Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Do you think i am really stupid ?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    parries pair up and stayed paired for the most part....if you shoot one,as SS has said,life is ended and the remaining bird will "live to love again",there must be the occasional divorce but it gets hushed up.
    I BELIEVE greys stay in their pairs
    Mallards however live by the four F mantra
    comparing KIWI mallards to American mallards is dumb...nest predation over there has snakes n coyotes to take into account compared to our mustilids and cats which they also have....
    there has been ooodles of research over the years about greylards...grey mallard crosses/crossing it appears to be contrary to what you would think...its actually grey drakes pairing with mallard hens that produce the most offspring...MAYBE because dad sticks around to help out...unlike the hen who is woed by the shiney green head who has his wicked way,often in a right royal gangbang session with his buddies then buggers off to find next hen,leaving hen with fertilized eggs and NO HELP at all.
    Ive seen mallard gangbanging mobs chase hen away from her brood (dont care if she has headache or not in mood) the ducklings were out in open paddock with no help at all and hawks got stuck in while Mum was trying to get away from drakes
    the absolute worst Ive seen was a road killed hen on grass verge outside our yard...DRAKES kept visiting for 3 days till ground was muddy all around her by now cold carcass.....I did nt actually see any necrophilia happen but hen was looking rather worse for wear as days progressed.
    Where did i make the comparison between NZ and Nth America ? All i did was put up a bit of information of what potentially could happen or BE HAPPENING. I clearly stated that i have not been able to find the sex ratio of NZ mallard ducks.

Both grey and mallard ducks are seasonally monogamous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Dunno what this thread is about just read title
    Yes upon reflection it is a silly title.. my bad.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    I have not been able to find any data on NZ but i was under the impression [rightly or wrongly ?] that the mallard drake hen ratio was 70 /30 in favour of drakes, due to predation of hens during the nesting season.

Here is a bit of info from Nth America where it talks about the hunter harvest for drakes is 2 or 3 times higher than for hens and yet drakes still out number hens.
    https://www.ducks.org/conservation/w...owl-sex-ratios

Jenn Sheppard who did her thesis on breeding ecology and productivity on mallard ducks in NZ dedicated her thesis to those who "go for green and stay within the limit" which infers to me that she sees hen harvest a limiting factor in mallard numbers ? One of her influential professors also said that "one of the simplest ways that people can manage waterfowl populations is refrain from harvesting females " again hen harvest is a limiting factor in waterfowl numbers ?
    hmmminfo on where???????/

mallards are seasonally monogamous....REALLY??????????? Isuggest you need to get out more and actually open your eyes..mallard drakes use the four F mantra

mallards are seasonally monogamous....REALLY??????????? Isuggest you need to get out more and actually open your eyes..mallard drakes use the four F mantra
    4 F's? I didn't know they had fingers?

find them,
    feel them,
    fornicate/f#%$ them
    and then forget them
    but yes,maybe little feeling going on,thought if made it 3 Fs someone would get confused......ho hum
    johnd and stagstalker like this.

A few posts back you were telling us that grey ducks mated for life, that was wrong .

Now you are arguing with scientists telling us that they dont know what they are saying ?
    Grey duck | New Zealand Birds Online
    read the first sentence under the headline "Breeding"
    Mallard | New Zealand Birds Online
    Read the second sentence under the headline "Breeding".

hmmminfo on where???????/
    Yes i again repeat the information is from Nth America and i again repeat the heavy predation on hens could be happening in NZ, i have not to date been able to find any info on sex ratios of mallards in NZ. Have you ?

NZ DOESNT have coyotes or snakes...so our predation WILL/HAS to be different.....
    NO I didnt say greys mated for life....I said they paired up and I believe they stayed paired up and DAD stuck around to help raise kids....

read the forth line in reguards to mallards...they mate with anything they can get on top of...argue with Murry Williams if you like....
    decoys in NZ have traditionally been sold 7-8 hens to 3-4 drakes so our decoy spread were hen heavy...to match what is seen...in USA they go drake heavy...

mallard drakes are as randy as a marine on shore leave,will mate with anything which is why you see so much variation around...they are like the travelling salesman who shows up all shiney and flash looking,has his wicked way and leaves hen with babies to deal with alone...a true solo mum

thats from one of three books
    keith drapers waterfowl tail
    bill Jamesons out for a duck
    or Murry Williams early waterfowl in NZ
    or a combination of all three.

NZ DOESNT have coyotes or snakes...so our predation WILL/HAS to be different.....
    NO I didnt say greys mated for life....I said they paired up and I believe they stayed paired up and DAD stuck around to help raise kids....
    It doesnt matter a rats arse to a mallard hen what it is eaten by is my guess...

Grey ducks, nah dad doesnt hang around as you said..

read the forth line in reguards to mallards...they mate with anything they can get on top of...argue with Murry Williams if you like....
    decoys in NZ have traditionally been sold 7-8 hens to 3-4 drakes so our decoy spread were hen heavy...to match what is seen...in USA they go drake heavy...
    I will stick with the science.

We have traditionally used more hens to match our grey duck and grey hybrid duck , NOT because we have an imbalance of more hens

YES
    sore head stoat likes this.