Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: World's toughest boots

@Pengy :
    " I think it is about time that you starting writing a book "

Yeh l keep getting told by family & mates ,l featured in a book about our time in Arnhem Land & Kimberly's of Oz, with some bushy legends & the author wants to write one on our exploits but it is not really my thing ,missus reckons l have been around Blackfellas that long l think cameras steal your soul & am always ducking out of them .

The long process of sitting down & going over at times painful memories, where people got badly hurt or lost for the book was a major pain in the arse for me & l did not enjoy it, only did it so some good blokes & Old School proper " Mans, Man" were not forgotten , the family & mates are at me to do it now l have semi retired ,but still not phased .

I took a lot of film before "water proof adventure cameras" were common ,lugging around a pro quality Sony camera, in a proper dive chamber ,as the dust, water ,perspiration, humidity , blood etc ,etc would kill them back then , now you could probably use a phone for better results(Fuck l am old ) . So the girls have recorded memories of our adventures ,the only reason l would go through with the book is to makes sure proper Bushmen are remembered & that my Missus gets recognition for what she put up with while we lived & worked in some of the most remotes places on earth .

It all sounds goo,d but reality is this is a example of having remote adventures & what living remote for my missus involved & the knowledge at all times ,that not only would the local critters kill you at the drop of a hat ,but a injury was going to put you in a world of pain for hours ,maybe days, before you would be MediVac out by the Flying Doctor or bounced around like a bag of broken bones in the tray of a Tojo for hours to reach the nearest proper care.

Bed for months while Buff Catching 44's ,Swag & Mozzie net .

Name:  Tojo Buff Camp Bed Sml.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  95.8 KB

When you have second thoughts about a DIY Leather Interior in your FJ40 Tojo

Name:  Tojo DIY Leather Interior.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  97.2 KB

When you customize your Tojo work truck & Doors are optional but Bionic Arms essential

Name:  Tojo Bionic Arm.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  79.4 KB
    Last edited by bunji; 27-02-2022 at 09:11 PM.
    Pengy, Steve123 and trapperjohn like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Shit. Coulda saved myself $300 on the Crispis I just bought. However, just spent 2 days in them on Mt Thomas and they are a miracle, so I guess I'll just wear them out and try a pair of Lastrites for my Last Rites, given I'm 62.
    @Huntfisheat Love my Crispi's ,they are amazing how they mold to your foot out of the box & we own several pairs. Lastrites put through the old school walk in a river & then worn till dry are the same, but heavier.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @Tahr As others have said most likely they were boots by the very under rated ,Lastrite Footwear out of Whangarei (although they have moved several times), they use to be the only boot supplier for Pilkington Glass here & in Oz & supplied Rotorua Forrestry back in the heydays of the 70's -80's & used that steady work to support the hunting/tramping boot making side .

I have always believed in supporting GOOD local business's & have worn them for over 40 years as l have wide size 12 ,plates of meat ,that back when l used to compete in Martial Arts l managed to break & stress fracture bones in both my feet & they will not tolerate Euro Trash Girly Man "wide" sizing, particularly with steep country climbing like we do of a lot of while hunting down here in the Alps . After trying all the usual makes l have settled on Crispi's for the last few years ,but happened to mention too the missus l should try another pair of the Lastrites.

So as a complete surprise for the 60th burfday l just had, my Daughters & Missus arranged for 2 pairs Lastrite Boots as presents, (after my sneaky bitch of a missus tricked me into thinking she needed to measure up my feet for a pair of socks she was going to knit me) ,as l still wear on the Farm a 14 yr old pair of their Lastrite Logger boots on their 4th resole ,l wear them while l am chain sawing ie dropping trees,clearing fence lines & loading the truck up with firewood & also daily while l am doing the rounds on the Farm motor bike .

My Farm Boot the 14 yr old Lastrite Loggers, on 4th resole & 200th bloody laces. IMO piss all over the likes of Red Wing etc

Attachment 191315

60th Burfday presents pairs

Hunters

Attachment 191316

Hunters Commando Screwed Soles

Attachment 191317

Farm Safety Boot

Attachment 191318

Here is a link to their site ,boots are custom made to your foot ,they match my Crispi boots for comfort with my wide feet ,l have mentioned /recommended them several times on here over the years especially for anyone with wide feet that needs a proper fit & support a world class Kiwi Business .

https://lastrite.co.nz/
    How water proof are the hunters when walking & working in wet grass & the rain all day that's what makes the $600 boots worth it to me having dry feet everyday as I don't where gumboots at work

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    How water proof are the hunters when walking & working in wet grass & the rain all day that's what makes the $600 boots worth it to me having dry feet everyday as I don't where gumboots at work
    @hunt08 As waterproof as any other natural Leather Boot & l treat them the same as every other of the top tier brands & treat them with a good quality Scotchguard or Silicone type,same as you should with the others before going into the field ,the torture test l put them through in PNG is a far worse water proof test than any where ,95-100% hunidity ,rain measured in feet & days of it trekking through saturated rain forest with run off & creeks flowing off the mountains at every turn.

Our PNG commute to work every day ,we had to camp on the high side in case of Monsoon flash floods.

Name:  RED Tojo Sub Sml.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  80.8 KB

Here is a link to their care sheet

https://lastrite.co.nz/product-care

Those lastwrite boots look intriguing might just have to save my pennies, pricings good too.
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Yeah, I think I’ll order a pair. I’ve been wearing my bestard hi tops for the last month milling, and now the rand and front lip of the sole is coming away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @MSL & @Happy Jack ; Here this may interest you ,this is a video of them making boots & it features a pair of Loggers being made ,showing the double & triple stitch etc throughout & the long process of fitting the soles etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2eYjAzVDZo

Wow, this is very impressive. I wish I had made the same hunting boots

Quote Originally Posted by deborali View Post
    Wow, this is very impressive. I wish I had made the same hunting boots
    Wow, this is very impressive. I wish I had made the same hunting boots. I would even walk down the street in them because they are so cool, and I am sure that such boots will never go bad in my life. I think I've seen something similar on forstepstyle, but it seems that custom-made hunting boots still look cooler and better. Although, I will still look for similar things on other sites, and I hope I will find them. Thank you so much for sharing this video. It really impressed me. Good luck to you, my man!

Hi @deborali, just had a look at your website (certainly didn't click on your embedded link!) and saw nothing even close to hunting boots on your website. To be honest, I'm just not sure too many people on this forum will be into Air Jordans and Yeezy Boosts. They don't seem practical for this sort of past time.

I'm a bit of a cynical bastard, so as soon as I see a website that's says 'shop with confidence', I look for a physical address, or some sort of company information. Not seeing anything like that really peaks my cynicism.

I have been wrong before, so if I have you wrong, welcome to the forum. I think the general etiquette is to do a bit of an introduction. Keen to hear your of interest in hunting, outside of hunting for website traffic...
    bunji likes this.

Anyway, back to my original question... has anyone owned a pair of these?
    https://earthwalk.co.nz/collections/...40086151790781

Keep seeing them advertised on AgTrader, and they seem pretty reasonably priced...
    bunji likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    Anyway, back to my original question... has anyone owned a pair of these?
    https://earthwalk.co.nz/collections/...40086151790781

Keep seeing them advertised on AgTrader, and they seem pretty reasonably priced...
    I looked at them years ago, but was put off by them being made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I looked at them years ago, but was put off by them being made in China.

https://www.bayleys.co.nz/5517196 on
    I got the slip on ones a few years ago. Didn't last very well.

Good to know, thank you @Brian!

(I can see we have similar taste in property!)
    bunji likes this.