Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 3 Post By Bol Tackshin
  • 6 Post By Ned
  • 1 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: Why have vari power binos never caught on?

Why have vari power binos never caught on?

I was out for a hunt this morning and the area I was in requires a bit of long distance glassing and quite a bit of bush hunting. I took my 10x32s which were great for the open stuff but fov in the bush sux. I thought a 6-10x30 bino would be great for both situations.
    I have seen some vari power binos in the past but they don't seem to have become a thing. Is it too difficult to manufacture good quality ones? Anyone know why they don't seem to have caught on?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

You can get dual power binoculars (check out Leica 'Duovids').

I imagine vario-power bins would be very expensive to manufacture (decent ones that is), and there are too many optical compromises. As you zoom in, you'd lose FOV and brightness.

It would be more practical to pack two binoculars: a compact, low mag pair, and then have a larger objective/higher mag bino to supplement it. Or perhaps a pair of compact binos and a small, hand-held telescope like the Swaro CTS (if you're not keen on taking a conventional tripod mounted spotter). https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/prod...ing-scope-body

Someone left a pair at work, had amplay with them for a day or two before they rang asking me to send them back... (Folks never ring about their scratched sunglasses and dirty hats)

They were an older pair of leupolds, the zoom worked nicely and I liked them but not sure I would want a pair, a lot bulkyier and the zoom lever is another thing to get caught up in bino pouch when getting them out.

I didn't have a problem but imagine maintaining focus through the zoom range could be an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    You can get dual power binoculars (check out Leica 'Duovids').

I imagine vario-power bins would be very expensive to manufacture (decent ones that is), and there are too many optical compromises. As you zoom in, you'd lose FOV and brightness.

It would be more practical to pack two binoculars: a compact, low mag pair, and then have a larger objective/higher mag bino to supplement it. Or perhaps a pair of compact binos and a small, hand-held telescope like the Swaro CTS (if you're not keen on taking a conventional tripod mounted spotter). https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/prod...ing-scope-body
    Just like a vari power scope??
    Don't think carrying two pairs of binos is going to happen.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I have contemplated buying a cheap high power pair and cutting them in half so would have a monocular that was half the weight..... have looked at monoculars on trademe but never pushed buy now.

I have contemplated buying a cheap high power pair and cutting them in half so would have a monocular that was half the weight..... have looked at monoculars on trademe but never pushed buy now. heading away this weekend....had the 10x binos packed and was going to use main rifle with fixed 4x scope...then when felt weight of pack...took big binos out,replaced with not so good small light 10x pair and changed rifle to one with vari power scope.... swings n roundabouts....seems alot of folks now have scope with 12x or more at top end...so once animal is found with binos...you could check it out with scope...

In a word, collimation. It's challenging in a telescope, but to get the exact same magnification to be aligned exactly means they will be expensive, or give you a killer headache while your brain tries to keep up...

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/a...%20the%20stars.
    veitnamcam, Shearer and Frodo like this.

Ned
    Don't you just turn them.round and look through them.from the other end?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Leupold made a very good set of vari power binos a few years back. I had a play with a mates pair and they were awesome.
    I always wondered why they stopped making them.

Leupold Golden Ring 10/17x42mm Switch Power Binocular

I have had a pair of Minolta 8-20x50 zoom binos for about 10 years. They're big and don't look a particularly waterproof design but they do work well. Used then mounted on a tripod for spotting at the Toby shoots.
    Shearer likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have a pair of 6-24x varipower binos. (Yukon?) They work well and even with glasses being worn, I have no problems. They are big and bulky though. More something in a truck or boat etc than a set I would carry on a hunt.
    Shearer likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......