Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Crossing show lines

you to are in the ngati purist
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

I've got so much to reply to that... all of it a mixture of rant and drivel No one cares. Hows your bitch?

I had an email from the breeder updating me on vets jabs and alike and all going well -6 months we will see her here and breed the first litter when she is around 2 years old -she is currently 7 months from memory.The first litter will be to John Pilchers dog which Woody was the sire -looking forward to it for sure --how about your new pup?

All good so far, waiting for rabies titre test at 6 months. Phil Ruge speaks highly of John Pilchers Woody son, reckons he is a machine

Yeah, any pointer ever bred, even three legged ones will be considered "hard going" in comparison to the average Lab for instance... stay with me... unfair comparison I know... pointers are a hard running breed this includes the slowest to the fastest... as a breed compared to other breeds... To ascertain if you have a hard going dog of your chosen breed at some point it is imperative to run them against and with another dog of known quantity to know if it really is going as hard as you think, finding as fast as you think, etc. This was one of Leon's golden rules. He used the analogy that every racehorse looks fast galloping on it's own... all of these horses look fast galloping on their own... all of them are a class above the norm... one of them is possibly the greatest thoroughbred of modern day history, but you only know it because the others are there. If the all galloped individually they would all look like extremely fast horses.... one is supremely faster than the others... but only by comparison.

I thought hunters with working lines were the purists?

Thing is Ruff, there are some real plodders out there. Calling her hard going was in comparison to our trials stuff. And it is unwise to compare pointers to pointers in NZ, you have to compare NZ pointers to NZ setters as the setters here are of a better quality in my opinion. As you say, they all look great by themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    I thought hunters with working lines were the purists?
    Long may it last

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Thing is Ruff, there are some real plodders out there. Calling her hard going was in comparison to our trials stuff. And it is unwise to compare pointers to pointers in NZ, you have to compare NZ pointers to NZ setters as the setters here are of a better quality in my opinion. As you say, they all look great by themselves
    Yeah I get that...

we have been very lucky over the years with the likes of Leon , Noel, Frank tommy and Ian Hendren all who have imported excellent working animals in NZ and given many the opportunity to have excellent dogs .
    Hopefully with Gerald Devine young – GORTINREAGH bitch which is coming we can increase again the amount of good Setters in NZ .

link for anybody that cares to look at Gerald Devines line of Dogs

Gerald Devine – GORTINREAGH « The English Setter Club of Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    we have been very lucky over the years with the likes of Leon , Noel, Frank tommy and Ian Hendren all who have imported excellent working animals in NZ and given many the opportunity to have excellent dogs .
    Hopefully with Gerald Devine young – GORTINREAGH bitch which is coming we can increase again the amount of good Setters in NZ .

link for anybody that cares to look at Gerald Devines line of Dogs

Gerald Devine – GORTINREAGH « The English Setter Club of Ireland

FTCH Wingfield Lace (Sharnberry Quin X Wingfield Jemima) is the setter Leon had with show blood in it. If I were to do a mating between my dog and the ponsonby bitch mentioned earlier, the pups would end up being the same mix of working/show as Lace

Is that bitch from Ponsonby seen field action Z , maybe you might consider becoming a fine and elegant Setter man like myself

I have no problem owning a setter, but I do have 1 problem with running them. I have hunted up north with you, F-T and Skid who all own setters, both Skid n F-T ran 2 dogs a day because of thier long coats causing the dog to over heat, I didnt have to with my pointer..

I had the ponsonby bitch for 2 seasons and she saw lots of field time, shes a natural retriever and she points

Spudattack, next time Im driving thru Whangas heading up home Ill have to stop in and smoke some of your good stuff, fucked if I know what your on about but im in