Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree4641Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

No luck tonight username. Took the mrs the kids and two labs too a pond cold frosty looking night.
    Bolt the hunterway lab x took 30 minutes too settle hes worse than the kids. Never saw a bird.

Thats a laugh Kotuku about the deadcrap
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

K95
    142_zps721801c0.mp4 Video by Nosler7mm08 | Photobucket

We did well for opening morning, shooting water I had never seen until we got there. Managed 24 out of there for the morning. Dog went really well.

Far from ideal when we turned up at 5:50am and had 40m to drag the decoys to the creek, finally got there at 6:40am!!!!! Absolute jungle bush. Then the willows hung out over the creek to far to shoot from under so we had to wade out and sit on stumps all morning. Had plenty of birds see us and flare off. The otherside of the creek is nice looking though haha
    Bonecrusher likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr-Bound View Post
    142_zps721801c0.mp4 Video by Nosler7mm08 | Photobucket

We did well for opening morning, shooting water I had never seen until we got there. Managed 24 out of there for the morning. Dog went really well.

Far from ideal when we turned up at 5:50am and had 40m to drag the decoys to the creek, finally got there at 6:40am!!!!! Absolute jungle bush. Then the willows hung out over the creek to far to shoot from under so we had to wade out and sit on stumps all morning. Had plenty of birds see us and flare off. The otherside of the creek is nice looking though haha
    My bogan mate you met near my brother in laws place a couple seasons ago shot the sat only and got his limit. So there must have been hundreds come in ha ha. You shoot local to home TB or head south?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

K95
    Yeah I saw his headlamp early in the morning when I dropped off a 410 to the boy on the that side of the river. We shot over the other side. The weather turned perfect on the Monday! Lots of wind.
    Just buggering about with the dog in the evenings now getting her steadier till I find a decent riverbed camp to hunt... Then I have to go get a chamois and get my 280 onto some tahr and then....and then...

R93
    Yeah I saw his headlamp early in the morning when I dropped off a 410 to the boy on the that side of the river. We shot over the other side. The weather turned perfect on the Monday! Lots of wind.
    Just buggering about with the dog in the evenings now getting her steadier till I find a decent riverbed camp to hunt... Then I have to go get a chamois and get my 280 onto some tahr and then....and then...
    I'm still keen to shoot some river beds when I am back out of our block. I will do a scout round on the drive back to hoki as well.

Just a quick report from the Manwatu. Opening weekend was fine warm and no wind. The ducks were real suspicious of the loud calling and spooked by shots from several kilometers away.
    however the team worked hard called well and some of them shot well too, as we ended up with a 5 man limit by 11am on the saturday and same conditions on sunday resulted in a 4 man limit by 1130am.
    this saturday we ventured out to the pond not knowing how it would go as the treetrimmer has been in cutting down the willows overhanging the fence arround the pond ready for a new fence to be put up.
    Same conditions for most of the morning with shots going off all over the place wind did get up a bit for a while. The ducks decoyed a bit better than last weekend with the young guns running hot i mostly sat and watched as they decked a lot of ducks with clean kills a ranges that I wouldn't have attemped. yep those A400 guns sure can shoot ducks dead.
    By 1030 we ran out of ducks and were stranded at 2 short of a 4 man limit of mallards plus a couple of spoonies as well.
    We spent the next couple of hours cleaning up willow branches for the farmer as a thankyou for the acess to a great spot

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I'm still keen to shoot some river beds when I am back out of our block. I will do a scout round on the drive back to hoki as well.
    Yep I'm keen whenever. There was a big camp on the wanganui that I saw from the top of the hill before you head round to lake ianthe. Look back downstream they might still be there.
    When are you guys going in for tahr? Can borrow spotting scope if you need it.

R93
    Yep I'm keen whenever. There was a big camp on the wanganui that I saw from the top of the hill before you head round to lake ianthe. Look back downstream they might still be there.
    When are you guys going in for tahr? Can borrow spotting scope if you need it.
    That's bloody good of you mate, but when you see how I treat my own gear you wouldn't be so keen....lol. Thanks a lot but I bought Leica 20-60 second hand but mint. It will do the trick but I would like to have a squizz thru your scope one day.
    I will have a scout round. I scout a few other spot as well.
    We go in on the 25th may. Should be out by the following Thursday.

Good vid TB and thanks for the update Goose
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Friday night nothing cept a wet arse...
    Sat morning sat on the pond for hours. Four parries landed over the hill so me and Midget put dogs on leads and go walkies..
    Bummed out by the time we walked up the hill they had wolked way over saw us and buggered off while out of range.
    Sat night at pond at home no ducks.

Sunday, day duck shooters penance cutting huge hunks of barberry out of the boundary hedge with chainsaw then to the dump
    then mowing lawns Sheeesh when can I go duck shooting please !!! he he .. Haven t been for nearly 22 hours ....

Sunday night I got these ... Big fat buggers ..

Name:  IMG_0281.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  308.9 KB

From a pond that is hideous for the dog he hates it weed and blackberry and shite everywhere
    but still reasonable retrieves and these are going into Phillipino Curry Duck for us at work this week .... Mmmmm

So a win right at the end ...
    Last edited by Happy; 13-05-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Here is some footage of the weekend's fun and games.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Bugger that for a joke. To quick for this old bugger. I have the reactions of an ocean liner doing a U-turn
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Didnt get out like planed, went and got this fella instead.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368431528.337178.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  34.6 KB
    Beau. Already looking forward to next season
    Dundee, Snuffit, SHOOTA and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Didnt get out like planed, went and got this fella instead.Attachment 9807
    Beau. Already looking forward to next season
    Way to go username
    CFD

Last weekend we had a slaughter so we went to my mates pond on Saturday morning for an easier shoot. We ended up with 12, the pond is tiny and we worked out that most shots were at about 4mtrs!!
    I used Gamebore steel trap loads in 28gr 7.5's. These worked a treat and I would happily use them more often for decoying birds that are in your face.
    Name:  P1120415.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  1.05 MB
    Gunzrrr likes this.