Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree4642Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Going try this puddle tonight
    Attachment 24464
    Looks like you are planning on poisoning them Dundee.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    How many ducks you getting a night ya mad bugger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fark all but don't get em sitting inside aye.
    Pointer likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Looks like you are planning on poisoning them Dundee.
    Restarting the dam syphon there Rushy,containers were full of water not acid
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Few pics tonight sitting with my cuddly dog.....none came in.
    Name:  picture 3777.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  164.8 KBName:  picture 3778.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  165.1 KBName:  picture 3779.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  164.6 KBName:  picture 3780.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  164.8 KBName:  picture 3781.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  164.7 KBName:  picture 3782.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  164.1 KB
    mrs dundee likes this.
    CFD

You dont shoot the same pond every night do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Fark all but don't get em sitting inside aye.
    Good keen man

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You dont shoot the same pond every night do you?
    No I don't Toby after going to town last night and heading out later than usual to the big pond,get half way there only to see stock in the paddock. Change of plans but the numbers were still nill at our later location.Name:  picture 3667.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  164.9 KB
    mrs dundee likes this.
    CFD

Tonights effort, Pip was a bit excited at the start never been there with her before but she came right in the end. The 2 parries were awesome. I shot one dad shot 1. I thought I missed mine they were flying past so fast after I shot it looked like it was still moving forward as I followed through about to shoot again before I noticed it dropping down. Didn't help their wings were cupped and they were set on landing behind us. Got another band too which is cool

Fell over in the water we were shooting on in the paddock got a wet ass 2 gum boots filled with water stupid ass cow trots, bung legs and darkness don't make for a enjoyable walk
    EeeBees, mrs dundee and Scouser like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Stop you bloody whining Toby. Pengy and Scouser will think there is another Pom on the forum.
    Petros_mk, Scouser and Gibo like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Got one tonight,quite a strong SW blowing. Also had a dabchick on the pond witch was entertaining as it dived under to resurface elsewhere.
    Name:  picture 3792.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  161.8 KBName:  picture 3794.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  162.9 KB
    Toby likes this.
    CFD

We had our worst night on Saturday with only a few shootable ones coming in but not hitting any, funniest thing was my grandson was more excited about firing 2 shots at them after the single shot .410 the side by side with .410 inserts has him thinking he is king Billy LOL we are waiting for his u/o to arrive so I can cut it down to his size (he is 8years old) but I told him he has to sell his single shot to help pay for the new gun. If you have kids or grandkids wanting to get into duckshooting don't wait its fantastic fun just teaching them.
    Pointer, Gapped axe and Gibo like this.

Continuing with the idea of breaking away from my "here's a photo of a dead thing" here's a short write up.

This morning I headed out at the crack, to a spot an hour or so away. It is largely rolling hills cropped in lucerne, with massive patches of gorse dispersed throughout providing ample cover. I have found it seems to hunt better about mid-morning, as the birds have fed right out into the open, providing excellent running:

Name:  WP_20140522_011.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  497.1 KB

There are ample roosting trees, and tons of old man inkweed. This bush under a stand of pines would be over 6 foot tall. Where there's inkweed there's roosters:

Name:  WP_20140522_010.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  605.1 KB

We had the wind right from where parked at the farmers shed, so set the dog loose. The lucerne was too low here, so I could see birds getting up and away maybe 50m ahead of the dogs beat. Nothing to do but pick her up and get to the next field where the lucerne would have been about calf height, much better cover.

What a difference a bit of cover makes. on her first cast to my left, she had a find off the bat. Since she is a young dog in her first bird season, I am only shooting to her points to ensure it all sinks in, and maintaining her steadiness to wing and shot... Think whistle in mouth while shooting sort of stuff. I asked her to produce, which she did, and one hen got up. She usually drops to flush , but not today, she remained on point. So I stepped towards her to enforce the drop, and a second hen got away. This time she dropped. Cheeky bitch!

