Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Zpacks 55ltr arc

Im just trying lighten the load a bit when im not carrying meat , thats all .

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by joelhenton View Post
    Thanks Moa Hunter,

Yes I'm young and fit, a lot more than most, but more importantly I'm sensible ha ha. I'll keep choosing my knees and back over being a hero

Regards,
    Joel
    Suppose you’re against hobnail boots aswell.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Have used the HyperLite Mountain Gear Southwest 3400 on a few trips, like it so far. Light, dyneema is tough, basic rolltop sack with external pouches and hip belt pockets. Worth a look.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    Im just trying lighten the load a bit when im not carrying meat , thats all .
    @wayno, out of interest how much does your current pack weigh ??

The belt carry system works way more comfortable than making them into a pack I'm sure it will work well on reds too.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Suppose you’re against hobnail boots aswell.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi MSL,
    Ha ha I'm still running around in Bullers, but near the end of the stash and will need to look for a suitable alternative.
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    The belt carry system works way more comfortable than making them into a pack I'm sure it will work well on reds too.

Does anyone know of anywhere you can buy carry belts like these?

We use old car seatbelts which work okay, but a mate purchased some which work just a bit better - easier to set-up and a little more comfortable. The guy who was making them isn't any longer....

Might be a good side-gig for someone more industrious than me :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maccanz View Post

We use old car seatbelts which work okay, but a mate purchased some which work just a bit better - easier to set-up and a little more comfortable. The guy who was making them isn't any longer....

Forbes and Co in Hastings will make these for you
    https://www.forbesco.co.nz/
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Banned

There are second hand packs for sale on TM that can be used for a carry harness - shoulder straps and waist belt. I bought a Macpac Endeavour for six bucks for that purpose

When I started looking into lighter packs the Gossimer, Hyperlite & Zpack keep popping up in the top 10 light pack reviews but it’s some what hard to decide which one without handling them.

I’m still undecided whether to get a Gossimer Gorilla or a Hyperlite 4400

I know @dale bought one into the country but he’s yet to do a gear review

In the meantime my main pack I use for trips away is a Osprey Aether which is a greater step up than my Tatonka I was using.

Getting a lighter pack is a great idea but you also need to look at everything else you take and see what you can change to make it lighter or more compact

As for carrying animals... yeah.... nah... I don’t need to aggravate my numerous injuries so I prefer to bone out and put the meat into my Huntech meat bag so I don’t get blood on everything in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    When I started looking into lighter packs the Gossimer, Hyperlite & Zpack keep popping up in the top 10 light pack reviews but it’s some what hard to decide which one without handling them.

I’m still undecided whether to get a Gossimer Gorilla or a Hyperlite 4400

I know @dale bought one into the country but he’s yet to do a gear review

In the meantime my main pack I use for trips away is a Osprey Aether which is a greater step up than my Tatonka I was using.

Getting a lighter pack is a great idea but you also need to look at everything else you take and see what you can change to make it lighter or more compact

As for carrying animals... yeah.... nah... I don’t need to aggravate my numerous injuries so I prefer to bone out and put the meat into my Huntech meat bag so I don’t get blood on everything in my pack.
    By all accounts the hyperlite southwest4400 I got appears tough with the harness system similar to the cactus hector. I’m yet to do a trip with it but will do shortly and put a post up.

Hi @Seventenths,

I own, have used, and seen a lot of the ultralight weight gear made in the US while hiking a number of the world's iconic long trails. All the brands you mentioned feature heavily on these trails. It's also a large proportion of those manufacturers intended market. Having hiked the US Rockies I would say that the North American wilderness isn't as tough on gear as the NZ bush is. If you're thinking about a lighter pack than the typical NZ made canvas Cactus pack or Macpac (which are usually between 2.5-3kg), you could also consider one of Ospreys lighter weight hiking packs because their warranty from what I've seen is second to none (at least in the US). You break something and they'll repair it or replace it, doesn't matter if you dropped your pack in the campfire. And the already mentioned Exped Lightening or Thunder models might be worth considering.

But like you mentioned, the combination of your big 3 (sleeping bag, backpack and shelter) is where you can save plenty of weight, along with taking only the minimum required to be safe and comfortable. Consider a quilt over a traditional sleeping bag and you could easily save half a kg.

Joel
    Last edited by joelhenton; 07-01-2021 at 07:22 PM.
    Seventenths and Moa Hunter like this.

This is just a builders belt from Bunnings.

Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    This is just a builders belt from Bunnings.

I made one from an old car safety belt.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

I've been using a Gossamer Gear Maraposa for four years now. I was surprised how lightweight it was and I didn't expect it to last long at all but I've been pleasantly surprised as to its durability. It's 60 litre capacity and I can carry enough for seven days camping in the hills. Very comfortable with heavy loads.
    I've just bought another one for my wife and I'll buy another for myself when this one wears out.

Disadvantages are:
    The material isn't waterproof in the slightest.
    It gets very smelly after a few trips as it has an internal frame and the back of the pack is hard against your back.