Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: chukar partridge experiance

chukar partridge experiance

I have never hunted these little guys and they look so cool -who has had experience with these birds and what dogs were you using .I believe they love flying down hill when located ? Do tell as we dont get them here in the North

The chukar partridge (Alectoris chukar) - YouTube

Chukar speaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xqFh...eature=related
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

HHmmmmm, I see them when Tahr hunting, but never enough to make me want to try and hunt them. They are way cool tho!!
    Name:  IMG_7083 [800x600].JPG
Views: 3113
Size:  132.1 KBName:  IMG_7089 [800x600].JPG
Views: 2347
Size:  90.8 KB
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Hamstring form his posts looks like the man with his finger on the pulse . I've done a few hunts but would be fair to say have not mastered them yet. They do flush down hill but not always and like to run and hide and in some cases dissapear . As far as dogs go I'm bias but any dog with g and p for initials will do . I personally think pointers are the go as when flushed you normally won't get another crack at them . And in the steep country they can get out of range real fast . So a pointer gives you a better chance to get in close . Downside your pointer needs to be good at retrieving as they are invisible in the hillside backdrop. I have seen labs punch well above there weight . My mate uses cockers as well. Also the dogs need good tuff paws as the rocky shale is murder on there pads . The birds weve flushed tend to be in the dry sunny faces , but not too far away from water as they need water . The strike rate tends to be 1 bird for a big day on the hill . But you can do better 3 or 4 birds . I did know of a Shepard and his gsp who used to get his limit( 10) most Sunday's but that's not the norm .

a mate of a friend who is a police k9 handler-real fit! says you don't bother unless your in tip top condition--mmm i aint

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    a mate of a friend who is a police k9 handler-real fit! says you don't bother unless your in tip top condition--mmm i aint
    Depends on the station you hunt . You would be surprised how easy the country can be , not all steep. The other thing to look out for is fog they won't fly at all they are renowned for that trate . We always hunt the hill in 3 or 4s , so the fitest at the top and not so at the bottom . Works ok

that's good advice Munsey. I would like a trip next season down south to hunt -I love being big open land where a dog can stretch a leg

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    HHmmmmm, I see them when Tahr hunting, but never enough to make me want to try and hunt them. They are way cool tho!!
    Attachment 2528Attachment 2529
    thanks for posting pics Bulltahr!

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

chukar partridge experiance

I know a spot with HEAPS of them. According to fish and game they are miles north of where they should be

LOL Spanners!

Spanners That's good to hear . They used to be in good numbers up the awartere valley and rainbow and inland kaikouras . Seen them Cham shooting up in the porters pass as well , was a good flush as well .

The Guide and other areas are FULL of them - Spose you would call that Inland, Sth Kaikoras
    There is ALOT of wild cats around from the old days releases on Molesworth
    Have smoked some up there that are only just liftable up for a photo with 1 arm - obviously well fed
    Never seen them up the Rainbow

do the same areas hold Californian quail

The quail seem to live in the warm lower country in the briars, very hard on dogs especially shot hairs. Was talking to a station owner last year about quails he was telling me he's seen them frozen solid on the tracks in the winter , they must get caught out and snuff it . There would be a lot more if they didn't have to poison the shit out of the places for rabbits.

Yeah heaps of quail on valley floors esp wider riverbeds

Who here reckons they could trap a few for me?