Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Chukar in the CSI region

Chukar in the CSI region

Thinking about coming down to have a crack at this species this season.
    Is there anyone on the Forum who has hunted them. Any advise would be appreciated.
    I would be bringing along with my couch potato pointer for the walk too.
    Cheers in advance
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

not me mikee but i,d love a crack at them to at some stage

I have done a bit , and will be going this season . I get invited as the stations are through a good friend . He would cut my nuts off and feed them to his dogs even if I was to let slip where . The good bird numbers as I'm aware are on a few select stations , that cove a vast area , so a foot in is not that easy unfortunately . I'm not sure or aware if there is hunting on public lands , but doc may no ,as some of the high country lease stuff has been going back into doc hands . Poison gives them a hard time ,so don't no how they would hold in on doc land . In saying that tekapo gets a hammering from areal poisons on privite anyway . Sorry I can't help out further ,but I prefer my nuts stay where they are supposed to be. Sorry to sound negative but I tried for years to no avail . Then one day caught up with a old friend and bingo I'm in like a robbers dog ! We are still learning about them ourselves and they are not all that easy to get onto sometimes , and even when we have plenty of fire power in the dog department they can disappear into the rocks and very thin cover ? . They would rather run than fly some times , and the biggest bugger is fog ! The hills get clagged in thick with it down there for days on end , impossible to hunt ,and they say the birds will not flush at all !
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thanks for that Munsey. I have asked F&G CSI for information. Will be interested in what they come back with.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Thanks for that Munsey. I have asked F&G CSI for information. Will be interested in what they come back with.
    Good luck mikee . I should have said too . You have to get a special permit from f&g ,which you fill out a survey after the season ends . Like hours hunted per bird and stuff like that . From memory I think it's like 11 hrs per bird . It's not easy
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    Mikee, I know where there are a few. I have never hunted them myself but my old GSP locked up on quite a few when hunting Thar with me. I am keen to shoot some one day. So see how ya go with F&G and if they are no help, you can carry me up to my spot
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Mikee, I know where there are a few. I have never hunted them myself but my old GSP locked up on quite a few when hunting Thar with me. I am keen to shoot some one day. So see how ya go with F&G and if they are no help, you can carry me up to my spot
    No Worries, Might have to chase up my taxi driver of last week. Mustering fish with the Pilot in a 500 was an unexpected and highly recommended experience on my flight back in to Westport from a seiner job

R93
    No Worries, Might have to chase up my taxi driver of last week. Mustering fish with the Pilot in a 500 was an unexpected experience on my flight back in to Westport
    Tuna Mikee? Bit late for them I would have thought??? Been there and done that. Never again tho, unless its for a kiwi boat. I almost bought it a few times miles from anywhere. Had my first power failure in a 500 chasing tuna as well.

Tuna Mikee? Bit late for them I would have thought??? Been there and done that. Never again tho, unless its for a kiwi boat. I almost bought it a few times miles from anywhere. Had my first power failure in a 500 chasing tuna as well.
    Kiwi boat, I have worked for a company who does there electronic repairs for them for a long time. Chopper is well serviced but even then eh. Way better than my first flight off an American one in an R22 a couple of years ago. I have some good video but too big to post here. Tuna are still here and W temp is still up. been a good season for them.
    When you are back over this way you should come up and shoot with us on a Sunday, I could do with a good coach

R93
    Kiwi boat, I have worked for a company who does there electronic repairs for them for a long time. Chopper is well serviced but even then eh. Way better than my first flight off an American one in an R22 a couple of years ago. I have some good video but too big to post here. Tuna are still here and W temp is still up. been a good season for them.
    When you are back over this way you should come up and shoot with us on a Sunday, I could do with a good coach

Cool. If the water temp is still good for tuna Id say thats why other things are a bit late.
    You would have better coaches in your group, are they Nelson club members? I would be keen to come up and have a blat with you? A friend of mine has built her own skeet field on her section up there. She has got a bit crook and I plan to come up and see her in June. We should get out then and chase some quail maybe?

Cool. If the water temp is still good for tuna Id say thats why other things are a bit late.
    You would have better coaches in your group, are they Nelson club members? I would be keen to come up and have a blat with you? A friend of mine has built her own skeet field on her section up there. She has got a bit crook and I plan to come up and see her in June. We should get out then and chase some quail maybe?
    Keep in touch, 9th June is the date for our monthly shoot, you would be most welcome to shoot as my guest. We only have a few members (14 I think) some you will know possibly. 6 traps and shoot 75-100 once a month. Will have to do a recce for the quail as I have not had much luck since I got back into shotgunning.

Keep in touch, 9th June is the date for our monthly shoot, you would be most welcome to shoot as my guest. We only have a few members (14 I think) some you will know possibly. 6 traps and shoot 75-100 once a month. Will have to do a recce for the quail as I have not had much luck since I got back into shotgunning.
    oops,June 9 is my dads 70th so wont be there but we will arrange a shoot just for you if you like when ever you make it here, I have keys to the range.

R93
    Sounds shit Hot!! It might be before the 9th as I have to fly back here on the 12th. I wanna catch up with that Pirate sneeze as he needs revision on butter etiquette I will work on the quail. You got a flea taxi eh?
    Last edited by R93; 21-04-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Sounds shit Hot!! It might be before the 9th as I have to fly back here on the 12th. I wanna catch up with that Pirate sneeze as he needs revision on butter etiquette I will work on the quail. You got a flea taxi eh?
    Roger that flea taxi's are both on the couch as I type. I am sure we can arrange a clay shoot to suit.

Ejected
    Heaps of the Quails around, but those chukar thing's, they are a bit rarer.