Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Crossing show lines

I cannot comment on the trialers of today as I really don't know many very personally but yes I agree first and foremost a dog ''must" be able to hunt .
    The guys I trialed with when I last trialed all hunted to my knowledge and I hunted plenty of pheasants with a few of them
    As far as pigeon trials go some dislike them I enjoy them and see them as a place to show the skill and manners of an animal - some what circus like to a degree but most certainly few dogs excell and the average dog and handler little to no hope .

I always believe the proofs in the pudding and although I dont shoot alot nowdays I still hunt my dog full on !
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Mortensons words not mine. I do, however disagree that the trialling line is the shooting line, especially in pointers, as Uplander said.

I'm with Ruff, the day the focus becomes titles and silverware, we're buggered. Our P&S system is a flawed enough yard stick as it is
    Please explain flawed ?All Contests are about silverware

The flaws in our testing system have been thrashed to death, I'm sure you have heard it all before. Still, it's all we have. I'm all for it, as long as people can see it for what it is

Well of course there is flaws... the difference, simply, between a scenario where it is you and your dog and when it is you, two guns, a judge, a steward and gallery must have an effect.... Trials are a wonderful judging standard, but should never be considered the be all and end all... there are many many ways to judge and astertsain a dogs ability and the thinking man who wants a better dog (NOT a better trialling dog) takes all things into consideration as he or she makes decisions on how they wish to take the breeds forward. Trials are a wonderul benchmark, but they are not the ONLY one... We have new person here posting on the forum using the name "Hales Smut"... Hales Smut was the most influential dog on the modern spaniel breed, in my opinion, He may have won a trial, possibly not, but he certainly never titled, and yet he lives in legend as one of the most significant dogs in history.... I have Brick of Ballyblack so I understand this well... Trials are an indicator, they ARE NOT the only scale by which any thinking dog person will ever judge a great dog.

Exactly !!!Its just about all we have given we don't have moor's and prairies full of game .I have never been one to complain about a fun time and an opportunity to see great running and pointing by good dogs --it aint easy other wise we would all be winning .
    The live game trials are where its at but as I said above -no facilities to successfully run them consistently with game.
    Will I compete against you at some time Pointer ???

No doubt El B, but not for a while, I don't have anything worth running at present

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Exactly !!!Its just about all we have given we don't have moor's and prairies full of game .I have never been one to complain about a fun time and an opportunity to see great running and pointing by good dogs --it aint easy other wise we would all be winning .
    The live game trials are where its at but as I said above -no facilities to successfully run them consistently with game.
    Will I compete against you at some time Pointer ???
    Hunting or trialling.... I got grounds if you both want to come.... and if you trust me me to judge...

You mean just for me and Pointer.Id enjoy a catch up in bid season to run and or shoot over each others dogs

If the match is based apon finds not polish, sure

the lot , a finished dog.Id rather catch up for sheer dogging pleasure and leave contests to live game trials under pressure of performance and polish

I do think that Ruff misunderstood. I think you initial comment meant compete against me in a trial, and yes that will have to wait until the next dog. If you meant a match, then if the match is based on polish and manners it would be waste of time for me to turn up, a triallists dog would always beat the hunters dog every time. However, if Ruff was to propose a match in which a way that the number of finds and shootable birds presented for the gun was the criteria, then yeah, I'd give it a go. Be a good day out. Getting to shoot Ruffs birds will always be a good day out .

*edit* what does this have to do with show dogs?
    Last edited by Pointer; 05-11-2012 at 10:53 PM.

hell yes id hunt his birds too but in saying that what would a one off contest achieve ?nothing either way
    Last edited by el borracho; 05-11-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Well, I'm not stupid enough to invite you two bastards to shoot my birds, but you do have to make up your minds... LOL

Let's not just wank on in a forum environment.... and I think we have here a perfect match... a trial dog and a hunting dog... kind of...

I am gonna piss them both off now... cause the trial dog isn't going to hunt well, from what the handler says, and the hunting isn't going to have polish as the hunting fella says...

so from where i stand, neither of you have meet the standard because the standard requires a great hunting dog with polish... if neither of you have that you are blowing bulshit up everyone's arse.

So the question is, do either of you have a great hunting dog that can front up in a trial and show how good it is, do either of you have a trial dog that can front up and show how well it hunts, or are you both just pissing on our shoes and telling us it's raining????

my dog will hunt just fine,he is a hunting dog that trials also.do you have a pointing dog Ruff ?

If pointer shows up make sure you've got a set of binoculars handy