Now where there's girls there's boys. While hens will sit, often their wing beats will send crafty older cocks running as opposed to flying. So how to deal with a crafty running birds? Look for the most likely looking bit of nearby cover, and send the dog downwind of his planned escape route. In this case a stand of gorse alongside a fenceline. I sent Betty left, she got three quarters of the way to the fence, maybe 40m, and locked up. The rest is history, well for this bird anyway. Just when you thought I'd changed, here are the dead thing photos:

Name:  WP_20140522_003.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  647.7 KB

Name:  WP_20140522_006.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  784.6 KB

Steady to wing and shot, retrieved to hand, I'm very happy with her and there is a quick round of "gooood girls" for Betty. Where do you go from there? When it's going good, it can only go backwards so picked her up and home we went!

Wasn't until I got him home I had a look at him. A young bird, with very small spurs, I'd guess a yearling or thereabouts. Yet he went 28 bars on his tail? Must have been living well in the crops. What the pictures don't convey is his weight, I'd like to find some scales and weigh him. For a small bird, he's heavy. And I certainly can't say that's due to all the lead I put in him

Baz, (aka 'onesie' due to all his loose skin) the new recruit, approves

Name:  WP_20140522_013.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  639.8 KB
    Last edited by Pointer; 22-05-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Continuing with the idea of breaking away from my "here's a photo of a dead thing" here's a short write up.

This morning I headed out at the crack, to a spot an hour or so away. It is largely rolling hills cropped in lucerne, with massive patches of gorse dispersed throughout providing ample cover. I have found it seems to hunt better about mid-morning, as the birds have fed right out into the open, providing excellent running:

Attachment 24547

There are ample roosting trees, and tons of old man inkweed. This bush under a stand of pines would be over 6 foot tall. Where there's inkweed there's roosters:

Attachment 24548

We had the wind right from where parked at the farmers shed, so set the dog loose. The lucerne was too low here, so I could see birds getting up and away maybe 50m ahead of the dogs beat. Nothing to do but pick her up and get to the next field where the lucerne would have been about calf height, much better cover.

What a difference a bit of cover makes. on her first cast to my left, she had a find off the bat. Since she is a young dog in her first bird season, I am only shooting to her points to ensure it all sinks in, and maintaining her steadiness to wing and shot... Think whistle in mouth while shooting sort of stuff. I asked her to produce, which she did, and one hen got up. She usually drops to flush , but not today, she remained on point. So I stepped towards her to enforce the drop, and a second hen got away. This time she dropped. Cheeky bitch!

Now where there's girls there's boys. While hens will sit, often their wing beats will send crafty older cocks running as opposed to flying. So how to deal with a crafty running birds? Look for the most likely looking bit of nearby cover, and send the dog downwind of his planned escape route. In this case a stand of gorse alongside a fenceline. I sent Betty left, she got three quarters of the way to the fence, maybe 40m, and locked up. The rest is history, well for this bird anyway. Just when you thought I'd changed, here are the dead thing photos:

Attachment 24549

Attachment 24550

Steady to wing and shot, retrieved to hand, I'm very happy with her and there is a quick round of "gooood girls" for Betty. Where do you go from there? When it's going good, it can only go backwards so picked her up and home we went!

Wasn't until I got him home I had a look at him. A young bird, with very small spurs, I'd guess a yearling or thereabouts. Yet he went 28 bars on his tail? Must have been living well in the crops. What the pictures don't convey is his weight, I'd like to find some scales and weigh him. For a small bird, he's heavy. And I certainly can't say that's due to all the lead I put in him

Baz, (aka 'onesie' due to all his loose skin) the new recruit, approves

Attachment 24552
    I knew it was coming the whole time Great progress with Betty
    Pointer likes this.

Brilliant Pointer, found that really interesting as i know F/all about upland bird hunting......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Thanks Scouser, that was kind of the point - to share a story that highlights how both fun and interesting it can be, and hopefully promote the sport to a few more people as upland shooters can be so secretive. All good fun - glad you enjoyed
    Munsey and Scouser like this.