Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Another Blank, where have they gone...

Have this week off work to some serious duck hunting, however so far the only thing thats serious is my lack of ammo use.

Alarm set for sparrows fart this morning with a plan to head off to some wetlands at the top of a local lake. Theory was catch the birds coming back from a nightfeed to rest up in the wetlands or for many heading back to the big open water of the lake.

Got there and threw out 5 decoys into a small pool just off from all the main water, it looked fairly shallow in the dark..

Still pitch black but gave some quacks and got some in return so all looked positive. First bit of light came and all went quiet, nothing in the air either.

By 8.30 am at last 6 mallards not too high way over to my right. Called and called not even an answer, only one place they intended to go and that was the lake. Over cast weather and started to drizzle but no wind or breeze. By 9.30am went for a wander up the path to look over all the surrounding water.

Sweet FA there , all I could see for miles around were 2 swans in the main water area.

By 10 decided to pack up as the wind didnt look like it was going to do anything. Next issue was the little patch of water was bloody deep. All good using a long branch when I took a step too far and dropped another foot. Exited with the decoy and waders full of water. All for bugger all ducks seen and no shots fired.

Still god loves a tryer and one day I will shoot a shit load of ducks, please god !.

Name:  IMG_0958.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  94.4 KBName:  IMG_0959.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  95.6 KBName:  IMG_0960.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  93.8 KB

If I'm not mistaken that looks very much like southhead?

damn mate thats unfortunate for you!

Decoys look good John (?).

Cheers mate,

Avery pro grades, hen as bought. Drake has had a partial paint job. Most of my decoys i have painted due to the totally shit Avery paint jobs. If the moulds didnt look so good no one would buy the things, still old problem which the company must know about and should have sorted. To be fair all look better once out of the American super bright colours anyway.

Courtesy of Mr Stennings painting article.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Shit thats sucks does'nt look a bad little spot, Maybe you would benefit from a group shoot with some other forum members
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Not a bad idea Philipo, most locals will have an idea where it is.

Tyke I think you need to hunt round for areas the ducks are using ,look for evidence that ducks have been there (feathers etc)
    They may well be going in not far away but if they come in low you may not see them.