Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree4642Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

Game bird season all over here.Pukekos are still on the list I dealt with one today.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

[QUOTE]Paradise shelduck 7 May to 31 Jul 2016 20 Area A
    7 May to 25 Sep 2016 20 Area B
    Black swan 7 May to 31 Jul 2016 5 Area A
    we are spoilt except for pheasants and with canadas all the time which may sound great but i think are making them much harder to hunt and more inclined to and seek the peace and quiet in the wet areas in christchurch.t
    which ofcourse gets hunters moaned at for not con.trolling them but unless they start breeding a stupid strain which doesnt respond to year round pressure and wont settle where thier safe when its offered on a plate i dont see a immediate solution.
    you can guarentee the council didnt think of one in advance and ecans will be punitive short term or a balls up.
    Last edited by gsp follower; 23-07-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    gadgetman likes this.

Again, today I took the Turk for a walk for no apparent reason...the little dog got onto some scent which tracked through a fence onto a neighbouring vineyard...I take my fold up saw with me everytime we go out just in case I find a nice stick for stickmaking...at least we came home with a couple of sticks...the wind following the river bed on a couple of occasions was unbelievable...

Name:  ledabthorn257.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  294.2 KB
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

All these pictures are making me hungry as well as inspiring me to go for hunting on this weekend. Hope so that I would get some fresh flesh for myself too.
    Get firearms safety training course only from any NRA certified training school.

Went south of chch, for one last crack on the ducks . Great weekend , with plenty of wind on Saturday. Ducks didn't want to commit and my shooting was terrible . Sunday was cold as a witches tit with a steady breeze a smaller irrigation pond . We all shot well, dogs went well too . Nice to get some birds in the freezer . Big thanks to @gadgetman for the loan of your laydown blind . What beer? oh ahh Tea do you drink ?

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    gadgetman and gsp follower like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

had my 1st decent crack at a covey of quail yesterday.
    missed the main flush by bieng a couple of yards to far away but got shots at 2 stragglers
    less said the better
    hoping the parries will settle back in a favoured haunt so i can take advantage of the .extended west of stste hwy one season.
    EeeBees likes this.

Great day out considering getting to end of season. Some good dog work and a bit of luck had my limit for the day

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Nice one, awesome pup, Have you had her out on deer much?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    Nice one, awesome pup, Have you had her out on deer much?
    Yeah she's got me a couple, and lost me a couple. Certainly knows what they are and will indicate them, but she's more of a bird dog. Doesn't like sitting still and moving quietly, unless she's stalking a pheasant when she goes into stealthy stalk mode
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    had my 1st decent crack at a covey of quail yesterday.
    missed the main flush by bieng a couple of yards to far away but got shots at 2 stragglers
    less said the better
    hoping the parries will settle back in a favoured haunt so i can take advantage of the .extended west of stste hwy one season.
    @gsp follower, I was wah wah wahing about the coveys of quail prior to Opening Day and getting very excited about the forthcoming dog work etc but I have not been able to find one of them...maybe they knew about the weather...who knows...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    @gsp follower, I was wah wah wahing about the coveys of quail prior to Opening Day and getting very excited about the forthcoming dog work etc but I have not been able to find one of them...maybe they knew about the weather...who knows...
    since i dont have a pointer anymore a lot of the fun of quail has escaped me
    but in my travels ive discovered at leas one current feeding spot and 2 crossing points baCK TO ROOSTS.
    so any fine,ish afternoon i can pop up give the kuri a run saw some firewood and put the dog thru the inkweed and or wait for the coveys to return to the roosts.
    within a hour or so depending on the wheather you can set your watch by thier return times provided i dont over pressure them.

Sounds like she's got natural hunting instinct. I don't think Tyne will turn out to be much of a deer dog but she stalks any bird she sees.

Last weekend walked for hours and only saw 1 hen, today has these 2 in less than and hour, pretty happy

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Wildman and Kiwi-Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    Sounds like she's got natural hunting instinct. I don't think Tyne will turn out to be much of a deer dog but she stalks any bird she sees.
    You need to come up north for a pheasant hunt then....
    Wildman likes this.

Nice walk this afternoon with @hillclima