Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By jono7
  • 2 Post By Woody

Thread: Decoy set up

Decoy set up

Hi all
    I am wondering of any of you have advice on the string that you use to set out your decoys. Can it be light rope (green, black) or does it have to be mono-filiament to stop ducks seeing it? I normally jump shoot but this year have access to a spot where decoys will be used. All thoughts welcomed.
    Regards
    Ruger7mm

MB
    I'm going to re-tie mine today. I don't think it matters since duck ponds are usually pretty swampy. If using mono, make sure it's heavy. 100lb, preferably 200lb otherwise it tangles easily. Heavy mono doesn't knot well. Crimps are the way to go.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I use Texas rigs for lone decoys and then a string with carabenas to attach decoys tied to a bunny cord anchored at one end for motion

string can be a bastard if it decides to float.... a cotton type string like old school fishing handline works great. nylon heavier than 20lb works fine but really heavy stuff is ideal.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

two big loops on either end of string work well you poke loop through hole in weight then thread other end through and pull up tight, then thread end through decoy and drop now weighted end through that loop and pull up tight... some year we un do it all before packing away,havent bothered the last few times,just wrapped string around decoys them selves...storing the decoys inside big plastic drums has stopped alot of the tangle issues.a bungy ring cut from cartyre and tied onto weight would solve tangle for once n all but havent got around to that yet.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

H&F or the like sell decoy string for $20 a 500ft reel, enuf to do plenty. Doesn't seem too prone to tangles if everything is wound up in a tidy fashion, and a bit of car tyre inner tube attached near the weight can go round the decoy keel to stop it unwinding when transporting/storing.
    Ruger7mm and Micky Duck like this.

I use kuralon fishing line. Tie one end to weight and just above that, tie on a rubber ring slice from a car tyre inner tube. When putting decoys away just wrap the cord around the keel and then stretch the rubber over. Keeps everything tidy and no tangles.
    Ruger7mm and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I use kuralon fishing line. Tie one end to weight and just above that, tie on a rubber ring slice from a car tyre inner tube. When putting decoys away just wrap the cord around the keel and then stretch the rubber over. Keeps everything tidy and no tangles.
    Pretty much what I do. Except I use old 300 lb mono off the kontiki winch. crimp it on. Even used some home made lead sinkers so there is no rusting and marks left on the decoys out of season. Some of my decoys have a built in clip on the keel that the heavy mono fits perfectly so don't bother with the rubber on those.