Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree4642Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

Yup. about 2-2.30 at the car park.

Nah I havent seen the one in the maize for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Crickey Dundee, Jess has got more displacement than the Titanic...

Yes she sure provides a launch will add an old pic later.Usually too dark too get good photos of the launch.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Well he has or should have learned the rule "never slam the door when goin hunting"

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Went to the river just pulled up, had my brother this time. I got the gun locked doors was ready to go he's still fucking around he slams the door shut and the rooster I have been after all season gets up and fucks off across the river. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper but thats the way the cookie crumbled
    you can pick your friends toby but not your rellies
    Toby and mrs dundee like this.

Here is some old footage. The quote missed the dog was "I thought I missed her launch"

mrs dundee likes this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

ADG
    Four ducks each weekend so far, mostly Mallards this year, whereas last year was mostly Paradise. Then one Pheasant for me and one for my Pal yesterday. About the right amount of birds, enough to eat, puts some in the freezer and not too much work, but some enjoyable hunting. Started a new immigrant into the sport of chasing ducks as well. Not ducks for him yet, still on the clay birds but starting to come onto the target consistently so perhaps in a week or two, he can try his hand.

Seen a few quail, fist covey was about 20 birds, but with no dog and them flying off over tall scrub, no shooting, but as I was picking up a couple of rocks to hurl into the bushes a couple more flushed and over open ground. Of course not ready. But a few days later got a shot at one lone bird the went up and behind me. He got off free. Hopefully this weeks forecast easterlies are not to bad as I intend to bag some quail.

Managed a few pigeons as well.
    gadgetman and Toby like this.

Found some old footage of the 2011 season,has music added so it might not stay on utube for long.Here is hoping as it was a great season.
    initiaz likes this.
    CFD

First brownie of the year

Name:  Small quail.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  942.7 KB
    Petros_mk, Dundee, EeeBees and 4 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Well done
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Can a guy cry if he finally got a shot at a certain pheasant and missed both times?

I went to this place where there is toi tois and kinda bushy/open stuff that I think pheasants would like so figured at 5 maybe he goes there to snooze in the trees around that area then I heard him take off from behind me but couldn't see him. SOunded pretty far though so I walked 400 or some meters down towards him back up the river when I thought I might as well go home it's getting dark (all clouded over about to piss down) so turned around when I heard a magpie. Hmmm I'm gonna shoot them I haven't shot a magpie in ages. So I head over to the tree they were in when he comes flying out of the tree they were in and BOOM miss fuck BOOM miss. If it was a movie the next 10 mintues would be beeeeeeepppppppppp. I'm going to pattern the gun tomorrow cause going off my shooting during duck shooting he should be dead so gonna check to make sure it isn't this new ammo thats the problem. Hope it's the ammo/choke combination thats wrong. If it was me just missing then I think I might actually get a tear in my eye.

Tissues?
    Pointer likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Can a guy cry if he finally got a shot at a certain pheasant and missed both times?
    Of course he can, Toby: weep on ye valiant Ybanger..it is not so much the missing: what brings a tear to the eye is knowing that a bird with a brain the size of a pea has managed, yet again and by whatever means, to elude the oven...
    veitnamcam, Pointer and Toby like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I went to this place where there is toi tois and kinda bushy/open stuff that I think pheasants would like so figured at 5 maybe he goes there to snooze in the trees around that area then I heard him take off from behind me but couldn't see him. SOunded pretty far though so I walked 400 or some meters down towards him back up the river when I thought I might as well go home it's getting dark (all clouded over about to piss down) so turned around when I heard a magpie. Hmmm I'm gonna shoot them I haven't shot a magpie in ages. So I head over to the tree they were in when he comes flying out of the tree they were in and BOOM miss fuck BOOM miss. If it was a movie the next 10 mintues would be beeeeeeepppppppppp. I'm going to pattern the gun tomorrow cause going off my shooting during duck shooting he should be dead so gonna check to make sure it isn't this new ammo thats the problem. Hope it's the ammo/choke combination thats wrong. If it was me just missing then I think I might actually get a tear in my eye.
    Hate to say it Toby but I have generally found in life that the operator is usually the cause of "issues" rather than the equipment as much as I prefer the other way round. I bet you lifted your head for the second shot.
    Pointer likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    First brownie of the year

Attachment 25351
    Go Betty!!!! I would love to get the Bretons on those!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Hate to say it Toby but I have generally found in life that the operator is usually the cause of "issues" rather than the equipment as much as I prefer the other way round. I bet you lifted your head for the second shot.
    Probably had it up for the first shot too. He came right over head and I know I was gawking at him, never took my eyes off him. I have no idea how I shoot tbh I normally just pull the trigger and things fall over or keep going.

Still going to check the ammo