Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree4642Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

best joke youve made in ages hahah
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

The research has shown that all but a few hunters fail to achieve the daily bag limit. So total hunter harvest and it's relationship to Gamebird populations is not a function of bag limits.

By all means, shoot one bird and feel good about 'leaving some for the next guy'.....but the reality is, it won't actually mean more birds around for next year. Species management cannot be distilled down to simply adjusting the bag limit or season length.
    EeeBees likes this.

does that even make sense ??? most guys shoot their bag limit of?????? pheasant or duck ??? very different

From annual hunter harvest surveys which includes all gamebird species.

for any gamebird,all year round habitat is essential for their survival.people pressure through land clearance for housing,agricultural practises of spraying and edge clearance,as in the ugly bootprint of industralised dairying,means that gamebirds won't survive.we expect a lot,but what are we doing to enhance upland game habitat?in the 40 years i have been shooting, bird habitat has been less and less every year,plus there are now a lot more pesticde toxins in the environment.the future is not good.education would be a start.

i just got off the phone with a gent who has been involved with acclimatization society / fish and game for over 40 years . i have asked him to send me an email of his long history of bird shooting in the lower west coast region of the north island -next week he said he would so that will be insightful i hope .we chatted about how in the uk farmers are paid to leave their drains open but sided with weeds and hedge rows wider --they understand conservation of birds . farming has defiantly destroyed much good land and will keep happening with the consistent loss of bird life sadly

my friend mentioned that Taranaki region i think he said puts something like 80% of monies collected back into game back on the ground ... dont quote me but i will confirm that

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    my friend mentioned that Taranaki region i think he said puts something like 80% of monies collected back into game back on the ground ... dont quote me but i will confirm that
    Unlikely. Looking at their Operational Budget, Taranaki F&G annual expenses Exceeds their revenue and so are subsidized by other Regions.

They do spend approx $30k on the hatchery and releases, but 75% of their budget is spent on salaries, the next highest expense being buildings (lease presumably) and vehicles.

WOW .... THATS A SHIT LOAD but 75% of their budget is spent on salaries, the next highest expense being buildings (lease presumably) and vehicles.

Ill check and clarify what my friend told me --who it was he was talking of

Taranaki region is not alone. If the purchase of a Gamebird license was voluntary and people bought them based on their perception of the value that F&G provides to the species under their management, then no one would buy one and F&G would have been bankrupted years ago.

All of the above just re-affirms my belief that if we want to continue to harvest at the rate we do, then we need to put back more than what our license fee allows others to do on our behalf; be it by trapping, planting, seeding birds.... the future is in the hands of users rather than govenors.

then it's time to address the whole situation.
    those govenors have ridden the coat tails of the work put in years ago for far to long.... time for them to spend what money they do have left to replenish the larder.

the larder is full of toyota hilux's. the thing is who will represent , who will have a vision and knowledge to put a plan forward .l who can pition government for farmers to alter how they clear land without a provision of the hunter in mind . modernization will be the assassin of bird shooters and the shell be right attitude the cancer of growth .i dont have the knowledge to do it but will give my vote to someone that does

Its private land, so who are we to dictate to farmers how they should operate. In NZ, the gamebird provides no incentive to landowners to manage for their benefit….quite a different situation exists in Europe where there is the incentive for landowners to manage in the interests of gamebirds and the flow-on effects to other species also.