Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Birds are coming Back

I wouldn't keep a dog that didn't back. The highest form of the art is how a brace of dogs work together

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    ok you got me there you obviously operate in a plane far above mine.
    im just happy the dog pointed held till i released him to flush and the finer points never really came in cos i hunted mostly alone.
    but that the beauty of our sport each to his own and i should have said ''backing up each other''
    still it was fuckin pretty to watch technicle perfection or not.

as oposed to a sooner back than hunt??
    It was pretty to watch, but a dog finding and holding a point should be a given if it's worth feeding, the little extras like a natural or trained "back" and steady to flush and shot just shows an element of accepted good dog work and manners.
    Hunting alone with the one dog is great but hunting with a mate and seeing dogs work together or in turns is awesome too.
    Hunting two dogs together alone will mean they often end up working different lines or beats, when the two cross over due to one who has found a bird and is on point the ability to back really comes into it's own.

Interesting thing is when they are both on point and "released" the bitch will generally always "initiate a "pincer movement" ie race round and come in from the other side.

Its my mistake to allow them flush the bird rather than walk up on it myself.
    I have a video of them on an old scent (Ghost bird rather than Ghost chips) where you can see what I mean.

Would you like me to upload?
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

the bitch will generally always "initiate a "pincer movement" ie race round and come in from the other side.
    is that a natural ability to cut off a bird sneaking away
    It was pretty to watch, but a dog finding and holding a point should be a given if it's worth feeding, the little extras like a natural or trained "back" and steady to flush and shot just shows an element of accepted good dog work and manners.
    id put these ahead of backing and as probably more than little extras and yes i see its all part of whats good manners when more than one dog is present.