor wasn't a flash one, so probably doesn't hold an edge very well. Plus I have a pretty coarse beard. The edge is a bit far gone for stropping to bring it back now. Will try the toothpaste idea on an old weights belt I have lying around - I don't really want to stuff up my good strop.
    i have some compound you can have at no charge.
    csmiffy likes this.

Autosol will do it.

I just get the filmy stuff thats in my lap when the dancers gone home.

What ...... oh wrong forum
    Tikka7mm08 and mopheadrob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    The wife is grumbling about my lockdown beard, but the only way it is coming off is with my straight razor - which is too blunt to use at the moment.

I normally hone it with the packs of 3M lapping film from AliExpress, but I'm all out and methinks it could take a while for more to get here.

Do any of you cutlers out there know where in NZ to get it without breaking the bank? Or even better, have an old coticule or similar you'd part with?

Cheers guys!
    bladesnz, they sell it specifically for the wicked edge but it will work on anything as the back is sticky, have various microns going down to .5, which is roughly 50000 grit...if they can’t help then I could sharpen it for you, never tried a double edge razor before so I would do it for postage only, no guarantees on it though.
    mopheadrob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    bladesnz, they sell it specifically for the wicked edge but it will work on anything as the back is sticky, have various microns going down to .5, which is roughly 50000 grit...if they can’t help then I could sharpen it for you, never tried a double edge razor before so I would do it for postage only, no guarantees on it though.
    The stuff on BladesNZ look to be the go. Any idea of the dimensions? I normally buy it in A4-sized sheets and cut in thirds, approx. 3" wide. Thanks for the offer, but for me part of the enjoyment of straight razor shaving is doing everything yourself. Also note that double edge (DE) razors are a different beast altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have some compound you can have at no charge.
    Might have to take you up on that if I'm over your way before I've been able to sort something - cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Yes, hot towel (opens pores and raises/softens hair) and good shave soap, work the brush against the grain of the hair to stand em up more.
    I put a self adhesive mirror in the shower box and shave after washing and before I turn the shower off. Learnt that trick when I was married cos it stopped the nagging about hair in the basin........a wee bit of foam smeared over the mirror stops it from fogging up.......
    mopheadrob likes this.