Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 410 AMMO

410 AMMO

whats are good size shot to start a young fella on ? looking at buying a yildiz 410 for my 8yr
    2 1/2 or 3? see its about $200 a slab of eley at h&f will see what farmlands can get

ok here goes...... the wee .410 is much more sensitive to shot sizes than other guages...none of mine have shot #5s worth a damn. the 3" shells have 1/2 as much pellets again as the 2 1/2" its half oz versus 3/4 oz #4 and #6 are both worth a crack.the winchester loadings are ALWAYS good. be aware there are brands of 2 1/2" out there that have LESS THAN 1/2oz of shot in them so are pretty anemic.
    pattern what ever you get...nothing more off putting for young fella than firing heaps of shots and hitting stuff all.
    weve taken everything up to and including wallabies and canada geese with the wee gun over the years.
    Maca49 likes this.

psssst its the rio that has smallest quantity of shot....wink wink
    berg243 likes this.

Buy a couple of boxes and pattern them. Winchester is definitely the best as far as killing goes, number 6 shot gives you a reasonbly dense pattern for a 410.

If you chose a 410 because its lighter and easier for a kid to swing the magnums will prove an unpleasant suprise recoil wise in my experience.

Yes good point, the 3inch shells out of our wee single shot rossi knocks the young fella around.

Thanks guys, yeah don't want to sour him first time out. Remember dad got me a 20ga when i was about ten. shot a wounded dad on the water put me on my arse never forget the old man and his mate laughing there heads off. Then the old man had a shot and goes to his mate shit its got a boot, boots more then my gun(12ga)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Thanks guys, yeah don't want to sour him first time out. Remember dad got me a 20ga when i was about ten. shot a wounded dad on the water put me on my arse never forget the old man and his mate laughing there heads off. Then the old man had a shot and goes to his mate shit its got a boot, boots more then my gun(12ga)
    Did you put the Dad out of its misery? Did you know who's dad it was?
    bigbear likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

yep the ducklings dad
    Maca49 likes this.

Had a look at couple guns in the weekend, one had a hammer and it was freakin hard to cock and even to break open. The other was one of those yildiz which the boy found easier to shoulder. I was hoping a yildiz would come up second hand but now with sending guns just about easier to buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    whats are good size shot to start a young fella on ? looking at buying a yildiz 410 for my 8yr
    2 1/2 or 3? see its about $200 a slab of eley at h&f will see what farmlands can get
    You could just use a 12g and slip in either a 410 or 20g chamber adapter? They work find for bird or buck shot. Slugs are a waist of time though and are too inaccurate to use effectively.

we found the winchester 1 1/2" in #4 shot would pattern BETTER than a 3" load of #6s when you start loading for the wee gun you find most wads are for 1/2oz of shot which may explain why....its vital to pattern a .410.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    You could just use a 12g and slip in either a 410 or 20g chamber adapter? They work find for bird or buck shot. Slugs are a waist of time though and are too inaccurate to use effectively.
    Please explain how a 410 or 20g chamber adaptor in a 12g would have any control of the wad and shot to give any pattern. Once the charge has left the adaptor all would be lost. Have always wondered what the achievement would be using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    we found the winchester 1 1/2" in #4 shot would pattern BETTER than a 3" load of #6s when you start loading for the wee gun you find most wads are for 1/2oz of shot which may explain why....its vital to pattern a .410.....
    Wads? When i reload 410 I use a pinex tile wad on the powder pour the shot on top then crimp they seem to pattern fine with 6 and 7s
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Please explain how a 410 or 20g chamber adaptor in a 12g would have any control of the wad and shot to give any pattern. Once the charge has left the adaptor all would be lost. Have always wondered what the achievement would be using them.
    I’ve got no expert knowledge of how it works but it does the job
    I shoot multigauge Skeet with my Blaser F3 and a Briley sub gauge set ( the short ones not the full length )
    If you point it in the right place the clay is destroyed.
    I had to play with the Chokes to get it really working well though .
    The 410 needs 1/2 choke and the 28 gauge light moderfied , the 20 and 12 are Skeet Chokes
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA