Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree4642Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    kotuku wood pidgeons aint gamebirds.
    yes they tasty yes they have feathers but no notty allowed to eatty.

BAD KOTUKU BAD,BAD KOTUKU
    ha fucking ha-about as much chance of me shootin one of those fat bastards as there is me extracting gold nuggets from cowshit.
    read the report -carcasses left in a camping area near moana-any local or kiwis would realise just how bloody easy it would be to chuck em in the lake or one of the rivers -bloody big eels right through there so a coupla pigeons would be dealt to quick smart.this reeks of hungry tourists lookin for a feed and being ignorant of regulations.
    ????hi powered airrifle used.maybe disturbed by someone so they shot through before gettin caught.
    cant imagine any locals being this fucking dumb
    Dundee and Scouser like this.

they aint that fuckin tasty anyway.
    but yes if your innocent then it must be ze germans

they aint that fuckin tasty anyway.
    but yes if your innocent then it must be ze germans
    I really cant imagine they would be at this time of year .certainly in the spring when theyre gutsing up large on miro berries(theres god knows how much of that round the edges of lake brunner)and theyre either that fat or pissed on fermented miro in the gut ,then yeah could understand someone yeilding to temptation -but this appears(being my operative word)to be all out of kilter .a -feed??looks like there'd be bugger all meat on either-in fact that last duckshooting outing i went on im sure i saw a kereru get blown backwards by a parrie fart!
    we all know what guts's parries are in a wet grassy paddock-even the hen i nailed wasnt that meaty.
    better still any of you blokes out there familiar with maori customs and food gathering-when did the ancestors traditionally harvest kereru and how did they process them.

Well what every they did to harvest and prepare them it can't have been that good because..........

They did not have the secret ingredient

They had not yet discovered the art of making a brick defiantly need one of those to cook one of them

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    when did the ancestors traditionally harvest kereru and how did they process them.
    Kotuku I don't know the answer to the when part of your question but fifty plus years ago my paternal grandmother (who was Ngai Tahu) showed me how to cover the feathers in a thick coat of clay and put the bird ( complete with gut full of Miro berries) into a bed of embers. When done you would break away the baked clay which would pull the feathers out of the bird and leave a succulent baked pigeon carcass. It was bone sucking good. In or around 1972 a young Private Rushy performed this feat of culinary expertise on a survival course on your fair southern isle and found himself on a charge when the DS found the evidence. Cost me two weeks confinement to barracks and the corresponding loss of wages. As I recall, it was worth it as I had savoured the tasty morsels while others at the time were suffering the pangs of hunger.
    EeeBees and Scouser like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Kotuku I don't know the answer to the when part of your question but fifty plus years ago my paternal grandmother (who was Ngai Tahu) showed me how to cover the feathers in a thick coat of clay and put the bird ( complete with gut full of Miro berries) into a bed of embers. When done you would break away the baked clay which would pull the feathers out of the bird and leave a succulent baked pigeon carcass. It was bone sucking good. In or around 1972 a young Private Rushy performed this feat of culinary expertise on a survival course on your fair southern isle and found himself on a charge when the DS found the evidence. Cost me two weeks confinement to barracks and the corresponding loss of wages. As I recall, it was worth it as I had savoured the tasty morsels while others at the time were suffering the pangs of hunger.
    Yes rushy -after a feed like that your farts would be real boomers in an ambush Id imagine!(had a mate who lived on rat pack bakebeans-he gave away two of our ambushes with farts that would strip the serratone of a bathroom wall.even the DS staff were gagging
    bloody good initiative that man showed -DS obviously lacking in the humour dept -whats new
    .the claybake method apparently was also used in UK by ancient gypsies who cooked hedgehogs in same manner.given what ive read about hedgehogs though id have to be bloody ravenous to even contemplate the option.
    EeeBees likes this.

lot of kereru in the waioeka gorge opanae camp area in 78/79

Name:  Dix.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  122.6 KB

Yesterday, inspite of his beautiful road in, he got onto a cock bird, who, after three months of harassment was not going to stay put for anything ... up out of the willows and across the river very fast ...
    Last edited by EeeBees; 12-08-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    hillclima and Wildman like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Yes rushy -after a feed like that your farts would be real boomers in an ambush Id imagine!(had a mate who lived on rat pack bakebeans-he gave away two of our ambushes with farts that would strip the serratone of a bathroom wall.even the DS staff were gagging
    bloody good initiative that man showed -DS obviously lacking in the humour dept -whats new
    .the claybake method apparently was also used in UK by ancient gypsies who cooked hedgehogs in same manner.given what ive read about hedgehogs though id have to be bloody ravenous to even contemplate the option.
    My great uncle told me that Tui was very nice to eat ... but if you ate more than one or two you would be sick on account of how rich the meat was ...

Apparently, hedgehog is said to be very similar to chicken ... dastardly little cretins ...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    My great uncle told me that Tui was very nice to eat ... but if you ate more than one or two you would be sick on account of how rich the meat was ...

Apparently, hedgehog is said to be very similar to chicken ... dastardly little cretins ...
    EeBees i may very well technicolour yawn after reading that urgg bloody hedghog.
    ive heard that gypsyies eat them????
    EeeBees likes this.

It's been a slow season for me for various reasons but today was great. The old dog still did a great job on the quail only to have my shooting to let him down. Still got one though.

And a bonus rooster...

Last edited by Wildman; 13-08-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    hillclima, Dundee, EeeBees and 4 others like this.

EeBees i may very well technicolour yawn after reading that urgg bloody hedghog.
    ive heard that gypsyies eat them????
    Yes, they roll them up in clay or mud and put the whole thing in the embers ... nom, nom, nom ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    It's been a slow season for me for various reasons but today was great. The old dog still did a great job on the quail only to have my shooting to let him down. Still got one though. And a bonus rooster...
    Good work!!

As your season is coming to a close
    Ours is winding up
    Fences on water on the go and ready for the birds today
    Name:  IMG_5617.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  1.08 MB
    EeeBees and nightshooter like this.

Name:  IMG_5634.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  1.11 MB
    Well that's it now the fun starts with all the feeding watering and then trying to stop them from going too far
    EeeBees and FatLabrador like this.